Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Shows that got worse with age

Or better yet didn't live up to initial potential. For me a great example would be Heroes. When it debuted it had such potential that it took my favorite show on at the time from Lost but while Lost regained some direction Heroes lost it's way. Not talking about shows that were great but hung around a little too long, like Babylon 5, because writer told his tale but networks wanted more.
    More like shows that initially showed something but quickly lost it. Two shows I recall had outstanding pilots but never reached that level again, where Last Resort, an Adre Braugher submarine series, and the revamp of Hawaii Five O. Both pilots really captured my attention but never did afterwards to the same extent. At least Heroes had one great full season, these shows only had stellar pilots.

BANNED

Person of Interest is a clear front runner that comes to mind with that insipid Samaritan storyline. There's no reason it shouldn't still be running, but they capped their own knees with that one.

Enterprise is another, when they decided "let's fix the ratings by introducing an aliens species with no continuity whatsoever, and are so dumb the test a prototype weapon on the planet they mean to use the final version on, thus exposing their their very existence and sending Earth on a mission to stop them. "

It was absolutely the dumbest concept in Star Trek history, and that includes The Final Frontier.

does this only concern action/suspense dramas? Or comedy shows/sitcoms, too?

I thought with Last Resort it was one of those instances where they got news of their cancellation early so was able to craft a series finale. I liked it a lot and it introduced a lot of story elements I wanted to see followed up on in subsequent seasons.

But anyway...to answer the question...I'm sure there's better examples that will come to me later. But the one that instantly popped in my head???

Saved By The Bell.

Its best to watch this show with 90's tinted nostalgia googles, because otherwise Zack Morris is basically a sociopath played for laughs.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 5 should have been the end; instead, we got seasons 6 and 7... both of which were utter crap.
    Formerly known as Don't pee in the (Dead)pool...

I agree with nate on Saved by The Bell. Then they had Saved by the Bell The College Years. I cant even put into words how bad it was. I think it was mostly trying to play off Screech as the lovable loser at that age that really killed it.

And of course thought they are still on I will throw out The Simpson/Family Guy answers.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Lost. Supernatural. The Walking Dead. Veronica Mars. Grey's Anatomy. The West Wing. Game Of Thrones.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Mighty Member

Don’t most shows get worse with age?

I hear that a lot about the Walking Dead. But most of the people I talk to who used to watch say they stopped watching when their favorite character was killed off. To these people, I have to ask, what show did they think they were watching? It's called the WALKING DEAD, people! Not the Walking Dead, except for my favorite character who will never die. To these people, I say, go watch This Is Us.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Alias - Disappeared up its own butt into a mostly incoherent supernatural storyline

Heroes - Writers catered to fanservice and made the whole show about Sylar instead of moving on after season 1

How I Met Your Mother - Season 9

Northern Exposure - Tried to continue after losing their POV character and their writing staff. Failed.

The Simpsons - The show is still funny, but can't compare to its 20th century apex.

Castle - Completely fell apart after the creator left.

Game of Thrones - Creators lost interest in their own show. That hurt it more than running out of GRRM material, I think.

The X-Files - Tried to continue after pretty much everyone but the network had lost interest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Yep, except for 1 or 2

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

For that reason I thought the thread was about shows that as a whole were good in their time but for one reason or another they don't hold up when watched today.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

that was my first thought when I saw this thread.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I hear that a lot about the Walking Dead. But most of the people I talk to who used to watch say they stopped watching when their favorite character was killed off. To these people, I have to ask, what show did they think they were watching? It's called the WALKING DEAD, people! Not the Walking Dead, except for my favorite character who will never die. To these people, I say, go watch This Is Us.
    I stopped watching TWD last season. My two favorite characters were Daryl and Carol, and I'm not interested in watching their new spin-off, mainly because I feel "zombied out", and the show has really become more of communities fighting against each other than the threat of zombies.

In my mind, I can see Daryl and Carol ride off together, and that's a good ending for me.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Any show that relies on special fx and spectical to garner your attention. FX (especially on a tv budget) is rarely of the highest quality, and tends to age poorly.