Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Inhumans vs. X-Men: Anatomy of a Failed (and Dumb) Rivalry - A mini-Documentary

I didn't know where else on this board to put this. To the mods, I apologize in advance if I missed something. But this is something I really wanted to share.

I've been working on my YouTube channel for a while now. And I've made quite a few videos about X-Men. But this is one I've been working on for quite a while now. It's my first real attempt at a mini-documentary. It covers the saga of the Inhumans/X-Men rivalry that played out in the mid-2010s. Having been on this Board during those dark times, I haven't forgotten how frustrating it was with how it played out. But he saga behind this rivalry is actually a better story than anything we saw in the comics. I decided to explore that. And I did my best to capture it all within this video. I hope my fellow X-Men fans, and even some Inhumans fans, can appreciate it.

Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member

I take it this was before Marvel decided to tie up loose ends by massacring the Inhumans for their failure?

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I take it this was before Marvel decided to tie up loose ends by massacring the Inhumans for their failure?
    Damn, that's hard reply...lol
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member

I’d think DoI was less punishment if they hadn’t just burn notice’d Iron Fist as well

Fantastic Member

I feel like hating Inhumans vs. X-Men is something that both X-Men fans and Inhumans fans can agree on.

I admit, I was more of an Inhumans fan during their big push. I had lost interest with X-Men quite some time ago, and I'd gotten into Inhumans from things like War of Kings and the Paul Jenkins mini-series. I was delighted to see the Inhumans get more time in the spotlight, and an actual on-going series instead of just a mini. But the rivalry with the X-Men was pointless and frustrating. The "Terrigen cloud kills mutants" storyline seemed to put the Inhumans writers in an impossible position. Soule and Asmus, in Uncanny and All New Inhumans, clearly wanted to tell their own stories, about different Inhuman settlements, and picking up newly formed Inhumans, and internal political struggles. The mutant Terrigen sickness was barely mentioned. But if they'd focused on the Inhumans helping mutants or destroying the cloud (something that clearly wasn't allowed to happen until IvX), then they wouldn't be telling "Inhumans" stories, they'd be telling X-Men stories. But shoving the Terrigen sickness into the background of the Inhumans books made the Inhumans look like assholes for ignoring this ongoing mass death that they caused. By all rights, IvX should have never happened. They should have had Forge make a containment box and have Storm and Crystal use the wind to push the cloud inside, then Inhumans who want to change can go stand in the box. Problem solved. There were a million easy solutions to just contain the cloud, but Marvel wanted the two groups to fight, so they had to fight.

I appreciate your comments about how the mainstreaming of Inhumans lost sight of what the Inhumans are supposed to represent. That was a common complaint from Inhumans fans, that the group had lost some of their unique weirdness that makes them interesting. I didn't mind the idea of a bunch of new Inhumans being created, and having to integrate (or not integrate) into Attilan society, but the way they went about it didn't work. I'd expect to see much more conflict between the new and old Inhumans (who are steeped in tradition). Surely a few of the new Inhumans would have some objections to the Alpha Primitives, or genetic hierarchy (generally people with "good" powers are treated much better than people with "bad" powers) of Attilan society. But that was never explored at all. I enjoyed the Inhumans push for what it gave us (again, Inhumans had never been Marvel stars like that), but it could have been so much better. And preferably not at the expense of the X-Men. I'd much rather see the two groups have nothing to do with each other. Let them each exist in their own corner of the Marvel universe and do their own thing. I really don't know why Marvel, seeing the X-Men fans' negative responses to the Inhumans push, decided that the best thing to do was to set the two groups up against each other. "Let's have the Terrigen Cloud kill mutants, and the Inhumans sit on their hands and do nothing! That'll bring fans around!"

Also, the Inhumans TV show was such a waste of potential. The whole thing was low budget and rushed. The cast could have been good if the script hadn't been terrible. By all rights, Iwan Rheon should have been a perfect Maximus if they'd just let him play it as Ramsey Bolton 2.0, but instead they managed to make the character boring. They should have just made one high-budget movie, like what the Eternals are getting now, to properly capture the sci-fi weirdness of the group, and been done with it.

