Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Retired

I was sort of peeved that at some point every crossover was a Crisis on or in something with another group of characters. Granted Fox started it all with Earth-Three, but it really became a thing when Len Wein had the Seven Soldier's of Victory and the Freedom Fighters. Later came the Shazam! Squadron, the Legion of Super-Heroes, New Gods, etc.

With so many characters in one crossover it took time away from the Justice Society and the Justice League. I like the stories where the two groups got together and socialized. Rather than fetch quests, I think I would be much happier with characters sitting around a table talking about the weather.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I was sort of peeved that at some point every crossover was a Crisis on or in something with another group of characters. Granted Fox started it all with Earth-Three, but it really became a thing when Len Wein had the Seven Soldier's of Victory and the Freedom Fighters. Later came the Shazam! Squadron, the Legion of Super-Heroes, New Gods, etc.

With so many characters in one crossover it took time away from the Justice Society and the Justice League. I like the stories where the two groups got together and socialized. Rather than fetch quests, I think I would be much happier with characters sitting around a table talking about the weather.
    That's why I like the death of Mr. Terrific. It's just the two groups trapped in the satellite trying to solve a murder mystery (although I hate that Terry Sloane was killed).

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    That's why I like the death of Mr. Terrific. It's just the two groups trapped in the satellite trying to solve a murder mystery (although I hate that Terry Sloane was killed).
    Yeah, I was introduced to a character I had never read before (I did know of him previously from one of my comic book price guides, FWIW), but then he gets offed. Guess it's better that way then to become a big fan of a superhero (Barry, Hal, Kara, etc.) only to see them get killed off.

Great story, nevertheless.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The one with Per Degaton where he took over the world.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Justice League #147-148 it was the first time my three all time favorite DC characters were on the same cover (GL Hal Jordan, Lightning Lad and GL Alan Scott) well they were probably on some Perez cover with every DC hero ever but featured on the same cover. I loved that arc. I did also love the New Gods one because of the Perez artistic brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The one with Per Degaton where he took over the world.
    You mean this one?

from #207-209 + All-Star Squadron #14-15 (1982) "Crisis on Earth-Prime!"

Yeah I only had the JLA issues from that tho.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You mean this one?

from #207-209 + All-Star Squadron #14-15 (1982) "Crisis on Earth-Prime!"
    Okay, I'll give Kent a pass (since we can't see his mouth), but what's the deal with Robotman? He looks like he's digging Per Degaton's vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Okay, I'll give Kent a pass (since we can't see his mouth), but what's the deal with Robotman? He looks like he's digging Per Degaton's vibe.
    Kent's one visible eyeball seems to indicate some concern! But Robotman's motives do seem a bit questionable here...

Have a heart. His face is stuck like that.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Have a heart. His face is stuck like that.
    It wasn't always drawn like that, though.

Retired

I still think Robotman had a limited number of expressions on his metal face. It was the 1940s, the technology hadn't come that far yet.

Anyway, the scene on the cover is quite meta. You have Per Degaton standing in front of some giant-sized comic books and you have some floating heads outside the border in the white space. They're probably more caught up in being floating heads than what's going on with the comic book collection that Per Degaton is celebrating in his cracked polybags. Robotman is stoic because he's had enough experiences as a floating head that he's used to it and he's just enjoying the experience of being in the white space outside of the comic panels.

Definitely 100-102 for me. My entire love of DC's golden age heroes can be traced back to reading those issues as a child.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    LOL That is hilarious!

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I still have plenty of classics to read, but I recently read this:

And man, it really checked off so many boxes of what I felt is missing in comics. Batman and Mr. Terrific talk about personal loss in the Batcave, Wally, Jay, Plastic Man and Hour Man all watch a hockey game, the Atom helps Dr. Mid-Nite diagnose Alan by going into his bloodstream, and a host of other brief team-ups...I miss a lot of these characters being front and center, but I also miss the approach of their interaction, which can be more casual or still involve the use of powers but at least not locked in a life-or-death struggle. It shouldn't be hard to replicate this feeling of family and history. But I guess that's what happens when you throw everything out, can't make up your mind about what to bring back, and beat the dead horse of thin cosmic-level crossovers.