View Poll Results: What is more important?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Casting a Brazilian Actress

4 20.00%
  • Casting a Native Actress

16 80.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    When you're an executive who doesn't really get the source material, you have:

"We have this pitch over a proof-of-concept that hasn't launched but is getting traction online over a young Latina Wonder Woman"

Or, alternatively, optionn number two:

"Ava DuVernay wants to do a show about a young black (possibly gay) woman by the guy who made Miles Morales, the character in that ultra successful Spider-Man movie that's now a video game."

What do you think they're going to greenlight, especially when being viewed as progressive is the current carrot megacorporations are chasing?
    Naomi is no Miles Morales, not by a longshot. She doesn't feel like a natural character she's too forced.

Astonishing Member

She doesn't need to be Miles who already had a successful book behind him, it's simply the other things mentioned that give her a leg up by comparison, being hand picked by a big name as well as being a Bendis creation because Miles was proven successful, it's this combo that gave Naomi the advantage. However readers may feel about Bendis, there's plenty of his stuff that's crossing over to other mediums. Yara has the Wonder name attached to her, that on its own is good but nothing much at the time, I think Future State hadn't come out yet before the dropped the show. It could still happen, just not for the next coming tv schedule.

TBF, is there any WW spin off character that didn't feel like they were 'throw in' at first? Donna Troy, Nubia, Artemis, all of whom were just dropped on the readers lap but eventually grew into fan favorites.
    Last edited by John Venus; 06-08-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Honestly I would've waited before giving Yara or Naomi a tv show. Neither character has alot of material you could actually use. And I wasn't sure I was gonna be interested in Yara till Future State. She ends up being one of the better Future State stories but I didn't know that before I read it.

Tv shows are tougher to concieve than movies so I would've just waited.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The weird thing is though, Yara Flor has a massive inherent appeal. It's Beyonce as a superhero. That's all you need. It's the exact type of flavor that CW likes.
    How is she anything like Beyonce? They're not even the same race or ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I didn't really think about the Miles Morales factor, but then again, Miles Morales was tied to one of the top 3 most popular superheroes in the world. Naomi isn't.
    If we went with this logic, no superhero outside of Batman, Superman or Spider-Man would ever get continuous use.

I remember plenty of articles and blog posts about how we didn't need a Wonder Woman movie and how it would suck if it was made. There was no shortage of excuses for why Wonder Woman should not have been adapted and the comic should have been cancelled decades ago. And this wasn't from casual movie goers or executives, this was from comic book fans. I look at these comments about Naomi and I see the exact same attitude.

I would have loved if Yara or any other Wonder Woman character got a t.v. show. It sucks that she didn't and I hope they try again. But slamming other characters and belittling the choice to adapt them does not make the Wonder Woman fanbase look good. Especially when this is a black female character and the Wonder Woman comics themselves have had their own issues with racial diversity that are only now getting somewhat addressed.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-08-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    First of all her outfit is quite clearly based on Beyonce (even the creator confirmed it). But Yara also embodies this pure version of the strong woman that owns her sexuality. Beyonce is the classic gym trainer that tells you "you can do this!" and keeps making you challenge yourself. "You're gonna rule the world". She is full of bravado. Yara has the same bravado. It's about more than just race and ethnicity.

I would have loved if Yara or any other Wonder Woman character got a t.v. show. It sucks that she didn't and I hope they try again. But slamming other characters and belittling the choice to adapt them does not make the Wonder Woman fanbase look good. Especially when this is a black female character and the Wonder Woman comics themselves have had their own issues with racial diversity that are only now getting somewhat addressed.
    You and me are on the same side dude. I didn't say anything bad about Naomi other than not finding her appealing. What I said was that the success of Miles Morales doesn't translate to someone like Naomi, because Miles was placed in front of the biggest Marvel brand there is, Spider-man. Even if Naomi and Miles are equally interesting as characters, one can't count on nearly the same success as him. If this was Riri Williams then it would be more easily compared to Miles Morales.

And I do appreciate the fact that Naomi is her own unique Intelectual property. But this isn't something that helped her get approved for a TV show.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Naomi is no Miles Morales, not by a longshot. She doesn't feel like a natural character she's too forced.
    That's certainly an opinion but that's almost certainly how they sold the character to the executives. Fills an underserved demographic, acclaimed director attached and source material by the Miles Morales guy.

If we went with this logic, no superhero outside of Batman, Superman or Spider-Man would ever get continuous use.

I remember plenty of articles and blog posts about how we didn't need a Wonder Woman movie and how it would suck if it was made. There was no shortage of excuses for why Wonder Woman should not have been adapted and the comic should have been cancelled decades ago. And this wasn't from casual movie goers or executives, this was from comic book fans. I look at these comments about Naomi and I see the exact same attitude.

Somewhat addressed? There's an Asian, Latina and African-American Wonder Woman. Since Perez there's almost always been a character of color...Philippus, Euboea, Hoppy, Rebecca, Trevor Barnes, Hestia, Etta, Maggie, Siegfried, Milan, Apollo and Artemis, the book has been inclusive.

As for Naomi I don't like her and you can't make me. Is she supposed to be Moesha with those 90's braids and beads?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Yes but Anna Diop turns orange too, she's just not orange all the time.

Attachment 110277

Attachment 110278

Plus like has been said she's an alien and this is going to sound weird and slightly hypocritical so brace yourselves, but I'm far more bothered that Conor Leslie and Gal Gadot both have brown eyes unlike the blue of their comicbook counterparts, than I am about Anna Diop as Starfire. I didn't like the choice at first either but she grew on me and I like her now.
    Gal should've had blue eyes as ww i was very shocked she didn't.