Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default What's the best graphic novels for stuff like star wars, x-men, fantastic four

WHAT'S THE BEST GRAPHIC NOVELS FOR STUFF LIKE STAR WARS, X-MEN, FANTASTIC FOUR, DEADPOOL, & AVENGERS

Hey everyone, I'm new, I mostly now buy the Transformers ongoing off iTunes since I have a iPad Pro 12.9 Inch, but I also love physical books, like then graphic novels or omnibuses, so does anyone have any good reads to recommend. Basically looking for good recommendations on STAR WARS, X-MEN, FANTASTIC FOUR, DEADPOOL, AVENGERS, ANT-MAN, BLACK PANTHER.

I currently have the following(not many, but a good amount that I'm proud of, let me know what you guys think):

What I own(Physically):

Star Wars A Long Time Ago Omnibus Vol 1-5(Darkhorse version, got them when they were much cheaper, and easier to find, also have them digitally so I can try to keep the books in good condition)
    Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol 1 HC
    Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol 2 HC
    Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol 3 HC
    Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol 4 HC
    X-Men: Age of Apocalypse Omnibus HC
    X-Men: Age of Apocalypse Companion Omnibus HC
    Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman Vol 1 TPB
    Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman Vol 2 TPB
    Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman Vol 3 TPB
    Astonishing Ant-Man Complete Collection TPB
    All 11 Deadpool World's Greatest Volumes TPB
    All 5 Black Panther(2016-2018) Volumes TPB by Ta-Nehisi Coates
    All 4 Black Panther by Christopher Priest Complete Collection Volumes TPB
    Deadpool vs Old Man Logan TPB
    Deadpool vs Wolverine TPB
    Deadpool vs Thanos TPB
    Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe TPB
    Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe again TPB
    Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars TPB
    Deadpool vs Hawkeye TPB
    Deadpool vs Gambit TPB
    Deadpool & The Mercs For Money: Merc Madness TPB
    Deadpool & Cable: Split Second TPB
    Deadpool Kills Deadpool TPB
    Deadpool vs The Punisher TPB
    Deadpool vs X-Force TPB
    Return of the Living Deadpool TPB
    Deadpool Art of War TPB
    Deadpool vs Carnage TPB
    Deadpool Back in Black TPB
    Deadpool Too Soon? TPB
    Deadpool Killistrated TPB
    Deadpool Dracula's Gauntlet TPB
    Infinity War TPB
    Infinity War Aftermath TPB
    Infinity Gauntlet TPB
    Infinity Gauntlet Aftermath TPB
    X-Men by Chris Claremont & Jim Lee Vol 1 Omnibus HC (Coming Friday)
    X-Men by Chris Claremont & Jim Lee Vol 2 Omnibus HC (Coming Friday)
    X-Men X-Tinction TPB (Coming around June 21)
    X-Men The Mutant Massacre Omnibus HC (Preorder comes out November 30th)
    Avengers vs X-Men TPB
    Avengers vs X-Men: Consequences TPB
    Avengers vs X-Men: Versus TPB
    Avengers vs X-Men: It's Coming TPB
    Avengers vs X-Men HC (Includes AVX 0-12, AVX Vs 1-6, & A-Babies vs X-Babies 1)
    The New Mutants Vol 1 Omnibus HC
    The New Mutants Vol 2 Omnibus HC (Preorder comes out November 30th)
    X-Men: The Messiah Complex TPB
    Secret Wars TPB
    House of M TPB
    House of X/Powers of X HC
    Astonishing X-Men Omnibus HC

Yeah I went overboard on Deadpool after I saw Deadpool 1 & 2, I love Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, can't wait for him to come to the MCU

I also have X-Men Days of Future Past TPB & X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga, got them before I got the Omnibuses, so they're in the HC omnibuses.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, have a birthday coming up(37th), need ideas to let loved ones know.
    Last edited by AB81Rules; 06-14-2021 at 05:21 PM.

Just a little bit of my personal favourites:
    1) Deadpool: all volumes by Daniel Way is must-read. Very original and funny.
    2) If you enjoyed Infinity Gauntlet and War, I highly recommend picking up MARVEL The End, Infinity Abyss and Infinity Quest if it wasn't included in your Gauntlet's book. Starlin is GOAT.
    3) X-Men: Messiah Complex, Second Coming, Uncanny X-Men by Fraction, Astonishing X-Men by Whedon, House of X/Powers of X.
    4) Fantastic Four: try Ultimate Fantastic Four, few stories are pretty decent. Also: FF by Mark Waid is the best hands down (for me). Also The Thing mini-series and Spider-Man/Human Torch mini (both done by Dan Slott) are very heart-warming and written much better than current ongoing.
    5) Avengers: New Avengers by Bendis were pretty good ngl (the first volume) + Dark Avengers, New Avengers by Hickman (this is a masterpiece, you can read it on it's own or you can read it with Avengers by Hickman followed by Time Runs Out and Secret Wars).
    Last edited by Dinosaur Hulk; 06-04-2021 at 03:02 PM.

Fantastic four i liked the byne trades. X-men god loves man kills is great.

