Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

So now there's a 'Complex' about denying the first 'Complex' ?
    What madness!!
    GrindrStone(D)

Amazing Member

I was so angry during this period and angry about the Maximoffs. I thought it was stupid that they limited their own cartoons and games by excluding their own most iconic characters. I never stopped to think about one thing: how insane was that original deal they signed in the 90s? “You will have access to every character from this specific origin indefinitely.” There’s no way they could have known that Disney would buy them and they’d have endless cash to burn making their own media but still! That seems like horrible business.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowbox View Post
    I was so angry during this period and angry about the Maximoffs. I thought it was stupid that they limited their own cartoons and games by excluding their own most iconic characters. I never stopped to think about one thing: how insane was that original deal they signed in the 90s? “You will have access to every character from this specific origin indefinitely.” There’s no way they could have known that Disney would buy them and they’d have endless cash to burn making their own media but still! That seems like horrible business.
    IIRC, Marvel was over a barrel when they sold off the rights to the X-Men, Hulk, Namor, etc. The company was nearing bankruptcy and wasn't in a position to play hardball with regard to movie rights. And, really, the Fox deal worked out quite well for them until the Disney purchase put them in competition with their own IP.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Yes, that it was never real. Destroying everything Marvel built for the X-Men to have a grandiose era of inhumans was BS. Disney was promoting the Avengers because they were building something. So tying the rise of the Avengers at the false detriment of X-Men and blaming it on the inhumans is scapegoating and BS. They downplayed the X-Men by not making some merchandise and by replacing them with Black Panther and Luke Cage on a t-shirt. They canceled some things. The "complex" is that they were going to make a perfect switch and everything that had an "X-Men" logo was now going to put labeled "Inhumans." A couple of funko pops and being a side story on a TV show is nothing considering how much goes into marketing.

The perfect example is Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. They made them humans and tied them down to the Avengers franchise more than ever, but people blame it on inhumans. If you go to a store now, play a video game, or whatever, you see X-Men EVERYWHERE. This NEVER happened with the inhumans, but people think it did in their minds.

And being "hated and feared" isn't what sells X-Men. Wolverine and Deadpool sell X-Men. The "hated and feared" stuff is something that most people ignore, including comic book readers, cuz it's become a sports team now. You act like Marvel treated the X-Men like the Fantastic Four. That was bad. The X-Men had a movie a year, 2 tv shows and Deadpool merchandise everywhere.
    A negationist then I see. Thanks for the clarification

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    A negationist then I see. Thanks for the clarification
    You've been gaslighted by too many click bait articles to the point that you irrationally had to blame something for X-Men Apocalypse, Legion and The Gifted because according to your logic they stopped selling X-Men t-shirts at Target and all those Deadpool and X-Men movies and TV shows never existed.

You've been gaslighted by too many click bait articles to the point that you irrationally had to blame something for X-Men Apocalypse, Legion and The Gifted because according to your logic they stopped selling X-Men t-shirts at Target and all those Deadpool and X-Men movies and TV shows never existed.
    I mentioned a couple of pages back that I've seen Disney's styleguides from a few years ago and seen first-hand how they were telling their own Sales people not to sell X-Men licences, down to a character by character replacement sheet with the Avengers and Guardians equivalents. So I don't really need to read any articles to convince me. The Inhumans show happened some time later after that and in parallel, it's not connected to the merchandise aspect but it's still part of Marvel's attempt to downplay the X-Men in favour of other characters they fully owned at the time.

Again, this isn't a matter of opinion, it's all been well documented and spoken about by various creators and it's also fully apparent if you have any familiarity with the licensing industry. But hey, believe what you will, I said my piece

I mentioned a couple of pages back that I've seen Disney's styleguides from a few years ago and seen first-hand how they were telling their own Sales people not to sell X-Men licences, down to a character by character replacement sheet with the Avengers and Guardians equivalents. So I don't really need to read any articles to convince me. The Inhumans show happened some time later after that and in parallel, it's not connected to the merchandise aspect but it's still part of Marvel's attempt to downplay the X-Men in favour of other characters they fully owned at the time.

Again, this isn't a matter of opinion, it's all been well documented and spoken about by various creators and it's also fully apparent if you have any familiarity with the licensing industry. But hey, believe what you will, I said my piece
    The conspiracy theory is that the inhumans were this big thing taking the place of X-Men merchandise, etc. There was practically nothing inhumans anywhere. Did Marvel push Black Panther, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Thor, etc. Yes. Did they make less X-Men merchandise, most likely because Marvel had to push Black Panther and Ant-Man instead of Kitty and Jean. This had nothing to do with the inhumans, but people acted like shelves were packed with inhumans sh*t when there was a t-shirt and funko pops (that were made of the X-Men too).

So yes, you and many people were gaslighted to believe that you had to direct your hate at something that was not getting much attention because you would've looked ridiculous blaming the Avengers, Spider-Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy, which got a lot more than the inhumans because duh.

The conspiracy theory is that the inhumans were this big thing taking the place of X-Men merchandise, etc. There was practically nothing inhumans anywhere. Did Marvel push Black Panther, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Thor, etc. Yes. Did they make less X-Men merchandise, most likely because Marvel had to push Black Panther and Ant-Man instead of Kitty and Jean. This had nothing to do with the inhumans, but people acted like shelves were packed with inhumans sh*t when there was a t-shirt and funko pops (that were made of the X-Men too).

So yes, you and many people were gaslighted to believe that you had to direct your hate at something that was not getting much attention because you would've looked ridiculous blaming the Avengers, Spider-Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy, which got a lot more than the inhumans because duh.
    I must have missed all the posts talking about the deluge of Inhumans toys etc replacing the X-Men ones then, because I don't really remember anyone ever saying anything about that. The Inhumans were always a non-entity in merchandise, there was never any push on that side and I don't believe anyone here is saying there was, but again, perhaps I've missed a few posts.

I must have missed all the posts talking about the deluge of Inhumans toys etc replacing the X-Men ones then, because I don't really remember anyone ever saying anything about that. The Inhumans were always a non-entity in merchandise, there was never any push on that side and I don't believe anyone here is saying there was, but again, perhaps I've missed a few posts.
    I'm not denying that there were less non-Deadpool X-Men products, etc., but the campaign against the inhumans because of it made no sense because they were never put in the same status as the X-Men. That was the Avengers. Because Marvel has a lot of characters and wanted to use them, contrary to DC's obsession with Batman. I think the Avengers push was good because now the X-Men can be featured in their comic book world on screen, and not an isolated property like they usually have been since the 80's-90's.