Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought it was likely they'd go back-to-basics with Hulk following Ewing's run, so I'm not too surprised. ....
    This. I had a similar thought. Nothing in particular just that after 4+ years with one tone that the characters next creative team would take the character tonally in another direction.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Boy have times changed... I know it’s not new, but back in the old days, the new writer would pick up from where the old one left off and ran with it, slowly making it theirs. Then the next writer would do the same. It rarely happens that way these days. I’m not saying it’s bad... just a change in the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    There has only ever been a few runs that have elevated Hulk to A-list status. Before Ewing came along Hulk was B minus to C-list. Ewing elevated Hulk to a level he hasn't seen since the heyday of Peter David or Greg Pak's first stint.

But, it seems Marvel wants to keep the momentum going by handing it to Cates who, let's face it, has worked wonders on Venom. So much so he opened up a whole new mythos and propelled the book to being one of the best titles Marvel was publishing. If you had told me three years ago Venom and Hulk would be the stand outs at Marvel, I might have laughed and patted you on the back.
    I think Hulk's an A-lister by pure public recognition but his comic hasn't been this popular since Pak.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Boy have times changed... I know it’s not new, but back in the old days, the new writer would pick up from where the old one left off and ran with it, slowly making it theirs. Then the next writer would do the same. It rarely happens that way these days. I’m not saying it’s bad... just a change in the times.
    It's weak editorial. Their not given enough authority to reign in writer's excesses.

Glad we're going back to basics, hopefully all this "green door" silliness can be silently forgotten. It was an interesting concept, but not really something I want in my Hulk mythos.

I am not a Hulk fan, but I have loved Immortal Hulk. This will give me the opportunity to seamlessly step away, which is what I was looking for. I hope everyone who reads this enjoys it!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Not all change is good change. My feeling is all this start/start/renumber publishing method where the writer has been given near supreme creative breadth with little editorial oversight has been more bad than good.

When is the last time a Marvel title got past #50 issues? Immortal Hulk is in rare air for sure in the publishing cycle of the last 15 years, especially at Marvel. DC has done better at trimming back on the frequency of the start/start/renumber.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I think we shall see how it goes. While Cates does have the tendency to break any eggs he has to in order to make his omelets (Thanos and Venom) he can also play a bit with continuity as was seen in Thor. Where he hasn't destroyed anything in particular from Aaron's era (probably because they are buddy buddies) so I'm hopeful that he won't just ignore Immortal Hulk and do something so drastically different as to forget it.

Kind of how Peter David's run began-his first ten or so issues were largely cleaning up the loose ends from the Bryne and Milgrom runs.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

We haven’t even read the finale, or Cates first issue, who’s to say what we’ll be getting from the team?

I like this method so much better, with obvious exceptions if the previous writer really ruined a character or went left field with their run. Sometimes even just a full arc to transition helps make these feel like ongoing stories instead of an endless of cycle of stops and starts. Not to say Cates won't do that.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I like this method so much better, with obvious exceptions if the previous writer really ruined a character or went left field with their run. Sometimes even just a full arc to transition helps make these feel like ongoing stories instead of an endless of cycle of stops and starts. Not to say Cates won't do that.
    No one is allowed the time to do that these days; if you don't hit a home run out of the park, your book's canceled.

An A-list writer might be given the leeway to spend an arc wrapping up old plot points, but if you're an A-lister why would you want to waste time doing that when you can just scorch the earth and start from your preferred point?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Glad we're going back to basics, hopefully all this "green door" silliness can be silently forgotten. It was an interesting concept, but not really something I want in my Hulk mythos.
    I agree, simple HULK SMASH BANNER BAD is way more entertaining /s.

50 issues is nothing compared to years and years of the same topics and plots, but yep, hooray, status quo is finally back...

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    There has only ever been a few runs that have elevated Hulk to A-list status. Before Ewing came along Hulk was B minus to C-list. Ewing elevated Hulk to a level he hasn't seen since the heyday of Peter David or Greg Pak's first stint.

But, it seems Marvel wants to keep the momentum going by handing it to Cates who, let's face it, has worked wonders on Venom. So much so he opened up a whole new mythos and propelled the book to being one of the best titles Marvel was publishing. If you had told me three years ago Venom and Hulk would be the stand outs at Marvel, I might have laughed and patted you on the back.
    What the -? Hulk is one of the few Marvel characters to have multiple outside media appearances before the MCU. He’s been one of the most popular characters going back decades. The Bill Bixby TV show? The animated cartoon? Multiple (admittedly bad) movies? The Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction video game? Hell he and Wolverine were the only ones to get animated movie adaptions of comics back when Marvel made their brief attempt to copy DC’s animated department. Hulk along with Spider-Man and Wolverine was the true “Marvel Trinity” back in the day.

Hulk was absolutely A-List before Ewing, Ewing just restored his brand. A C-Lister would be someone like Iron Fist or Wasp, and it’s laughable to say Hulk was that low.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Honestly I hope they retain some of what Immortal Hulk, I actually like Hulk/Banner working as a system and moving forward as opposed to the same old Hulk hates Banner status quo. I am kind of biased admittedly because I feel like Ewing is up there with Pak and David on taking continuity and history and building on it, making something interesting while expanding on the mythology fresh and keeps me coming back for every issue, I hope whatever Cates does, is fresh and build something new instead of completely going back to Status Quo.

Especially seeing Joe Fixit and Devil Hulk being used in interesting ways and delving into new facets of Bruce’s mind, even Savage Hulk being used in a new interesting way I haven’t seen in a while, I’m kind of weary of more of the same tbh.