Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    One person is pretending to be human
    and the other person is struggling to be human

Clark doesn't need to eat, breathe, or even sleep
    Bruce doesn't want to need to do any of those things

Its not a shock that superman is quite literally playing pretend all the time and Bruce is absolutely struggling not to give up being human and not turn himself into a robot or something
    Superman is a neurotic weirdo who is just really good at pretending to be an extrovert, but can't let his walls down enough to trust the people he hangs out with every day in both identities with his secrets. He builds robot duplicates of himself and his friends for fun. He complains about being lonely but then dumps Kara into an orphanage when she shows up and takes forever to come clean to Lois. He says he stands for Truth and Justice, but hides behind a fake identity. He can be pretty hypocritical when it comes to the "no kill" rule too. All of these are pretty human flaws, it doesn't matter if he isn't literally human. Looking only at his powers is always a shallow reading of the character. Someone on an earlier page said that Bruce had some fetishes he's not eager to advertise, but I think that holds true for Clark too. He's the one who fucked a mermaid.

Bruce lost the battle of turning into an inhuman robot a long time ago, sadly. Clark has lost a lot of his own flaws. So the issue with the two of them these days is not that they are inhuman, they are both just way more boring than they should be. Ironically in an attempt to make them both more "relateable/flawed" and having the exact opposite result.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    That's true though. Jesus Christ himself said "it is harder for a rich man to enter Heaven than it is for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle."
    Thomas Wayne isn't a real person, so making him corrupt or evil just because real rich people suck is always obnoxious. The DC universe is a place where flying aliens that shoot laser beams from their eyes are everywhere and the Greek Gods are 100% real. It's not much of a stretch to think that one rich family is good in such a fantastical setting, especially as Gotham is still full to the brim of other rich folks who are absolutely awful.

Then yes. If he can do all that then he should be able to open a few factories and such to create some job opportunities.
    He does do that. It's just really boring and not something people want to read about, so it's relegated to off panel.

Ha! I knew someone would try and pull that. Sure he makes the odd token effort here and there, but with his unlimited money he should have cleaned up Gotham years ago. You want proof?
    I'm doubtful the Youtube video is offering much proof, because the real reason he can't fix Gotham with his money exists outside of the comics, not inside of it: status quo is God, and people pay money to read Batman adventures against super villains, not social issues. And the iconic nature of the character and his setting at this point means Gotham is popularly rendered as gross and corrupt with no end in sight.

It's out of the fictional character's hands, so it's always pointless to blame him for "why doesn't he use his money a different way?" DC literally will not allow him to.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm doubtful the Youtube video is offering much proof, because the real reason he can't fix Gotham with his money exists outside of the comics, not inside of it: status quo is God, and people pay money to read Batman adventures against super villains, not social issues. And the iconic nature of the character and his setting at this point means Gotham is popularly rendered as gross and corrupt with no end in sight.

It's out of the fictional character's hands, so it's always pointless to blame him for "why doesn't he use his money a different way?" DC literally will not allow him to.
    Yeah, it helps to know that these characters are all make believe and follow the script they are given. Sometimes I wonder what the percentage that know this, though...
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Maybe not, but it would make it much harder for them to get the necessary manpower to carry out their schemes. Think how desperate anyone would have to be to even consider working for the likes of Joker or Mad Hatter. Full employment would mean there'd be very few people that desperate.
    I agree. But I think that it would take a while to make that project successful, years and decades, since organized crime in Gotham predates Bruce and after years of operating, these villains have created localized institutions of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's playing pretend just being yourself? How does Clark pretend to act the way he does and Bruce "struggle not to give up being human" when he does everything he can to avoid his human qualities?

It sounds like you're so hung up on where someone was born that you're forgetting everything else any them. Moreover, he does need to breathe, albeit he can hold his breath a long time. Eating and sleeping I'll grant you dependant on the writer, but it's not consistent.
    No he doesn't need to breathe
    He wouldn't be able to fly in space and talk or do anything that comic book logic says he's done while in space with air in his body
    Ditto on not needing to eat or sleep
    The solar radiation from the yellow sun is all he needs to function

Imo these factors alone make everything Clark does in his day to day life a game of pretend on some level. Its the same thing with Bruce. If he was actually doing what he wanted with no reservations or conflicts he'd be Batman 24/7 all the time

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, it helps to know that these characters are all make believe and follow the script they are given. Sometimes I wonder what the percentage that know this, though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I agree. But I think that it would take a while to make that project successful, years and decades, since organized crime in Gotham predates Bruce and after years of operating, these villains have created localized institutions of power.
    Also doesn't help that the majority of the crime he's fighting is super crime that does not have a real world equivalent.

We do not have freeze rays, Joker fish, carnivorous plant monsters, shape shifting mud men and rocket launching penguins in real life. There is no amount of money he could have that would solve that kind of crazy. Because they are also clearly not lacking for money either, considering they build all these death traps while plotting in their luxurious, extravagant themed lairs.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Also doesn't help that the majority of the crime he's fighting is super crime that does not have a real world equivalent.

We do not have freeze rays, Joker fish, carnivorous plant monsters, shape shifting mud men and rocket launching penguins in real life. There is no amount of money he could have that would solve that kind of crazy. Because they are also clearly not lacking for money either, considering they build all these death traps while plotting in their luxurious, extravagant themed lairs.
    There has to be some allowances for some things or else their world wouldn't resemble ours anymore. A universe of super-powered beings would change the boundaries and institutions on Earth in reality. Also, would there be any violent crime (outside of supervillains) in Metropolis and its surrounding area with a Superman and others patrolling it? Of course not. Yet we still have it because it wouldn't be as relatable (ah, that word again ).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?