Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Not really, I'm just quoting the book. He says this while super speed slipping a Lantern ring off Hal's finger without Hal seeing or feeling a thing. "A thought based weapon against a guy who can move at 10 times the speed of thought." He does casually circle the globe while approaching trans light speeds as a form of meditation. He also catches a bullet held up to a guy's temple, and does a lot of zipping back and forth across the globe to stop crimes he hears. I recognize a certain amount of that is travel speed, but then again, so are Omniman and Utopians, going by that clip.

Also, it doesn't matter because they could wail on him in his sleep and still couldn't hurt him.
    Cool, thanks for clarifying. In my mind anyway, there is a certain leeway granted to "Superman" characters: I would more readily assume "Superman" level stuff than from some other character who only has feats for "fighting Superman." "Speed of thought" is just silly. Especially because 10x "speed of human thought" is still orders of magnitude below someone like Omni-Man. And of course "speed of thought" isn't the same depending on the individual and the action. If you ask my youngest son and I what the square root of 196 is, I'll tell it to you instantly, and he'll start by complaining, then whining, then shouting out random numbers that aren't even close, then giving up, and even forced, he'll likely never get the answer.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by angelusdelioncourt View Post
    By the way don't use the TV version if it's weaker. You could use the comics versions
    That might change things.

I have no idea, having never read the comics.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Oh, he also does the whole "read a library's worth of medical texts to figure out how to treat someone who is dying" thing. So he's probably blitzing anyway you slice it.

Oh, he also does the whole "read a library's worth of medical texts to figure out how to treat someone who is dying" thing. So he's probably blitzing anyway you slice it.
    Yeah, see that's nice and quantifiable (quantifiable as pretty damned good) and consistent with, if nothing else, the general "Superman-ness" of the character. It's also enough to blitz the others here.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    That might change things.

I have no idea, having never read the comics.
    Eh, maybe? Omni-Man has more feats in the comics, obviously, but it's not like he's ever struggled with anything in the TV show up until now, and even the show has him being fast enough to catch RR mid-blitz and to handle "a much bigger meteor" than Mark handles - off screen, but it's extremely consistent with everything else about the guy.

In any case, it's not enough to hang with any Superman who is worth his tights.

Sometimes when someone says speed of thought they usually mean how long it takes for them to think about something, not the actual speed of the neurons in the brain. For example it only takes you a second to think about Proxima Centauri but it will take light approximately 4 years to get there. Not saying that is the case in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    Sometimes when someone says speed of thought they usually mean how long it takes for them to think about something, not the actual speed of the neurons in the brain. For example it only takes you a second to think about Proxima Centauri but it will take light approximately 4 years to get there. Not saying that is the case in this instance.
    That's not the issue though. People (mostly not Rumblers, but we've all seen 'em from time to time) argue that "Superman might be fast, but so-and-so's power works at the speed of thought! FASTER!" (Storm <cough> <cough>) Ignoring that "speed of thought" is different for different beings and even for different thoughts of the same being. There is no recognized "speed of thought" and certainly not one that is all that fast for humans. We can debate neural transmission speeds, but that ignores a lot of stuff and it's deplorably slow in humans. Even in that case, someone who can read a library of text books in a short period of time has a faster "speed of thought" than I do, and not by an inconsiderable degree.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    That's not the issue though. People (mostly not Rumblers, but we've all seen 'em from time to time) argue that "Superman might be fast, but so-and-so's power works at the speed of thought! FASTER!" (Storm <cough> <cough>) Ignoring that "speed of thought" is different for different beings and even for different thoughts of the same being. There is no recognized "speed of thought" and certainly not one that is all that fast for humans. We can debate neural transmission speeds, but that ignores a lot of stuff and it's deplorably slow in humans. Even in that case, someone who can read a library of text books in a short period of time has a faster "speed of thought" than I do, and not by an inconsiderable degree.
    I get it and most of the time it's true but I have seen posters who thought of it that way.

EDIT: I'm not talking about neural transmissions at all. I'm talking the speed thought after the initial neural transmission. Not my view just noticed what some ppl thought.
    Last edited by Slade1; 06-08-2021 at 08:22 AM.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

To be honest if I had remembered the library thing I wouldn't have much mentioned the speed of thought at all to avoid opening this can of worms.

To be honest if I had remembered the library thing I wouldn't have much mentioned the speed of thought at all to avoid opening this can of worms.
    It's only a small nitpick, the library feat makes it irrelevant in any case.

Spectacular Member angelusdelioncourt's Avatar

It's fine since it adds to the discussion anyway

Astonishing Member

The speed of thought is a BS concept. In normal humans, neural transmission can be about 100 meters per second and the fastest choice decision times are about 250 milliseconds. Speedsters are of course much faster. Meaningless in a character concept.

Also unless things are a lot different in the comics Utopian seems out of place here. He's they guy who wants to keep to the code the most, and would be appaled by the other murderous members of his team.

Superman probably has the speed edge which normal the end all in these things. My only argument is Omniman has stupid level of survivability, So Superman can do something like stick his hand through his chest and Omniman has a small widow to majorly hurt Superman but more likely scenario is they all get super speed heat visioned to death.

Spectacular Member angelusdelioncourt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    Also unless things are a lot different in the comics Utopian seems out of place here. He's they guy who wants to keep to the code the most, and would be appaled by the other murderous members of his team.
    The Utopian would be fighting a Communist though. Besides, villains and heroes have worked together before to beat a stronger threat