Anyway, I appreciate your willingness (or attempts) to be fair in this video. I think Marvel showed how little they care for both franchises, given that they were willing to slaughter the Inhumans in the terrible Death of Inhumans, then toss them back into comics limbo because for some mysterious reason setting them up against the X-Men didn't catch on. I like both the Inhumans and the X-Men. I'd actually like to see the Inhumans come back with another ongoing series, but it would need to be focused again on their own internal struggles and maybe based on the cosmic Marvel side (like War of Kings, and Royals, which were fun reads). Leave the X-Men alone.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin King View Post
    I feel like hating Inhumans vs. X-Men is something that both X-Men fans and Inhumans fans can agree on.

I admit, I was more of an Inhumans fan during their big push. I had lost interest with X-Men quite some time ago, and I'd gotten into Inhumans from things like War of Kings and the Paul Jenkins mini-series. I was delighted to see the Inhumans get more time in the spotlight, and an actual on-going series instead of just a mini. But the rivalry with the X-Men was pointless and frustrating. The "Terrigen cloud kills mutants" storyline seemed to put the Inhumans writers in an impossible position. Soule and Asmus, in Uncanny and All New Inhumans, clearly wanted to tell their own stories, about different Inhuman settlements, and picking up newly formed Inhumans, and internal political struggles. The mutant Terrigen sickness was barely mentioned. But if they'd focused on the Inhumans helping mutants or destroying the cloud (something that clearly wasn't allowed to happen until IvX), then they wouldn't be telling "Inhumans" stories, they'd be telling X-Men stories. But shoving the Terrigen sickness into the background of the Inhumans books made the Inhumans look like assholes for ignoring this ongoing mass death that they caused. By all rights, IvX should have never happened. They should have had Forge make a containment box and have Storm and Crystal use the wind to push the cloud inside, then Inhumans who want to change can go stand in the box. Problem solved. There were a million easy solutions to just contain the cloud, but Marvel wanted the two groups to fight, so they had to fight.

I appreciate your comments about how the mainstreaming of Inhumans lost sight of what the Inhumans are supposed to represent. That was a common complaint from Inhumans fans, that the group had lost some of their unique weirdness that makes them interesting. I didn't mind the idea of a bunch of new Inhumans being created, and having to integrate (or not integrate) into Attilan society, but the way they went about it didn't work. I'd expect to see much more conflict between the new and old Inhumans (who are steeped in tradition). Surely a few of the new Inhumans would have some objections to the Alpha Primitives, or genetic hierarchy (generally people with "good" powers are treated much better than people with "bad" powers) of Attilan society. But that was never explored at all. I enjoyed the Inhumans push for what it gave us (again, Inhumans had never been Marvel stars like that), but it could have been so much better. And preferably not at the expense of the X-Men. I'd much rather see the two groups have nothing to do with each other. Let them each exist in their own corner of the Marvel universe and do their own thing. I really don't know why Marvel, seeing the X-Men fans' negative responses to the Inhumans push, decided that the best thing to do was to set the two groups up against each other. "Let's have the Terrigen Cloud kill mutants, and the Inhumans sit on their hands and do nothing! That'll bring fans around!"

Also, the Inhumans TV show was such a waste of potential. The whole thing was low budget and rushed. The cast could have been good if the script hadn't been terrible. By all rights, Iwan Rheon should have been a perfect Maximus if they'd just let him play it as Ramsey Bolton 2.0, but instead they managed to make the character boring. They should have just made one high-budget movie, like what the Eternals are getting now, to properly capture the sci-fi weirdness of the group, and been done with it.

Anyway, I appreciate your willingness (or attempts) to be fair in this video. I think Marvel showed how little they care for both franchises, given that they were willing to slaughter the Inhumans in the terrible Death of Inhumans, then toss them back into comics limbo because for some mysterious reason setting them up against the X-Men didn't catch on. I like both the Inhumans and the X-Men. I'd actually like to see the Inhumans come back with another ongoing series, but it would need to be focused again on their own internal struggles and maybe based on the cosmic Marvel side (like War of Kings, and Royals, which were fun reads). Leave the X-Men alone.
    All of this. Cosigned. Very much cosigned.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Lol, yes, after the tv show failed, marvel threw the inhumans under the biggest bus they could find.

