Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Music BIOPICs you wanna see?

Apparently there's a Bee Gees biopic coming out. It could feature their early days in Australia, their late 70s heyday and personal problems after that.

Howabout :

Village People - Ups and downs of the group. Could end with the You can't stop the music movie flopping BUT was a big hit here in Australia where they attend a big premiere party for it...

Bone Thugs & Harmony : messed up street kids who became hip-hop stars. One of them was "the kid on the milk carton"....

The Shaggs : (quirky indy comedy). 60's Teen girl group who made a really weird album after being pushed into it by their father. The enjoy a bizarre cult following...

and YOURS?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The Beatles. Seriously, has there ever been a really good biopic of their career? There have been movies that captured brief periods. I'd like to see a limited series TV show that covers them from the Quarrymen to the rooftop concert.

David Bowie.

Janis Joplin.

Led Zeppelin.

Kurt Cobain.

Josie and the Pussycats. (Live action, but faithful to the original unlike the 2001 one.)

The Sex Pistols... this one is better left in theory than in reality. It would almost certainly not be done right, and the band would hate it no matter what.

I would say Elvis Presley, but there is one in production right now.

Little Richard. Chuck Berry. (Buddy Holly and Jerry Lee Lewis are the only pioneering rockers I can think of who have gotten biopics.)

Bands like The Rolling Stones and The Who will go on this list eventually, but not while they're still active.

Beastie Boys.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Beastie Boys.
    Good one there.

Just Prince. I just have no idea who could play him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I would give Donald Glover a crack at it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post

David Bowie.

While it is not exactly a biopic?

Velvet Goldmine might be of interest(assuming you don't already know of it...)

Whitney Houston
    Bone Thugz N Harmony

Unpopular choice but R Kelly. I think there's a interesting story to be told there but unlike his muisc(The he doesn't own) he would financially profit from a film I assume. So for that reason no but he would make for one hell of Villian Protagonist. Child sex abuse victim>Huge RnB singer> marries underage Aaliyah>Bigger star>piss and pedo accusstions>Still a huge star> The downfall/Sex cult crap. Maybe after he's dead a can no longer profit from it make a movie and let his innocent children reap the financial rewards. Though unless his kids hate him that might be rough on them. You know what nevermind talked myself out if it.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 06-07-2021 at 12:16 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The Beatles. Seriously, has there ever been a really good biopic of their career? There have been movies that captured brief periods. I'd like to see a limited series TV show that covers them from the Quarrymen to the rooftop concert.
    Yeah, that would be awesome. There's a whole lot of history there that's never been fully covered in one comprehensive format.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Personally I don't like most music biopics because they all follow the same route and formula (no-one believes in me, someone believes in me and gives me a chance, I become a huge star, affairs and drugs and alcohol nearly destroy me, now I'm back on top look at my latest smash hit concert *YAWN*), but i would be up for a clever biopic... do one that is about the character not "dates in history", so picking a KEY time in their lives and just doing it about that (think more "the Queen" than "Chaplin"). You can convey the essence of someone in a one day segment, you don't need to do cliche journeys and dates. So for me:
    - Whitney Houston the week of her death
    - Barbara Streisand when she was just a small time actress in New York, auditioning for "Funny Girl" the new musical on Broadway
    - a biopic on Prince during his collaboration with Tim Burton for the Batman soundtrack. Sounds a cool way to do a biopic.
    - Dolly Parton during the Corona virus
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 06-07-2021 at 03:47 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Just recently I was speculating who could be cast in biopics for the aforementioned Led Zep and Beastie Boys. This thread is timely.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

BANNED

THE KINKS.
    -- Obscure, underrated band, who are famous but certainly not as celebrated, and could use the promotion from a music biopic.
    -- Lots of drama, since the Kinks have lows, personal and professional failures, and comebacks and so on.
    -- You could have a totally new picture of the '60s scene since the Kinks were often outsiders documenting the less known parts of it at the time.
    -- Ray and Dave Davies are two charismatic and interesting characters, and telling the stories of these working class brothers coming together and falling apart would be pretty neat.

It was a documentary series as opposed to a biopic, but The Beatles Anthology is easily the most comprehensive coverage of their entire career IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    That was the first name that came to my mind when I saw the topic, mostly because he was pretty secretive about his life so there's probably a lot that could be said that not many know.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Peter Jackson's documentary "Get Back", taken from hundreds of hours of unseen footage when they were recording Let It Be, will be out later this year.
    Word of mouth is it is damn good.

I thought Ron Howard's "Eight Days a Week", about the Beatles on tour was excellent.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Little Richard. Chuck Berry. (Buddy Holly and Jerry Lee Lewis are the only pioneering rockers I can think of who have gotten biopics.)
    Leon played Little Richard in his biopic, that one's gotta be pushin' up on 20 years give or take. That dude Leon got biopics of Little Richard and David Ruffin on his resume.

Yasiin Bey played Chuck Berry in a couple scenes in Cadillac Records, at that time he was still Mos Def.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.