Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

spencers got way way more issues after 75 zdarsky on free comic day spidey is to push his what if spider stories..while the new one is quite good and quality wise they are great they just are not moving the sales needle at all that marvel hoped and with several more spidey stories planned for this what if format marvel wants to give them a push

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I always thought he would do 100 issues (actually 99). It would give Marvel the big #900 and a brand new #1 the following month. All in spidey's 60th anniversary year to boot.
    That’s exactly what I think, too. And what better way than either a marriage or at least clarification/closure on OMD

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    L.R. was the only excessive issues in his run imo.Hunted tie-in was fantastic.The giant-sizes are just to push the pace imo.
    Talking about pace 2 issues per month is necessary imo.Anything less or more isn't good.
    I don't mind 3-4 issues per month because we don't have a secondary Spider-man(Peter obv) title like Friendly Neighbourhood or Spectacular .
    2 issues a month is fine. But the added stuff does catch up with a writer. Even Slott had to get help in the form of Christos Gage. Spencer has Rosenberg. But Nick has said that, as a writer, he is 1 - 2 issues max. I don't know if he works in full scripts or uses the Marvel Method (Slott said he managed the excessive load at times by doing that).

Non-Stop WAS supposed to fill that secondary title. But it has suffered numerous delays and rescheduling. So that one isn't entirely stable at the moment.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    That’s exactly what I think, too. And what better way than either a marriage or at least clarification/closure on OMD
    Not sure about a marriage. But I do feel he is going to address OMD. This latest issue had Otto's deal with Mephisto revealed to him by Kindred. So Nick is building to that. It is the crux of his run. So he is going to do something with it.

I'd laugh my ass off if he actually DID get the go ahead to reverse it. Then all the naysayers will be like, "oh King Nick, the greatest Spidey writer!"

Not sure about a marriage. But I do feel he is going to address OMD. This latest issue had Otto's deal with Mephisto revealed to him by Kindred. So Nick is building to that. It is the crux of his run. So he is going to do something with it.

I'd laugh my ass off if he actually DID get the go ahead to reverse it. Then all the naysayers will be like, "oh King Nick, the greatest Spidey writer!"
    so tru whoever remarries Mj and Peter will receive the highest praise probably second to Lee and Dikto
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

I so disagree. Even Dan Slott talked about being allowed to write Renew Your Vows and if he was allowed to do that, why would Spencer not be allowed to bring back the marriage if he is so inclined? Not to mention he wrote a story as controversial as OMD ( if not more) in Hydra Cap and Marvel did not put a stop to that. Instead of restoring the marriage, it is beat up on Peter and make him look like a loser. If Marvel has removed him from the book ( which I suspect) it is because of the length of Kindred ( look up an infamous ustory called Who is Red John from a show called The Mentalist and you will see something similar), and the opportunity to bring Zdarsky to Amazing. If I am wrong I will stand up and take my medicine ( I am a big boy). We shall see. I still think it is interesting that Zdarsky is writing Peter versus Eddie along with the new Venom team and not Nick Spencer. Why is that?
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 06-03-2021 at 02:52 PM.

2 issues a month is fine. But the added stuff does catch up with a writer. Even Slott had to get help in the form of Christos Gage. Spencer has Rosenberg. But Nick has said that, as a writer, he is 1 - 2 issues max. I don't know if he works in full scripts or uses the Marvel Method (Slott said he managed the excessive load at times by doing that).

Non-Stop WAS supposed to fill that secondary title. But it has suffered numerous delays and rescheduling. So that one isn't entirely stable at the moment.
    This is what I'm sayin'. They ain't gonna get many all-time classics outta their Amazing writers if this is what they're constantly expecting of them. Currently not buying ASM because of all the overloading and extra-sized one-shots where essential story beats happen. It's gross. I love Spidey but I'm not supporting those kinds of tactics while they pretend they're doing us favors giving more ASM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Will there be an issue 75? I can see it being a new #1 instead. Chip Zdarsky writing if the Free Comic Book Day listing is any indication.
    75th issue milestones aren't that big a deal, but it seems 75 would be a bigger deal than 876, so if Spencer's run were ending then, why not do it that way?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Where is the confirmation that Zdarsky is taking over?
    No confirmation, but from my understanding he is one of the writers of the Spider-Man/ Venom Free Comic Book Day Special.

There are two Marvel Free Comic Book Day specials. Avengers/ Hulk has a story by Jason Aaron, who writes Avengers. The Hulk recently got a new writer in Donny Cates (Venom)

Spider-Man/ Venom has a story by Zdarsky, and Venom has new writers in Al Ewing (Immortal Hulk) and Ram V (Swamp Thing)

It does seem likely that Zdarsky will have a major Spider-Man project coming up.

This doesn't mean he's taking up Amazing Spider-Man.

But it would be a way to kick off his run if he were.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I so disagree. Even Dan Slott talked about being allowed to write Renew Your Vows and if he was allowed to do that, why would Spencer not be allowed to bring back the marriage if he is so inclined? Not to mention he wrote a story as controversial as OMD ( if not more) in Hydra Cap and Marvel did not put a stop to that. Instead of restoring the marriage, it is beat up on Peter and make him look like a loser. If Marvel has removed him from the book ( which I suspect) it is because of the length of Kindred ( look up an infamous ustory called Who is Red John from a show called The Mentalist and you will see something similar), and the opportunity to bring Zdarsky to Amazing. If I am wrong I will stand up and take my medicine ( I am a big boy). We shall see. I still think it is interesting that Zdarsky is writing Peter versus Eddie along with the new Venom team and not Nick Spencer. Why is that?
    Spencer might not have a interest in telling that story. Zdarsky also handled the X-men/Fantastic Four mini when neither Slott nor Hickman had interest in doing it themselves. That is something I love about Zdarsky: his versatility in playing with toys other writers are using without upsetting what they are doing. Ewing may be the star player, but Zdarsky is the real MVP over at Marvel.

The Kindred reveal is nothing compared to the other mysteries the book has tossed at readers (Hobgoblin took, what, over 10 years to finally see a legit resolution after constant fake-outs? The Green Goblin reveal took 26 odd issues). The only difference is Spencer is continuing to keep his cards to his chest. You don't know who the culprit is, or their true motive, until the story's climax. This is no different. Patience, my friend. If I could tolerate 4 added years of Slott on the book (when the guy clearly should have left post-superior), then enduring Spencer is nothing.

As for Red John, that did drag. I do agree with you on that. That story should have wrapped a season earlier and the show should have gone with it once it did.

Peter has always been down on his luck. Slott made him a billionaire and took it all away. Spencer is just keeping the tradition going. All writers do it to a degree. Even when Peter wins, he ultimately loses somewhere else. But it isn't a coincidence things are unraveling for Peter. It is a domino effect and I wouldn't be surprised if it was caused by whatever is going on with Kindred. Who knows, it might even be because of Mephisto for all we know.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    This is what I'm sayin'. They ain't gonna get many all-time classics outta their Amazing writers if this is what they're constantly expecting of them. Currently not buying ASM because of all the overloading and extra-sized one-shots where essential story beats happen. It's gross. I love Spidey but I'm not supporting those kinds of tactics while they pretend they're doing us favors giving more ASM.
    The multiple shipping on the title has been in place now since about 07 (I think). So I don't see the title going back to monthly. However, I do agree that the recent deluge of specials and point issues are a bit much. The only storyline where the point issues made sense in Spencer's run is Hunted. Those ones for Last Remains where superfluous. Especially since updates on what the Order Of The Web were doing could have amounted to 1-2 pages in the main Amazing book (But pretty sure that might be editorial who dictates that).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    75th issue milestones aren't that big a deal, but it seems 75 would be a bigger deal than 876, so if Spencer's run were ending then, why not do it that way?
    Remember the days when they were? 25, 50, 75 and 100. The memories...

The multiple shipping on the title has been in place now since about 07 (I think). So I don't see the title going back to monthly. However, I do agree that the recent deluge of specials and point issues are a bit much. The only storyline where the point issues made sense in Spencer's run is Hunted. Those ones for Last Remains where superfluous. Especially since updates on what the Order Of The Web were doing could have amounted to 1-2 pages in the main Amazing book (But pretty sure that might be editorial who dictates that).
    Yeah, 3 times a month for BND was under Wacker's editorial prevue and they stuck to it for 100 issues (I remember there was a point where issues came out 5 weeks in a row), I imagine it would have been easier on the writers considered there was at least 4 at a time and they all had jobs divided rather than 1 writer who is doing twice a month and all the side content (with a little help from Rosenberg occasionally).

I'm not a fan of it and I think my problems more lie with editorial making so much side content flow out so much and make it more important than the actual main title. I honestly miss the days of reliably longrunning B titles cause editorial would at least get their Spidey almost every week craving and not stretch the ASM writer too thin, plus the B titles were usually quite good in their own right even if they didn't sell as well as Amazing.

Yeah, COVID is still having knock-on effects. They still haven't resolicited Darkhold, or solicited the Dark Ages series that launched in FCBD last year, and they only just started Infinite Destinies a year late. Non-Stop finally launched a couple of months ago, but I'll honestly be surprised if we're still seeing new solicits for it come Christmas. It just lost it's pre-launch momentum.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, COVID is still having knock-on effects. They still haven't resolicited Darkhold, or solicited the Dark Ages series that launched in FCBD last year, and they only just started Infinite Destinies a year late. Non-Stop finally launched a couple of months ago, but I'll honestly be surprised if we're still seeing new solicits for it come Christmas. It just lost it's pre-launch momentum.
    I swear I saw a article that said Darkhold might not happen until 2022. Think it was Bleeding Cool.

Non-Stop has been a bit of a debacle. So I agree that one will likely disappear. They'll probably just repurpose it into a mini-series or something.