Default What is your favorite type of RPG? Turn based, Tactical, or Action?

I love RPG's. They are the most enjoyable video games to play. And a lot of people love them. But to all the RPG fans which type of game do you enjoy more?

I enjoy all three but on a different level.

When it comes to turn based Final Fantasy 3 (SNES) was my first exposure then Breath of Fire then my favorite Mario RPG.

Then I moved to tactical games with Fire Emblem. But my favorite right now is Warhammer Quest on the The Switch. I know it is pretty damn repetitive but I have drained hours and hours into that game. I enjoyed these much more because they gave more freedom and was fun to plan strategy with the different characters.

I have recently been trying my hand at Action Rpgs, Diablo 3, Skyrim, BotW, and Titan Quest. I am loving these. Running around a large map interacting with hit. Chopping down hordes and hordes of bad guys and monsters. I cant get over just how vast Skyrim and BotW are! I have Witcher 3 but havnt started it yet.

I would say out of all of these I enjoy exploring the open world of Skyrim and BotW but for over all game play and fun I enjoy the Tactical games a lot more. I can play for hours and hours with out getting over whelmed.

So which type of RPG do you enjoy the most and why?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

My favorite type of RPGs, using examples, are Baldur’s Gate and Shining Force. I do like games like Skyrim but I prefer the aforementioned games.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Turn based > Action > Tactical in that order. Tactical is my least favorite as these games tend to overwhelm you with options. I have enough going on with my positioning having a greater role than a standard RPG.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

action easy choice for me, lot of fun with diablo, marvel heroes, etc. I like the more fluid combat, and the more exploration/story the better

Pretty hyped for the upcoming releases like Corepunk, the western version of Lost Ark and The Ascent

I like the older Star Wars D20 system.

I like the latest DnD system.

I really, really like fate core (Atomic Robo FTW).

Stuffed Fables and Mice & Mystics have been my favorite turned based systems. Stuffed Fables dice bag pool mechanic is my favorite new dice play I have seen in years.

On computers ...

RuneSword 2
    Final Fantasy 3, 4, 5
    Neverwinter Nights
    Diablo II & III
    Mass Effect trilogy
    Dragon Age Origins & Inquisition
    Tales of Vesperia
    Dragon Quest 8 and 11
    Knights of the Old Republic
    X-COM
    Freedom Fighters
    City of Villains/Heroes

Does Warcraft I - III count?
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-06-2021 at 04:30 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

I guess tactical? I'm not familiar enough with the games provided as examples so I'm not sure.

Assassin's Creed, particularly since Origins, is my favorite. I can spend hours figuring out how to take out a heavily guarded place without a anyone ever knowing I was there. I have only managed it twice, but it's a fun strategy.

Tried what I think is action (Avengers) and couldn't get further than the first Iron Man mission. Just boring.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I guess tactical? I'm not familiar enough with the games provided as examples so I'm not sure.
    Tactical RPGs were games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Orge, Disgaea, XCOM

The only turn based games I've enjoyed are Pokemon. So, take that how you will.

But I've enjoyed action RPGs far more. Skyrim, Fallout 4 and New Vegas (3 I have on console, but I have no luck with it on PC), Mass Effect series (I even enjoyed Andromeda), and the Dragon Age series.

And then there's Dragon Ball Xenoverse and Xenoverse 2, which are action-role playing games. With the second one being my favorite.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Usually I prefer Action RPGs and mixed action/turn-based systems like the Tales series, though if the turn based system is cool enough they can close the gap a lot (Persona 5's and Trails of Cold Steel's systems, for example).

That said, stuff like the Trails series are basically a mix between the standard 1-party turn based system and a grid/area-based tactical system, and Grandia adds in a tiny dollop of real-time gameplay due to its Active Time/Cancellation features, and thus far Grandia 2 is still my overall favorite battle system in general.

I do enjoy turn based systems more when there are mechanics presented to make the experience more interactive. The addition system in Legend of Dragoon, the judgment ring from Shadow Hearts and the timed buttons presses to make attacks more effective in the Mario RPGs.

Turn-based, then Tactical, then Action. I love all three though.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Probably turn-based since there were a lot on SNES and GBA when I grew up.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I have to go with Action. I used to love turn based, but the classic turn based style just seems so slow to me now I get bored. I have never been a big tactics fan.

Only one I don't care much for is tactical. Just not my thing.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El