Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    You can't expect a writer to come in and do what the previous writer did. That's just imitation and it'd just end up being a poor man's version of Ewing. Cates may still acknowledge, or even carryy on, some of the developments of Ewing's run. But he has to do his own take and shifting away from Ewing might be the only way to prevent comparisons. Besides, Cates is a decent horror writer. So I wouldn't entirerule it out.

Ottley isn't the artist I'd have gone with. But his cartoonish style is suitable for big, bombastic characters and action (same with Ed McGuinness).

I'll follow Hulk as I have done for decades. There has only ever been one run that I have entirely loathed in the last 10 years and that was Aaron.
    No i dont want him to copy Ewing. In fact i wanna take a break from the horror stuff and this seems to be doing that. With that said i see this as a copy of what Aaron did a decade ago and its no wonder with Cates being his fanboy, so i have no hope in seeing the same story we saw many times before.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    You can't expect a writer to come in and do what the previous writer did. That's just imitation and it'd just end up being a poor man's version of Ewing. Cates may still acknowledge, or even carryy on, some of the developments of Ewing's run. But he has to do his own take and shifting away from Ewing might be the only way to prevent comparisons. Besides, Cates is a decent horror writer. So I wouldn't entirerule it out.

Ottley isn't the artist I'd have gone with. But his cartoonish style is suitable for big, bombastic characters and action (same with Ed McGuinness).

I'll follow Hulk as I have done for decades. There has only ever been one run that I have entirely loathed in the last 10 years and that was Aaron.
    I agree with a caveat I do expect a feasible explanation of how we get from the ending of one run to the beginning of the next.

Sick of Banner and Hulk coming to an understanding only to be at odds again because it's a new #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    I agree with a caveat I do expect a feasible explanation of how we get from the ending of one run to the beginning of the next.

Sick of Banner and Hulk coming to an understanding only to be at odds again because it's a new #1.
    Maybe something happens at the end of Ewing's runs that effects the Hulk personalities so much that Bruce has to try and gain control again.

if this ends in a King in Black Type event......King in Green maybe

y'all should have seen it coming
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post

Yea i am sick of it too. If it happens it will literally be a repeat of Paks Hulk ending and Aaron beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe something happens at the end of Ewing's runs that effects the Hulk personalities so much that Bruce has to try and gain control again.
    Maybe but i seriously doubt it. As i said before Ewing said in an interview he hopes the next writers dont go for the Hulk vs Banner old dynamic since the system is much more complicated than that, so i doubt he personally would set up for something like that.

The only way it might make sense is if Cates maybe wakes up the dormant Green Scar/Gravage persona? But i doubt Cates evem knows about him lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    No i dont want him to copy Ewing. In fact i wanna take a break from the horror stuff and this seems to be doing that. With that said i see this as a copy of what Aaron did a decade ago and its no wonder with Cates being his fanboy, so i have no hope in seeing the same story we saw many times before.
    Nah. No way that it will be as bad as Aaron. Might be big on the dumb, action type stuff. But Aaron's run is in a league all its own. Which is so far down it sits beneath The One Below All.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This.

We really have to see what happens in Ewing's last issue. I do expect the doors to be closed because there is no way they remain open to allow someone like Sterns to gain access and take control again in the future. Doing so might adversely affect the Hulk. From what i have seen from various posts by Cates today, Bruce isnt looking to "cure" the Hulk. Instead he is looking for a way to bring him under control.

Have to wait until Immortal #50 drops. Then we will know.

Mighty Member

Unpopular Opinion: I am sick andd tired to see another A-Lister writer to write another A-Listed hero. Wish Marvel should give those A-Lister creative team to tackle on a B-C Listed Character i

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Don’t mind this is if it only ends up being 12 issues or so as a breather after Ewing’s big run.

I’ve followed Ottley since before Invincible so would read anything he’s on. Insanely talented and deserves a solid run on Spider-Man (not a few issues here and there)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’ll give it at least one arc, if it’s not my cup of tea, I’ll save some money.
    That's what I do.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Unpopular Opinion: I am sick andd tired to see another A-Lister writer to write another A-Listed hero. Wish Marvel should give those A-Lister creative team to tackle on a B-C Listed Character i
    There has only ever been a few runs that have elevated Hulk to A-list status. Before Ewing came along Hulk was B minus to C-list. Ewing elevated Hulk to a level he hasn't seen since the heyday of Peter David or Greg Pak's first stint.

But, it seems Marvel wants to keep the momentum going by handing it to Cates who, let's face it, has worked wonders on Venom. So much so he opened up a whole new mythos and propelled the book to being one of the best titles Marvel was publishing. If you had told me three years ago Venom and Hulk would be the stand outs at Marvel, I might have laughed and patted you on the back.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Don’t mind this is if it only ends up being 12 issues or so as a breather after Ewing’s big run.

I’ve followed Ottley since before Invincible so would read anything he’s on. Insanely talented and deserves a solid run on Spider-Man (not a few issues here and there)
    Not sure if it will be 12. I think Cates has implied it is longer (I predict 2 years). But I wouldn't mind a good 12 issue run (if it was to be the case). Some are predicting Ewing might be with Venom for awhile and then hand it off to Ram V.

Ultimate Member

I’ll reserve judgement on this until I read the first issue.

Ewing’s run has been so unexpectedly epic that it would always be tough to follow. It’s not likely we’ll get the dark horror vibe that Ewing went with nor the multiple alters that made Immortal Hulk so good.

That being said, Cates is one of my favorite writers and I’ve generally loved his stuff. I do hope there’s more to this than just the Banner vs the Hulk dynamic. The Hulk as a character has evolved beyond that and knowing what we know now it’d be a serious regression.

Kind of ironic that Cates and Ewing are switching titles. I enjoyed both of their runs and I have never read a solo issue of either Venom or Hulk, so I am willing to stick with them.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Invent new villains. And do not have Venom appear. that is all.