Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotay View Post
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 5 should have been the end; instead, we got seasons 6 and 7... both of which were utter crap.
    "Once More With Feeling" says hi!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    "Once More With Feeling" says hi!
    Yep... just about the only season 6 episode Whedon was closely involved in.

I enjoyed season 7 quite a bit. Except for the hamfisted "let's all betray Buffy" storyline they shoehorned in for the "all is lost" part of the arc structure.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    For that reason I thought the thread was about shows that as a whole were good in their time but for one reason or another they don't hold up when watched today.
    Yeah, that's what "getting worse with age" generally means.

Boisterously Confused

Bones It went from a fairly interesting crime procedural featuring quirky characters to a soap about quirky characters that use criminal investigations as a story feature.

Lost
    Heroes
    Blindspot
    Blacklist
    Lost
    The Flash
    Walking Dead
    Lost
    Black Lightening
    Promised Neverland
    Lost

I disagree with green_garnish, I think Person of Interest got better.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Alias - Disappeared up its own butt into a mostly incoherent supernatural storyline

Heroes - Writers catered to fanservice and made the whole show about Sylar instead of moving on after season 1

How I Met Your Mother - Season 9

Northern Exposure - Tried to continue after losing their POV character and their writing staff. Failed.

The Simpsons - The show is still funny, but can't compare to its 20th century apex.

Castle - Completely fell apart after the creator left.

Game of Thrones - Creators lost interest in their own show. That hurt it more than running out of GRRM material, I think.

The X-Files - Tried to continue after pretty much everyone but the network had lost interest.
    I Agree on Heroes.

As much as I respect Zachary Quinto as a good actor , I have to agree that Sylar should have been killed off and stayed dead after season 1 of Heroes.

I don't think I have seen a show get that bad between the first and second seasons and Heroes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Yep... just about the only season 6 episode Whedon was closely involved in.

I enjoyed season 7 quite a bit. Except for the hamfisted "let's all betray Buffy" storyline they shoehorned in for the "all is lost" part of the arc structure.
    If this is a case of a show that was good in it's time, but has aged poorly, then my number one pick would have to be Buffy. I was a huge fan of this show when I was younger, but when I tried to do a re-watch a few years ago, I just couldn't do it.

If we're talking about shows that have gotten worse as they have gone on, my top two picks would be Legends of Tomorrow and The Flash- Legends with it's tonal shift, and The Flash with it's horrible writing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    If this is a case of a show that was good in it's time, but has aged poorly, then my number one pick would have to be Buffy. I was a huge fan of this show when I was younger, but when I tried to do a re-watch a few years ago, I just couldn't do it.

If we're talking about shows that have gotten worse as they have gone on, my top two picks would be Legends of Tomorrow and The Flash- Legends with it's tonal shift, and The Flash with it's horrible writing.
    A lot of the Buffy has aged badly movement is now coming from the fact that people really hate Joss Whedon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    A lot of the Buffy has aged badly movement is now coming from the fact that people really hate Joss Whedon now.
    See, for me it has nothing to do with Whedon. It's more to do with the aesthetic.

I can watch old or classic tv shows (like, for instance, MASH), and I'm okay with how it looks because I realize it's old.

Buffy was on the air when I was in high school.I literally graduated with the show, went to college with the show. I remember the 90's and early 2000's vividly. And so, when I tried to rewatch, the quality of the filming just looked BAD. Especially season 1. And as its been mentioned before in this thread, the vfx have not held up at all.

And on top of all of that, the fight scenes haven't held up much better. I remember it being okay at the time, but now, after nearly a solid decade of Arrow, of Daredevil, of all of these shows that feature stunning fight choreography, Buffy's fights just don't feel visceral enough for me anymore.

I remember hearing they were talking about doing a reboot of Buffy not too long ago. If they did, I'd be tempted to check it out to see a more modern take on the character- but that does seem unlikely, duo to everything going on around Whedon.

What's the timetable here? Because as said, most shows do naturally decline with age. But if there's a specific timetable here, like had potential but floundered after a season, then that creates more of a specific to lean on. For instance in that case the one that instantly comes to mind is Heroes as the OP said. That had all the potential in the world but it never lived up to anything ever again after season one. The infamous writers strike was only a part of the problem. It hurt interest sure, but the content upon its return was the main factor in its death knell.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-07-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Most (if not all) cartoons from the '80s.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    See, for me it has nothing to do with Whedon. It's more to do with the aesthetic.

I can watch old or classic tv shows (like, for instance, MASH), and I'm okay with how it looks because I realize it's old.

Buffy was on the air when I was in high school.I literally graduated with the show, went to college with the show. I remember the 90's and early 2000's vividly. And so, when I tried to rewatch, the quality of the filming just looked BAD. Especially season 1. And as its been mentioned before in this thread, the vfx have not held up at all.

And on top of all of that, the fight scenes haven't held up much better. I remember it being okay at the time, but now, after nearly a solid decade of Arrow, of Daredevil, of all of these shows that feature stunning fight choreography, Buffy's fights just don't feel visceral enough for me anymore.

I remember hearing they were talking about doing a reboot of Buffy not too long ago. If they did, I'd be tempted to check it out to see a more modern take on the character- but that does seem unlikely, duo to everything going on around Whedon.
    Well Whedon doesn't own Buffy so they could do a reboot that was totally different than his version, as Whedon only owns his version of Buffy...

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Well Whedon doesn't own Buffy so they could do a reboot that was totally different than his version, as Whedon only owns his version of Buffy...
    Whedon doesn't own any version of Buffy. Fox did, now Disney does. There has been talk of a reboot, but Whedon wanted no part of it and up until recently, the fandom was dead set against doing it without him.

Boom! Studios is now doing a rebooted comics adaptation that is selling better than the old canon ones Dark Horse did with Whedon's supervision. It's only a matter of time before the franchise gets a TV reboot. I won't have any interest in it... I already have my Buffy. But I expect with Whedon's disgrace the fandom will just throw up their hands now and move on to something else. I did.

Regarding TWD and to a degree FTWD improved in the past two years. TWD got a new producer for the Whisperer storyline. Part of the problem was season 7 for TWD, which was pretty much just entirely the buildup to the Savior war and had a lot of filler such as the Rick and Michonne carnival episode.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth