Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    When you put it all like that with Reed, I really hate what writers have done with these characters.
    Is it the really the writers fault though and not the higher ups in some cases? I mean i am not saying the writers are excused but it can't just be them right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Is it the really the writers fault though and not the higher ups in some cases? I mean i am not saying the writers are excused but it can't just be them right?
    I think this is a both case.

Mighty Member

I'd also add time to that. That's why practically every old school hero has committed some horrible murder/act at one point. You can only write these characters for so long before you break some rules (like heroes not killing/hurting others). :/

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I think this is a both case.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I'd also add time to that. That's why practically every old school hero has committed some horrible murder/act at one point. You can only write these characters for so long before you break some rules (like heroes not killing/hurting others). :/
    I basically agree with all of these things. I’d also add that when Marvel-Disney is greatly rewarded for boiling down the nut of the Civil War story to just Cap vs. Iron Man, with different motivations, it encourages things like Reed cloning a murderous Thor who likes killing some of Marvel’s unsung heroes, like Bill Foster. I’m not sure why Marvel editorial confuses becoming evil with character growth, though.

Astonishing Member

Honestly I’d be more interested in the ‘Steve as the cuckoos’ dad” theory than there being a sixth cuckoo

Anybody Spot Nick Foles yet?

Incredible Member

Did your parents have your consent to do whatever they did to you? I do not know the answer to that, but I can state most emphatically my parents did plenty to me without my consent, LoL! :-)
    Did any of that cross the line into what most would consider abuse? Like experimenting on a child in the fashion Reed did most likely would be?
    Last edited by rcaguy; 06-04-2021 at 04:26 PM.

All-New Member

Who are the male and female characters with white hair behind Emma when she is acknowledging sacrifice and hard work?

Quote Originally Posted by fotofanatic28 View Post
    Who are the male and female characters with white hair behind Emma when she is acknowledging sacrifice and hard work?
    Fenris

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Reed isn't a villain with shady plans. Xavier has a story of shady plans that backfire
    No...Reed's plans don't tend to be shady..they're right in the open "Hey look at the evil clone of my dead friend I made!"
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Did any of that cross the line into what most would consider abuse? Like experimenting on a child in the fashion Reed did most likely would be?
    No, but there’s no indication Reed abused Franklin. Don’t be silly.

Astonishing Member

No, but there’s no indication Reed abused Franklin. Don’t be silly.
    I wouldn't say abused but body autonomy is definitely called into question.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I wouldn't say abused but body autonomy is definitely called into question.
    Show me a child with autonomy and I’ll show you a spoiled brat.

No one gave me a choice about getting my shots, getting regular checkups or turning and coughing for sports physicals, etc. Kids don’t have autonomy let alone “body” autonomy. I’m not defending child abuse, but Reed Richards the scientist performing a minor medical procedure to protect his son as he sees fit does not qualify as abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    Reed created a clone Thor that killed Bill Foster. Reed built an extra-dimensional prison to put other super-heroes. Reed formed a secret society that was about destroying universes.
    I mean, say what you will about Xavier, but the creation of Onslaught at least was some weird accident, not a deliberate plan.
    So? Franklin is his son. Regardless of what he may have done in the past, he SHOULD be wary of anybody that tried to kidnap and abuse his young child's powers for evil

IMO this isnt something you ever forget or truly move past and Im surprised it isnt brought up in their current interactions
    Last edited by Havok83; 06-07-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Astonishing Member

Show me a child with autonomy and I’ll show you a spoiled brat.

No one gave me a choice about getting my shots, getting regular checkups or turning and coughing for sports physicals, etc. Kids don’t have autonomy let alone “body” autonomy. I’m not defending child abuse, but Reed Richards the scientist performing a minor medical procedure to protect his son as he sees fit does not qualify as abuse.
    What? What even is this response? Yes children have body autonomy! I think you're confusing legality with morality just because something is legal doesn't make it right but at the same time I also think you're downplaying the severity of what Reed did to Franklin. Franklin is a teenager this isn't some newborn we're talking about. And no he didn't before a minor medical procedure on his side he performed an extremely invasive and immoral one on his teenage son without his consent.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    What? What even is this response? Yes children have body autonomy! I think you're confusing legality with morality just because something is legal doesn't make it right but at the same time I also think you're downplaying the severity of what Reed did to Franklin. Franklin is a teenager this isn't some newborn we're talking about. And no he didn't before a minor medical procedure on his side he performed an extremely invasive and immoral one on his teenage son without his consent.
    What did Reed do? In X-Men/FF he didn’t do anything. Franklin used up all his powers. And then he wasn’t a mutant. Or maybe he never was. Reed has never been shown to be an abusive father, so come off this b.s. about Reed doing invasive things that he didn’t even do. At worst, hypothetically, he did something minor to protect his kid from Xavier and Magneto. Or maybe he did nothing.

Reed didn’t torture Franklin anymore than any of us were as children when we forced to take a bath or get a shot at a doctor’s office, or when someone is forced to get a wisdom tooth removed, etc.

Save the worry about child abuse for real people, not a 50+ year old character with fictional parents who have always been portrayed as loving their fictional son.

The Richards’ attitudes toward raising their daughter Valeria, on the other hand, maybe a different story, what with Doom and all that...
    Last edited by Brian B; 06-07-2021 at 07:40 PM.