Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Invincible is on track to perform similar

It taken them way to long to realize the effect of a running animated series

Running animated series especially ones that have some semblance of fidelity to the source material can do this. See Invincible and how TPB sales for the series skyrocketed after season 1. This is the same for anime and not just Invincible, if a season ends on a cliffhanger, you could run to the books to quench that thirst.

Live action CBMs and comic based cartoons in general don't have the same effect. I remember how Young Justice season 1 and even 2 were popular. Imagine if there was a comic they were borrowing plotlines from, it would have sold swiftly. But there's no synergy between them.

Like I was thinking about a Wonder Woman animated show and how I'd just adapt the best Wonder Woman runs with minimal changes then compile them as one. That way, when fans ask what's next after a season, you could point them in the right direction.

It is not hard for DC themselves to know the best Superman or Batman or Flash or etc runs and adapt those in a single series with some minor tweeking while maintaining canon. This would create much needed synergy and promote these best runs even more.

I believe it, kids love manga way more than comic books
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I always found it weird that DC's (and Marvel's I guess) animated shows would just combine stuff from like 50 different sources and then put their own spin on it. Basically made it impossible to recommend anything specific to someone who watched the show and wants more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I always found it weird that DC's (and Marvel's I guess) animated shows would just combine stuff from like 50 different sources and then put their own spin on it. Basically made it impossible to recommend anything specific to someone who watched the show and wants more of it.
    Yeah, but that usually made the shows amazing and awesome on their own.
    Do we really want a series that just straight up adapts a comic book run?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Long form story telling gets you invested in characters. Yes there is a reason why Invincible works, It is same reason MHA and Demon Slayer works. We are invested in the growth of the character. American comics are too interested in the mini arcs, but people are interested in the overall central story arc as well. A good cohesive run works better than pulling random good stories from all over the place.

But anyways yes WE would be interested a show that just adapts runs it would be harder with some books but current stuff like Hickman X-men run, James Tyion or Scott Snyder Batman run , Immortal Hulk or any run with cohesive overall arc would be great. Heck DC new 52 movies were good enough if they came out when books where still on the market, DC might have been surprised at the numbers it could have done.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 06-03-2021 at 04:27 AM.

Probably true. The ideology behind American comics and Manga are different. As long as movies like Aquaman and Avengers continue to make billions though, along with merchandise.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-03-2021 at 05:37 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Congrats to Demon Slayer, its a pretty cool comic
    Agree, the only issues I had with Demon Slayer were that the final boss sucked and the cringe thunder swordsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yes, I would love to get something like Morrison's entire Batman run adapted with minor alterations.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yes, I would love to get something like Morrison's entire Batman run adapted with minor alterations.
    That would be great.

One thing that i didn't see being pointed out is that this massive number of sales that Demons Slayer had is from the Japan market alone and has nothing to do with the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Invincible is on track to perform similar

It taken them way to long to realize the effect of a running animated series
    Similar? I doubt it.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

It was a perfect storm and combination of situation that can't be recreated again.
    Like the first star wars movie and avatar. Both were perfect storms when released.

Good for Demon Slayer but I'm not sure how relevant this is to DC...?
    DC is a american comic company. Story is about american comic companies. Tell you the truth i didn't know were to put the topic. Thought about the marvel forum or manga topic also. It's a story about all american comics and a manga so where do i post it? Had no clue.

This is probably somehow related to DC going out of business because Demon Slayer sold more copies than entire DC universe.
    Nah. Don't buy dc going out of business anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitagon View Post
    Running animated series especially ones that have some semblance of fidelity to the source material can do this. See Invincible and how TPB sales for the series skyrocketed after season 1. This is the same for anime and not just Invincible, if a season ends on a cliffhanger, you could run to the books to quench that thirst.

Live action CBMs and comic based cartoons in general don't have the same effect. I remember how Young Justice season 1 and even 2 were popular. Imagine if there was a comic they were borrowing plotlines from, it would have sold swiftly. But there's no synergy between them.

Like I was thinking about a Wonder Woman animated show and how I'd just adapt the best Wonder Woman runs with minimal changes then compile them as one. That way, when fans ask what's next after a season, you could point them in the right direction.

It is not hard for DC themselves to know the best Superman or Batman or Flash or etc runs and adapt those in a single series with some minor tweeking while maintaining canon. This would create much needed synergy and promote these best runs even more.
    I think DC could try to make an animated series with this synergy approach for once. But I still only read few comic so far so I don't know if there are a long overaching story that similar to anime in general or Invicible story. Perhaps they can try it on the Flash, Lantern or Wonder Woman Animated Series

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I would LOVE some DC/Marvel animated shows that closely follow story arcs and character beats in the comics. Invincible changed some things up of course but it was highly successful like others pointed out. They should try doing this instead of loosely adapting.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    That would be great.

One thing that i didn't see being pointed out is that this massive number of sales that Demons Slayer had is from the Japan market alone and has nothing to do with the US.

Similar? I doubt it.
    Give it time

Invincible Has Sold Over 100,000 Graphic Novels in 2021 Already

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/invi...c-novels-2021/

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I believe it, kids love manga way more than comic books
    A big part of that is because a lot of manga is made for kids/all ages. Whereas comic books in general (and DC higher ups even boasted) that "comics aren't for kids but a very specific demographic". Which, while DC isn't going belly-up, loses out on a much wider audience because of it.

Yes, not all DC comics strictly adhere to this line of thinking, with minis featuring crossovers between Batman and Scooby-Doo for example, but much of the mainline series do.