Fantastic Member

what is the purpose of this thread only to drudge up crap from the past nobody cares even with the x-men under hickmans revival marvel is still paying the price for the all the inhuman garbage i posted before but people have no idea some of the crazy behind the scene stuff that happened regarding this .some stuff i know and ive been told by very reliable people working on eth book at the time there was even crazier **** planned that people here would never believe. Starting to worry a bit because the internal memo marvel sent to all creators banning any inhuman story or inhuman refence for 5 years besides the royal family is almost over hopefully besides the royal family we never ever see them again pollute marvel books

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

very nice video and assessment thank you for sharing.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Remember the story and circumstances surrounding it. Didn't follow either franchise in comics at the time, although I do remember the discussions whether it was a conspiracy theory or not that Marvel wanted to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans (remember being skeptical at the time but was convinced that X-Men would survive in the long run, which seems to have been the case). I've kinda come to the opinion with these long-running franchises that they're going to have bad stretches or stuff where the creative teams make decisions we don't like. That's a fact of life. If you're so mad over something like that that you're happy that another comics franchise is failing (one that means the same thing to someone else that your favorites mean to you), you need to take a chill pill.

Did get the general impression that not very many people liked the IvX story, with more sympathy to the X-Men (although I do think this forum has a stronger X-Men fan gathering). It seemed like the only Inhuman character everyone in general liked in spite of everything was Kamala Khan (and she's a character who's highly divorced from the Inhumans franchise in general, as I understand). Though it was all over with that X-Men: Red issue that had Jean Grey going to make peace with the Inhumans. Think I missed the stories where the Inhumans were killed off.

Quote Originally Posted by bishop66 View Post
    Starting to worry a bit because the internal memo marvel sent to all creators banning any inhuman story or inhuman refence for 5 years besides the royal family is almost over hopefully besides the royal family we never ever see them again pollute marvel books
    Isn't Kamala Khan still active?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I didn't know where else on this board to put this. To the mods, I apologize in advance if I missed something. But this is something I really wanted to share.

I've been working on my YouTube channel for a while now. And I've made quite a few videos about X-Men. But this is one I've been working on for quite a while now. It's my first real attempt at a mini-documentary. It covers the saga of the Inhumans/X-Men rivalry that played out in the mid-2010s. Having been on this Board during those dark times, I haven't forgotten how frustrating it was with how it played out. But he saga behind this rivalry is actually a better story than anything we saw in the comics. I decided to explore that. And I did my best to capture it all within this video. I hope my fellow X-Men fans, and even some Inhumans fans, can appreciate it.

Great job, just followed your channel keep up the good work and you absolutely have the voice for commentary if that makes sense!!

Extraordinary Member

To think you can have a 30-minute video on what went wrong with the Inhumans vs X-Men story and not even talk about the whole 'Cyclops is Hitler' shtick they had going before changing it to 'psyche! He just messed with one of the clouds that was killing people, and even then it wasn't really him.'

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Lol, yes, after the tv show failed, marvel threw the inhumans under the biggest bus they could find.
    That and the buyout of Fox, which gave them the film rights to the X-Men. Nowadays the only Inhumans Marvel gives a damn about are Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    That and the buyout of Fox, which gave them the film rights to the X-Men. Nowadays the only Inhumans Marvel gives a damn about are Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl.
    Maevel trying to tarnish the X-Men brand because they don't have to film rights had to be one of the pettiest moves in all of comic book history. It literally did nothing but alienate readers. If Disney hadn't bought the film rights back from Fox I highly doubt Hickman would be in charge of the X line right now.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Maevel trying to tarnish the X-Men brand because they don't have to film rights had to be one of the pettiest moves in all of comic book history. It literally did nothing but alienate readers. If Disney hadn't bought the film rights back from Fox I highly doubt Hickman would be in charge of the X line right now.
    True.

Also Inhumans by Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee

Still Effin rocks my socks off. When the main chick disses her friend after terrigen was Dayyuuum that sh!t was cold!
    GrindrStone(D)