View Poll Results: What is more important?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Casting a Brazilian Actress

4 20.00%
  • Casting a Native Actress

16 80.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Actually I think you would mean race over nativity.
    If a native couple adopt a white child and raise her, she would be considered native and could then be cast as Yara.
    Native american isn't a term used for the cultural aspects of the various communities. It's about the genetic background. That's what we're talking about here when we say native, not nativity. Yara has a native south american mother. She isn't mestizo for exemple, since her father probably didn't give her specific racial features, seeing as he's a river god.
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-06-2021 at 08:13 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Didn't copy well, but here is where I got this chart.
    https://blog.prepscholar.com/race-vs...vs-nationality

TERM DEFINITION EXAMPLES
    Race Physical characteristics that define a person as being a member of a specific group Skin color, hair color and texture, eye color, facial features, physical build
    Ethnicity Cultural characteristics that define a person as being a member of a specific group Language, accent, religion, styles of dress, hairstyles, social customs, food and dietary preferences or restrictions
    Nationality The legal sense of belonging to a specific political nation state Citizenship (birthright or naturalized)
    Ok cool. So my previously held assumptions were only partially correct.

Thanks you for posting!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Didn't copy well, but here is where I got this chart.
    https://blog.prepscholar.com/race-vs...vs-nationality

TERM DEFINITION EXAMPLES
    Race Physical characteristics that define a person as being a member of a specific group Skin color, hair color and texture, eye color, facial features, physical build
    Ethnicity Cultural characteristics that define a person as being a member of a specific group Language, accent, religion, styles of dress, hairstyles, social customs, food and dietary preferences or restrictions
    Nationality The legal sense of belonging to a specific political nation state Citizenship (birthright or naturalized)
    Actually I think you would mean race over nativity.
    If a native couple adopt a white child and raise her, she would be considered native and could then be cast as Yara.
    Apologies, and thank you for the informative link in your post above.

I still do think Yara should resemble her comic incarnation as much as possible.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    No I'm not doing all that, so I'm not voting. If ethnicity were so important Gal Gadot would never have been cast as Wonder Woman. For Yara Flor they should just get a younger actor that looks as much like Eva Mendes as possible and call it a day.

Attachment 110258

Attachment 110259
    Out of curiosity, was the actress cast as Starfire in the Titans TV series miscast in your opinion? (she was in my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Out of curiosity, was the actress cast as Starfire in the Titans TV series miscast in your opinion? (she was in my opinion)
    Starfire is different because there was already so much distance between her comics and cartoon versions Anna Diop becoming another variation worked out well.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Starfire is different because there was already so much distance between her comics and cartoon versions Anna Diop becoming another variation worked out well.
    The reason I asked is because what I thought of Starfire and what Anna Diop looks like is far from what I envision.

Most of the rest of the cast they got right in my opinion. We just need more Wondergirl, which we will hopefully have next season.

Starfire in the cartoon versions still had the same skin color, though.

I’m not sure how you can miscast a fictional orange alien from another planet & I think Anna Diop is one of the better actors on the show. If anyone was miscast it was Raven.

As for Yara, I would definitely cast a Native actress, but I don’t necessarily think she needs to be Brazilian or even speak it that well. We know she was raised in the states, so like any child born in another country but raised here (heya!) her English is probably better that her Portuguese.

The reason I asked is because what I thought of Starfire and what Anna Diop looks like is far from what I envision.

Most of the rest of the cast they got right in my opinion. We just need more Wondergirl, which we will hopefully have next season.

Starfire in the cartoon versions still had the same skin color, though.
    Yes but Anna Diop turns orange too, she's just not orange all the time.

ANNA DIOP.jpg

ANNA DIOP 2.jpg

Plus like has been said she's an alien and this is going to sound weird and slightly hypocritical so brace yourselves, but I'm far more bothered that Conor Leslie and Gal Gadot both have brown eyes unlike the blue of their comicbook counterparts, than I am about Anna Diop as Starfire. I didn't like the choice at first either but she grew on me and I like her now.

Judging by the way things work at Hollywood, they would probably have chosen a black actress to portray Yara.

It looks like the other ethnicities are invisible to casting directors these days.

I would definitely prefer a native actress to portray Yara.

We’ll probably never gonna see her live IMO, they scrapped that project for a character no one cares about, Naomi.

Quote Originally Posted by enish View Post

We’ll probably never gonna see her live IMO, they scrapped that project for a character no one cares about, Naomi.
    Yeah I honestly don't get the appeal of that character. I'm guessing Ava Duvernay is the reason they went with that show instead of Wonder Girl. I'll be surprised if the show is a success.

I can't stand Naomi. It seems to me Yara Flor would have greater appeal, not because of race or ethnicity but because of Bendis.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I can't stand Naomi. It seems to me Yara Flor would have greater appeal, not because of race or ethnicity but because of Bendis.
    When you're an executive who doesn't really get the source material, you have:

"We have this pitch over a proof-of-concept that hasn't launched but is getting traction online over a young Latina Wonder Woman"

Or, alternatively, optionn number two:

"Ava DuVernay wants to do a show about a young black (possibly gay) woman by the guy who made Miles Morales, the character in that ultra successful Spider-Man movie that's now a video game."

What do you think they're going to greenlight, especially when being viewed as progressive is the current carrot megacorporations are chasing?

I didn't really think about the Miles Morales factor, but then again, Miles Morales was tied to one of the top 3 most popular superheroes in the world. Naomi isn't.

Wonder Girl at least has the name to back it up, and while it's not the biggest name, it's still much better than nothing. So I think Ava Duvernay was definitely what made a difference

The weird thing is though, Yara Flor has a massive inherent appeal. It's Beyonce as a superhero. That's all you need. It's the exact type of flavor that CW likes.

Wish I could find that Tick-Tok vid I saw posted on IG where a cosplayer talked about she gets flak for cosplaying white characters and Yara's presence makes her feel more valid and included.