Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Why not create a new character that's bi then? Why use a pre-existing one? Name recognition. Brand. It sells more. I'm fine with adding depth but it doesn't matter in the long run (see Batwoman's marriage). If it would lead to better stories why not make Bruce gay? The backlash. The uproar. Its just about sales and another gimmick and I hate that its being used as look at us we're tolerant and promote progress when its just marketing and shallow headlines. Yes, others might enjoy it nonetheless.
    Because new characters don't tend to do well?
    Your reasoning is the kind of regressive reasoning that if actually listened to would lead to less representation. And hey, if representation isn't important to you then just come out and say so rather than just ghosting it.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Because new characters don't tend to do well?
    Your reasoning is the kind of regressive reasoning that if actually listened to would lead to less representation. And hey, if representation isn't important to you then just come out and say so rather than just ghosting it.
    Well, I really wish Batwoman went... somewhere. Or Harper. Or her Brother. Or Blue Beetle. Or New Superman. DC has proven time and again they're only interested if its a gimmick. Is Batman's Grave great because Batman is gay? Is White Knight great because Batman is gay? In Tim's case its just a case of who isn't on everyone's radar but kinda is on enough people's radar. Also I made it a habit long ago to treat everyone with respect in real life. I don't need to support superhero comics to make me feel good about myself.

Well, I really wish Batwoman went... somewhere. Or Harper. Or her Brother. Or Blue Beetle. Or New Superman. DC has proven time and again they're only interested if its a gimmick. Is Batman's Grave great because Batman is gay? Is White Knight great because Batman is gay? In Tim's case its just a case of who isn't on everyone's radar but kinda is on enough people's radar. Also I made it a habit long ago to treat everyone with respect in real life. I don't need to support superhero comics to make me feel good about myself.
    The ending was kind of bad.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Batwoman did go somewhere though, that she currently doesn't have her own title isn't really a black mark against the character or concept but rather at the current management.

And the last part? I say again, that's great for you...but what about others that do like seeing themselves in their fiction? Or those who do find comfort in seeing their lifestyle represented? That you're personally not interested in that doesn't mean those aren't valid needs for other readers and if DC wanted to cater to those needs it doesn't really upset your needs...unless your needs are that these characters stay straight but that's another issue.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Batwoman did go somewhere though, that she currently doesn't have her own title isn't really a black mark against the character or concept but rather at the current management.

And the last part? I say again, that's great for you...but what about others that do like seeing themselves in their fiction? Or those who do find comfort in seeing their lifestyle represented? That you're personally not interested in that doesn't mean those aren't valid needs for other readers and if DC wanted to cater to those needs it doesn't really upset your needs...unless your needs are that these characters stay straight but that's another issue.
    Instead of retconning Tim why not pick a good writer and do teenage Catman or teenage Poison Ivy or teenage Constantine? Its a discussion forum and I'm allowed to complain if I buy something and don't like it. I'll eat my hat if the story is as good as Lemire's Barbalien/Black Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The ending was kind of bad.
    Still better than King's run or what Tomasi was doing at the time IMHO. Not a fan of Ellis as a person, though.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 06-13-2021 at 01:32 AM.