Default Crush and Lobo #1 spoilers and discussion

Well hey whose ready to read about a more dysfunctional family relationship then Batman, because Crush got some issues. Now I want to say that while this is a number 1, very few things exist in a vacuum in a shared universe so this is really set after Teen Titans Academy #3 but it’s not necessary that you read that to get the full story here as Crush is narrating through breaking the fourth wall and we get some catch up on her life so far. Also those who mainly wanted the main man, well even though it says & Lobo he’s only in a handful of pages as this first issue belongs to Crush. That’s not to say he doesn’t have his moments and that it’s not setting him up to do more, Crush is just the star of the issue.

So what’s an alien girl abandoned by one of the deadliest beings in the galaxy and raised by petty thieves to do after rage quitting the Teen Titans? Beat up knock off Krang and ruin her girlfriend’s birthday party that’s what. But see she doesn’t ruin it by being a bad girlfriend or even because she’s a little late, as they actually have a great time together in a sweet Dancing scene, though I will say the girls parents look creepy as hell. No it’s because after a good alien buttkicking Crush didn’t clean her shoes and it dragged in alien chemicals that ignited into gas around candles. Yeah it doesn’t go well for the relationship after that but hey it doesn’t look like anyone died so plus there I guess, and let this be a friendly reminder to keep clean after being around potentially dangerous substances such as Alien goo

Anyway Emiko shows up later and wants to know basically what the heck is up with Crush and her attitude lately, especially since she keeps randomly shouting about her dad. Basically Lobo sent Crush a video message from space jail that he’s been gettin therapy and would like to talk and while it’s an obvious lie that everyone even Crush recognizes basically she’s going because Emiko surmises that if Crush doesn’t work out whatever problems she got and confront her dad she’s just going to keep ruining her own life. And thus Crush steals a spaceship from the Titans and goes off for a prison visit with her father that will no doubt turn into a jailbreak, I mean come on it’s Lobo.

So basically this is the dc version of a teenage girl working on her daddy issues, though likely with a bit more violence. I think it has the capability to be a lot of fun when all is said and done, not to mention that Crush is one of the newer Teen Titans that I actually liked from the recent run so I’d gladly read a story of her misadventures. I think Lobo fans will be a tad disappointed that he’s not in a lot of this issue, really only in end, but I do feel like it will make up for that in future issues. Either way I had an enjoyable time with this and continue to be glad dc is trying out more characters with miniseries as of late.
    Last edited by sifighter; 06-01-2021 at 05:50 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Always Rakzo

Was pretty excited about this, loving Glass' Teen Titans and all, but this was a complete disappointment. Dialogue was obnoxious, the new girlfriend is just unremarkable and Tamaki wants us to care about her despite of it and the dynamic between Crush and Lobo feels like regression since most of those issues were solved before.

Art was nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Was pretty excited about this, loving Glass' Teen Titans and all, but this was a complete disappointment. Dialogue was obnoxious, the new girlfriend is just unremarkable and Tamaki wants us to care about her despite of it and the dynamic between Crush and Lobo feels like regression since most of those issues were solved before.

Art was nice though.
    Wasn’t the last time they saw each other in Year of the villain when Lobo attempted to mind control Crush and nearly force her to kill her friends on the Titans?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Always Rakzo

I'm actually talking about the character work beyond that issue in Glass' run.

Alright then I must be forgetting something then
    Words to live by.

Did they met outside of this run ? AS far as I remember, Crush kicked his butt with the help of the TT but then it was kind of swept under the rug. It didn't really surprised me that she is so jumpy because of Lobo calling her.

I suspect she'll return to the Academy once the mini is over and she'll have dealt with her issues. I really loved this first episode by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    [...]Basically Lobo sent Crush a video message from space jail that he’s been gettin therapy and would like to talk... [...]
    I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate the beauty of this sentence lmao

Just read the issue and I enjoyed it! I actually like the tone of the writing so far. It's skirting the edge of trying too hard to be funny, but doesn't quite cross that line with me yet. The girlfriend *situation* (the comedy potential of Crush trying to be in a normal relationship, like Lobo and Katie's aggressively normal parents maybe meeting for brunch...) is more interesting than the girlfriend herself. But I feel like if Crush is going to be doing space father-daughter time, the girlfriend stuff won't be important going forward. Anyway, #1 was fun, though mostly exposition.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate the beauty of this sentence lmao

Just read the issue and I enjoyed it! I actually like the tone of the writing so far. It's skirting the edge of trying too hard to be funny, but doesn't quite cross that line with me yet. The girlfriend *situation* (the comedy potential of Crush trying to be in a normal relationship, like Lobo and Katie's aggressively normal parents maybe meeting for brunch...) is more interesting than the girlfriend herself. But I feel like if Crush is going to be doing space father-daughter time, the girlfriend stuff won't be important going forward. Anyway, #1 was fun, though mostly exposition.
    I didn't hate #1, as it was about 80% setup for the mini. And Crush basically breaking the 4th Wall like Lobo has done with her narrative, does speak to how the series will go I think.

The girlfriend's parents being supportive of their lesbian daughter thankfully removed that bit of possible drama. Though I'm not sure if they're putting on a facade with Crush or not. That's the only part I'm unsure of.

And if you think about it, Crush does have more in common with her bio-dad than the rest of the Czarnians. She's just toned down and has a stronger moral compass (Lobo does have one, but it basically begins and ends with dolphins).

Which is actually surprising if you think about it, as her adoptive parents were thieves.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member Grandmaster_J's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So what’s an alien girl abandoned by one of the deadliest beings in the galaxy and raised by petty thieves to do after rage quitting the Teen Titans?
    Well, I wouldn't use the word abandoned since he didn't know she existed till TT, but yeah I can say only thing I liked was just the interaction with, Emiko. I never expected her to appear even though they are best friends so that was good. Lobo himself, he's obviously got to be shown more, and speak the way we're used to, or I'll probably stop reading. Crush's girlfriend design was a little off.

At least Crush held on to Robin's bike she jacked in issue 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Which is actually surprising if you think about it, as her adoptive parents were thieves.
    Yeah, but they also always told her that her biological parents were heroes and when she was young they tried to hide from her what they were doing. It's not so surprising she got some heroic qualities that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I didn't hate #1, as it was about 80% setup for the mini. And Crush basically breaking the 4th Wall like Lobo has done with her narrative, does speak to how the series will go I think.

The girlfriend's parents being supportive of their lesbian daughter thankfully removed that bit of possible drama. Though I'm not sure if they're putting on a facade with Crush or not. That's the only part I'm unsure of.

And if you think about it, Crush does have more in common with her bio-dad than the rest of the Czarnians. She's just toned down and has a stronger moral compass (Lobo does have one, but it basically begins and ends with dolphins).
    I wasn't suspicious of Katie's parents until you said they could be putting on a facade, which made me imagine them secretly being terrifying alien creatures in human suits. Which is probably not what you meant, but now I can't unthink it.

I also am now hoping for dolphins in this series. If there's no dolphins, I will be disappointed.