Avengers under siege and avengers forever are great.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'd add Grant Morrison's Fantastic Four 1234 with the beautiful art by Jae Lee to that list

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    2) If you enjoyed Infinity Gauntlet and War, I highly recommend picking up MARVEL The End, Infinity Abyss and Infinity Quest if it wasn't included in your Gauntlet's book. Starlin is GOAT.
    3) X-Men: Messiah Complex, Second Coming, Uncanny X-Men by Fraction, Astonishing X-Men by Whedon, House of X/Powers of X.
    4) Fantastic Four: try Ultimate Fantastic Four, few stories are pretty decent. Also: FF by Mark Waid is the best hands down (for me). Also The Thing mini-series and Spider-Man/Human Torch mini (both done by Dan Slott) are very heart-warming and written much better than current ongoing.
    5) Avengers: New Avengers by Bendis were pretty good ngl (the first volume) + Dark Avengers, New Avengers by Hickman (this is a masterpiece, you can read it on it's own or you can read it with Avengers by Hickman followed by Time Runs Out and Secret Wars).
    Thank you for the reply, and suggestions.

I'll check out the Deadpool by Daniel Way, would you say that's the best Deadpool comic series?

I just bought the X-Men Age of Apocalypse Omnibus off eBay for $97 and change.

I actually have a bunch of digital stuff from the Marvel app, when they had their thanksgiving and christmas sales, I ended up buying all of the(at the time) X-Men & Uncanny X-Men Masterworks, also the Star Wars omnibuses, but I have A long time ago on the DarkHorse app. I have a 5 volume Avengers, have to see which it is.

All-New Member

Ok it was the Uncanny Avengers during the Marvel NOW time, Vol 1 is dubbed The Red Shadow, not sure the time period that it was released, I got the code cheap off eBay.

I also have the Guardians of the Galaxy from 2013-2015, all issues.

Also, I forgot to ask, Spider-Man too, love him, also Miles Morales, I love the PS4 game(Don't have a PS5).

Can't say this is the best Deadpool comic book because I never read Joe Kelly's run and Deadpool/Cable. But I really enjoyed this one.

About Spider-Man: Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis (it follows up with Ultimate Comics Spider-Man and Miles Morales Spider-Man), Amazing Spider-Man by Straczynski (just stop somewhere around Civil War or Back in Black, DON'T read OMD and Sins Past), Peter Parker Spider-Man + Spectacular, both by Paul Jenkins, many issues from Spider-Man's Tangled Web, Spider-Man Blue, Spider-Man Life Story, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

- Marvel Knights: Inhumans by Paul Jenkins/Jae Lee
    - Inhumans: By Right of Birth

All-New Member

Can't say this is the best Deadpool comic book because I never read Joe Kelly's run and Deadpool/Cable. But I really enjoyed this one.

About Spider-Man: Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis (it follows up with Ultimate Comics Spider-Man and Miles Morales Spider-Man), Amazing Spider-Man by Straczynski (just stop somewhere around Civil War or Back in Black, DON'T read OMD and Sins Past), Peter Parker Spider-Man + Spectacular, both by Paul Jenkins, many issues from Spider-Man's Tangled Web, Spider-Man Blue, Spider-Man Life Story, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man.
    Thanks, I have to check Amazon, eBay, and my local hobby/comic shops that sell comics and games like MAGIC The Gathering, 1 like 5 minutes away, another like 20 mins away, I may call them to see if they have anything that I'll end up wanting in stock.

Yeah just read reviews or look up for previews online and see what you can like

All-New Member

Yeah just read reviews or look up for previews online and see what you can like
    I may end up going over the two comic places at the beginning of July to see what they have.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by AB81Rules View Post
    I may end up going over the two comic places at the beginning of July to see what they have.
    I checked one of the stores online, I'm not sure if those are on there.

I did buy the X-Men: Age of Apocalypse Omnibus off eBay for less than $100, and am looking to buy the X-Men: Age of Apocalypse Companion Omnibus, waiting for someone on eBay to answer about the condition, he says it's New (Other), so I don't know if it means like shrink wrap is either ripped or gone, and the book in new, just not sealed, he doesn't have photos, that's the one thing that I hate, is when someone on eBay is selling someone, they don't put either photos, or anything describing it, like how do you expect to get your item sold, whether it's a comic book, a regular book, sports cards, or Pokemon, MAGIC The Gathering, stuff like that. Just a pet peeve so to speak. Anyway, I appreciate the recommendations, I'm gonna look them up on Amazon, and see the covers so I can see if the one shop with an online store has them, so I can just order and pick up curbside.

All-New Member

Just bought the X-Men: Age of Apocalypse Companion Omnibus off eBay.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    - Marvel Knights: Inhumans by Paul Jenkins/Jae Lee
    - Inhumans: By Right of Birth
    I'm not that familiar with The Inhumans, I know they had a show, but wonder if they'll be introduced into the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'd add Grant Morrison's Fantastic Four 1234 with the beautiful art by Jae Lee to that list

\

Beautiful, will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Fantastic four i liked the byne trades. X-men god loves man kills is great.

Avengers under siege and avengers forever are great.
    I'll look up the Byne FF comics, the X-Men, and Avengers Under Siege & Forever(Are they connected, that would also be something I wouldn't mind)

I don't think my Infinity War & Infinity Gauntlet TPB have them, I haven't even read it yet, I bought Infinity War first, then looked inside, and saw that Infinity Gauntlet was before the Infinity War, at least I think that's how the list is supposed to be.

I'll also check FF by Mark Waid.

Are the House of X/House of M from this time period, or were they back during the Uncanny X-Men run, or a different timeline?

for star wars, this may lie outside of Marvel publishing, but i can recall seeing hardcover GN adaptations of A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi , with all new art,
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 06-05-2021 at 12:22 PM.