Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

9.4 out of 10??? Dude is way too generous.

Even if you’re being kind and overlooking most of its faults, this book was another filler issue and a 7 at best (and even that would be a bit high for me). When I think of something like a 9.4, I think of classics like ‘Unscheduled Stop’ or ‘Doomed Affairs’, etc. If you give the super high grades to filler like this, what do you grade those special classic and semi-classic issues?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    An LMD that can impregnate a woman?
    Until the issue today, I theorized the body in Berlin might have been a LMD to allow Ned to vanish. Now we know different.

Good old Europe, the answer to everything Goblin related!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    9.4 out of 10??? Dude is way too generous.

Even if you’re being kind and overlooking most of its faults, this book was another filler issue and a 7 at best (and even that would be a bit high for me). When I think of something like a 9.4, I think of classics like ‘Unscheduled Stop’ or ‘Doomed Affairs’, etc. If you give the super high grades to filler like this, what do you grade those special classic and semi-classic issues?
    Yeah, this issue really only exists to info dump how the heck Ned supposedly survived. Other than that, there was very minimal progression.

But hey, Slyde is back. When was the last time he was used? Web, wasn't it? Spencer with another obscure continuity callback.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    An LMD that can impregnate a woman?
    Wouldn't be the craziest thing to happen in the story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I was one of those who said “At least it isn’t Slott” and for that reason gave Spencer a chance ( especially because of Superior Foes). Besides the points I have made before ( “Damsel In Distress” etc) there is another problem. Spencer’s run is absolutely humorless. Where are the Spider-Man quips? That was always something that I could look forward to ( especially when dealing with those like Fisk, Doom and Otto who are arrogant douche bags). I am not expecting Deadpool but can we have some fat comments about Fisk, or is Spencer so Politically Correct that he is afraid he will offend some overweight person in Nebraska?
    Any writer would get into trouble if they made fat jokes. You'd have someone out there complaining about it and saying how discriminating Marvel has become. So I don't blame him for steering clear. The days of those jokes are over, sadly. No more Wolverine calling Gateway a "ol' abo" either.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 06-09-2021 at 10:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Any writer would get into trouble if they made fat jokes. You'd have someone out there complaining about it and saying how discriminating Marvel has become. So I don't blame him for steering clear. The days of those jokes are over, sadly. No more Wolverine calling Gateway a "ol' abo" either.
    The Kingpin ‘fat’ jokes used to be hilarious. Woke culture has ruined everything.

The Kingpin ‘fat’ jokes used to be hilarious. Woke culture has ruined everything.
    I know, right? Having Spider-man belittle people's physical appearance is really awesome, is very definitely heroic, and in no way can have a negative impact on young readers who may be struggling with their weight.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-10-2021 at 02:33 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I know, right? Having Spider-man belittle people's physical appearance is really awesome, is very definitely heroic, and in no way can have a negative impact on young readers who may be struggling with their weight.
    The point of those jokes is to enrage the opponent so that they lose their cool and make mistakes.
    I do agree fat jokes won't be used because they may have a negative impact on some readers.
    They doesn't mean Spidey should stop quipping just say jokes that won't have much of negactive impact on readers.

Astonishing Member

Maybe I just don’t think “young readers” (tm) are as fragile as you do? Pretty sure they have bigger things on their mind than Spidey being a meanie to the 300 pound crime boss in the white suit. Now every writer has to step on egg shells making sure they don’t offend this group or that group… it only seems it’s the mobs on Twitter that actually care about this silly nonsense.

Astonishing Member

They were funny, I concur.

Any quip now needs to be rethought because people absolutely jump on it now. Kids really don't give a toss, but the woke brigade do. They have eyes and ears everywhere.

'damn those woke people I want my fat shaming jokes in my Spider-man comics!' really says more about the people saying it than it does about the authors for not writing them.

As for fragility, you probably aren't someone who had console someone who got absolutely hammered with fat jokes as a kid. There's really no reason to do it, nor any reason to let folks think it's okay to be done. There are better, funnier jokes that won't apply just as well to real people. I mean, seriously, if you can't think of a way to insult the frigging Kingpin that doesn't really on the fact that he's big, I honestly don't know what to say to that.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-10-2021 at 04:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

'I mean, seriously, if you can't think of a way to insult the frigging Kingpin that doesn't really on the fact that he's big, I honestly don't know what to say to that.
    Challenge accepted. Come up with 10 funny quips about Kingpin that don’t reference his weight (maybe we should also take him being rich off the table… we wouldn’t want to hurt rich people’s feelings either)

And… go.

Fantastic Member

The "Ned is actually Ned and not a Clone Conspiracy clone" angle got me thinking:

Is anyone keeping track of which classic DEAD characters came back in the "Clone Conspiracy" ... and are still 'alive'?
    There must be a list somewhere.
    "Face Front... Nuff Said?"

Mighty Member

Challenge accepted. Come up with 10 funny quips about Kingpin that don’t reference his weight (maybe we should also take him being rich off the table… we wouldn’t want to hurt rich people’s feelings either)

And… go.
    Was your head the inspiration for Tom Hanks' companion in Castaway?

With how often you gain and lose power, have you thought about changing your supervillain name to ERCOT?
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Fantastic Member

For people complaining about overt sensitivity this is a completely fruitless topic, since Parker can only engage with Kingpin via proxy anyway since CZ gets the first call on him in DD, if you're caught up on ASM you should know that since we just had the big Kingpin arc with no Kingpin/Spidey direct interactions, I can only assume this topic is brought up because of Slott's tweet.

I dont know how many times this needs to be said but comedy is ever evolving and always evolving and the do's and don'ts will always change, especially in a risk aversive all ages book like ASM. Punching down jokes are generally not something that you'll really find much of anywhere, especially in comics. The sooner you get that the quicker youd get out of the comicsgate pipeline, because that's the end result of harboring insistent opinions like this.

Plus, if none of that reaches you, it's been done. It's tiresome af, you can read the old comics if those are your digs, that was the time and place for them.