Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Marvel had negative consequences for darker storytelling whereas DC benefitted a lot and they were at their peak.
    They definitely faired better at times, but they did have their own handful of controversies.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Well Sunfire disappear quickly and Thunderbird got killed right away, So yeah franchise really does not have a good track record. I guess we should be worried for Synch and Sunfire.
    Synch has been a dead "nobody" (that's not my opinion that's looking at the overall value writers and many readers seem to have put on him since his death) for 20 years, until he is brought back to a likely unaware or uninterested audience and given two issues to turn him into a big deal and more or less new character, from which he is now given a position on THE big new X-men team.

That's basicly bringing him from 0-100 in a very short amount of time and such actions have a bad tendency to either end in a crash for the character (killed, suddently removed, quickly forgotten, etc.) or a steady deceleration (slowly fading into less and less prominent roles until becomming wallpaper or being forgotten).

So looking at how the patterns have been in the past, there is sadly a good chance Synch is not going to get much out of this spot on the X-men. Especialy when we look at Duggan's track record in Marauders where he seemed unable to work with the team he created to the fullest.

Worrying is a appropiate reaction i would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Synch has been a dead "nobody" (that's not my opinion that's looking at the overall value writers and many readers seem to have put on him since his death) for 20 years, until he is brought back to a likely unaware or uninterested audience and given two issues to turn him into a big deal and more or less new character, from which he is now given a position on THE big new X-men team.

That's basicly bringing him from 0-100 in a very short amount of time and such actions have a bad tendency to either end in a crash for the character (killed, suddently removed, quickly forgotten, etc.) or a steady deceleration (slowly fading into less and less prominent roles until becomming wallpaper or being forgotten).

So looking at how the patterns have been in the past, there is sadly a good chance Synch is not going to get much out of this spot on the X-men. Especialy when we look at Duggan's track record in Marauders where he seemed unable to work with the team he created to the fullest.

Oh, I have high hopes for Synch. Look at Illyana, dead for twenty plus years and a star since the first day she came back. Take into account that there is a generation of x-writers now who grew up reading Generation-X. God, am I old.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

Agree with most of what you've said. The 2 issue stint seems to have stirred some good interest in Synch, especially with how Hickman was able to add some more depth to Synch. I hope that his Vault experience is carried over and used in the new book. Yeah, Duggan is the "X" factor here. I'm still waiting for the talent that warranted multiple books to manifest in his writing. Hickman made me believe that Synch was the second coming of bad ass Bishop for 2 books. Hopefully Duggan is going unleash some solid work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Marvel had negative consequences for darker storytelling whereas DC benefitted a lot and they were at their peak.
    I completely disagree. DC going dark backfired a lot, while on Mrvel it brought some freshness and a base for MCU

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    That was the underlying ick factor of that entire story.

They really gave that story, that irredeemability, to what was in all practical senses 50% of the commonly known black X-Men and 100% of the known black male X-Men. Absolutely wild!
    It was easy to redeem him, it was just make him possessed with the Demon bear before going with a rampage to kill a kid.
    The fact that they choose to not do this relaly speak how badly X-office treat minority chaarcters, specially black ones
    Last edited by Rang10; 06-02-2021 at 09:18 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I completely disagree. DC going dark backfired a lot, while on Mrvel it brought some freshness and a base for MCU

It was easy to redeem him, it was just make him possessed with the Demon bear before going with a rampage to kill a kid.
    The fact that they choose to not do this relaly speak how badly X-office treat minority chaarcters, specially black ones
    Imo, possession or mind control is too ubiquitous an escape hatch, for a time traveller like Bishop they should have just used some Flashlike explanation that chronal jumps create time waves or ripples, the longer you do it or the greater the frequency it creates duplicate echoes of oneself like time remnants and the time remnants become more amplified versions of the prime copy so Bishop's time remnant that killed Charles was basically an insane version of the original Bishop lost in time.I mean don't forget not only did Bishop kill Xavier , he wanted to kill Hope in the Messiah war when Stryfe got her and was only forced to flee by Apocalypse that was never concluded either as he swore to find her and kill her, and now we have him all kumbaya with her being in the five. I guess with Moira you could presume he did that in his other lives and in this one he didn't.

Extraordinary Member

Wasn’t it revealed Bishop was possessed by the Demon Bear the whole time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Unless demon bears are many, didn't James free his tribe from one that was summoned by Bard to imprison his ancestors in the spirit realm? Furthermore in issue 10 of that run, Ghost rider supposedly teaches him to destroy its influence or hold, and we know James was there in the future with the rest of the team with Bishop and couldn't sense the Bear possessing Bishop? That kind of contrived dropping of the ball in a particular storythread across the same saga just drives me nuts.

No. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the possession didn't happen until afterwards, while he was stranded in the future after his storyline with Hope ended.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Man With The Stick View Post
    No. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the possession didn't happen until afterwards, while he was stranded in the future after his storyline with Hope ended.
    If that is true, then they completely blighted his character, if he was that murderous before supposed possession then I guess he's just had a clean slate on Krakoa but he's not far removed from the likes of Mystique but as I said the loophole that covers him now is that Moira has basically created a quasi multiverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    If that is true, then they completely blighted his character, if he was that murderous before supposed possession then I guess he's just had a clean slate on Krakoa but he's not far removed from the likes of Mystique but as I said the loophole that covers him now is that Moira has basically created a quasi multiverse.
    He'd been largely forgiven and welcomed back even before Krakoa, he was making semi-regular appearances in the X-books again for a couple of years before that and seemed to be getting along with most of the characters although there were some that were still a bit wary and resentful of him like Hope and Armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    The multi-universe was re-created at the end of Hickman's Secret Wars prior to HOX/POX but it still wasn't enough to wash it away.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Bishop was villainized for years so yes. The only other character that got it that bad was Genis-Vell.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Yes (that’s my head cannon and I’m sticking to it. Makes way more sense than the story.)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Yes (that’s my head cannon and I’m sticking to it. Makes way more sense than the story.)
    No, it doesn't. Why would Demon Bear want to kill Hope?

"Cable was right!"