Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'd say it goes at least as far back as Hill Street Blues.
    Yes, or maybe even St. Elsewhere.

do recall with Ryan Murphy's Nip/Tuck they did have a storyline that was teased at towards the end of season 2 and was an ongoing subplot in season 3 involving a serial rapist who "carves" the faces of his victims.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    One of the things that I most miss about Busiek's Astro City was the way it was loaded with one-and-dones. True, some of my favorites were arcs, like the the resolution of Quarrel and Crackerjack's story, or either of the Steeljack sagas, but there were tons of single issue stories. If we keep it to Jack's last 20 years window, I'd cite AC 22 (3rd series), "Heroes Reward," or 43, which revealed the secret of The Gentleman (that last sent me ripping through every previous issue featuring the character to see if I could find the narrator anywhere in the background).
    If we're giving Astro City love one of my favorite stories (Astro City or otherwise) was the Samaritan Special which tells the story of how Samaritan spends one day a year having dinner with a "supervillain". They talk, and try to convince one another that their way of looking at the world/universe is the correct one. One of those issues if I see it at a Con for a buck or two I'll pick it up to give to someone else, it's a great standalone and a great story.

Attachment 110272
    "The Nearness Of You" (Astro City, Vol. 2 #½) is a personal fave:

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    "The Nearness Of You" (Astro City, Vol. 2 #½) is a personal fave:

I agree with all of the above. I was addressing one-shots within the ongoing. If I had to pick the best one-shots in KBAC's entire body of work, even within a 20-year window, my brain would melt.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Actually, I think its the LS that died we still get the occasional one shot.

I agree with all of the above. I was addressing one-shots within the ongoing. If I had to pick the best one-shots in KBAC's entire body of work, even within a 20-year window, my brain would melt.
    Oops! In that case...

If we're only discussing one-shots within the Astro City ongoing series, then my personal favorite would be...

"In the Spotlight"
    (Astro City, Vol. 2 #13)

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-15-2021 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think there are a couple of one shots in the Fantastic Four that would be worth reading if you haven't before. And I will throw in a Daredevil classis. This is just "old school" story telling.

Fantastic Four #51 - This Man...This Monster: An unnamed scientist plots to eliminate Reed Richards because he feels gets a lot of undeserved fame. This one shot by Stan Lee & Jack Kirby would frequently be brought up as one of the best single issues. But I think the next one is more powerful

Fantastic Four #273 - A Small Loss: Sue reaches a critical point in her second pregnancy and Reed must convince Doctor Octopus to help. But help arrives too late and Sue miscarries the baby

Daredevil #7 - In Mortal Combat with the Sub-Mariner: This is a sentimental favorite. I remember finding this issue at a Rexall Drugs spinner rack long after the date of its release date. I don't know how or why it was still there and bought it. DD battles Namor who tries to make his claim to have the surface world surrender their land to the Atlanteans. Daredevil goes one on one with Namor and earns his respect even though he loses.Daredevil wears his red costume for the first time. Art by Wally Wood

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-15-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think there are a couple of one shots in the Fantastic Four that would be worth reading if you haven't before. And I will throw in a Daredevil classis. This is just "old school" story telling.

Fantastic Four #51 - This Man...This Monster: An unnamed scientist plots to eliminate Reed Richards because he feels gets a lot of undeserved fame. This one shot by Stan Lee & Jack Kirby would frequently be brought up as one of the best single issues. But I think the next one is more powerful

Fantastic Four #273 - A Small Loss: Sue reaches a critical point in her second pregnancy and Reed must convince Doctor Octopus to help. But help arrives too late and Sue miscarries the baby

Daredevil #7 - In Mortal Combat with the Sub-Mariner: This is a sentimental favorite. I remember finding this issue at a Rexall Drugs spinner rack long after the date of its release date. I don't know how or why it was still there and bought it. DD battles Namor who tries to make his claim to have the surface world surrender their land to the Atlanteans. Daredevil goes one on one with Namor and earns his respect even though he loses.Daredevil wears his red costume for the first time. Art by Wally Wood

Great selections, Iron Maiden. Hopefully, you won't mind if I add one of my personal favorites...

"Roulette"
    (Daredevil #191)

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-15-2021 at 10:15 PM.