Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Star Wars romance

So, having watched all 9 films Clone Wars, Rebels and so far Mandalorian, romance I feel like should be more in the foreground without overshadowing the main narrative. Like with Ahsoka, she should've been given a love interest, and that wouldn't need to overshadow her bad-assery or friendship with Anakin. Just something to add to the story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, having watched all 9 films Clone Wars, Rebels and so far Mandalorian, romance I feel like should be more in the foreground without overshadowing the main narrative. Like with Ahsoka, she should've been given a love interest, and that wouldn't need to overshadow her bad-assery or friendship with Anakin. Just something to add to the story.
    Star Wars thus far has a mixed bag with romances. Han and Leia were good... for their time; there’s definitely a “Uh, heh-heh... sorry, it was the 80’s” element to some of ESB’s romance arc now. Anakin and Padme was horribly executed, but had a slight advantage in that it was supposed to be a bad relationship once everything went to hell. Rey and Kylo/Ben is utter trash unworthy of anything but contempt - the Tumblr posts and fan fiction written about the pairing is almost literally guaranteed to be better than what made it to screen. Qira and Han was competent but lackluster. Outside of the films, Hera and Kansan was decent, but always background, while maybe the first actual romance-first Star Wars novel, Lost Stars, is genuinely amazing with it’s romance between Thane and Ciena.

Ahsoka *does* actually have a romantic interest - Lux Bonateri. I think it struggled a bit because most people could tell it was meant to be an attraction and mild flirtation, but that was it; no one invested in it because they could tell it wasn’t going to last.

I’d be glad to see a purpose-built romantic arc in future Star Wars media. Arguably the only problem it has is that sometimes creators try to execute such things and fail because of their own issues - Lucas’s later issues with dialogue and directing in the PT, Rian Johnson and LFL becoming so obsessed with Adam Driver they forgot the actual story and characters on the ST.

*If* Filoni or Favreau have an idea for a romance arc and can execute it well without screwing anything up, I’d look forward to it. But I wouldn’t want, say, Sabine Wren to suddenly lose her brain and strength of character when pushed into a romance with Din Djarin, or for a returning Ezra Bridget to struggle to execute basic romance arcs with someone because Filoni doesn’t have that down yet.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I feel Mando has done well without the romance tbh. His connection to Grogu is much more interesting.

As for other SW romances, Han and Leia is believable but problematic at times, Anakin and Padme are completely unbelievable. Idk if Han and Qira were even a couple tbh

Mighty Member

Han and Leia work well.

But the best romance since is probably Obi-wan and Satine, on account of being starcrossed. It was all in the tension.

I think at some stage of Rogue One's development they considered it with Cassian and Jyn, possibly having them get married at the end if they survived. Not much of it in the finished film though.

There's also possibly something between Chirrut and Maze but it wasn't really that present.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think at some stage of Rogue One's development they considered it with Cassian and Jyn, possibly having them get married at the end if they survived. Not much of it in the finished film though.

There's also possibly something between Chirrut and Maze but it wasn't really that present.
    Get married at the end after one movie where they spent half the time hating each other. Yeah, I didn't really get that

Extraordinary Member

Lost Stars is still far and away the best use of romance in the Disney era - good enough I’d recommend it to anyone who wants a romance story, and good enough I’d recommend it to anyone who loves lore-building and compelling character arcs and conflict.

A good way to summarize how it handles its romance - it’s the only “star-crossed lovers” story in any major franchise I actually both 100% enjoyed *and* didn’t make either character a compromising moron. If someone was a fan of the ST’s handling of Rey and Kylo, I’d recommend it t9 them as a better example fo the tripe they became addicted to. If someone hated the way the ST handled Rey and Kylo because they have standards or simply remembered Rey was a character, not a reward for Ben Solo, I’d still recommend it as an example of how the same tropes and archetypes that Reylo was supposed to have can actually be good in a well written story.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Get married at the end after one movie where they spent half the time hating each other. Yeah, I didn't really get that
    It's a well worn trope at this point, going back at least as far as that Shakespeare fellow and his plays.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Only problem with LS was that the small universe stuff. Both characters are pretty much at every major OT event or somehow involved-and Ciena's crashed Star Destroyer just happens to be the exact one from TFA.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Lost Stars is still far and away the best use of romance in the Disney era - good enough I’d recommend it to anyone who wants a romance story, and good enough I’d recommend it to anyone who loves lore-building and compelling character arcs and conflict.

A good way to summarize how it handles its romance - it’s the only “star-crossed lovers” story in any major franchise I actually both 100% enjoyed *and* didn’t make either character a compromising moron. If someone was a fan of the ST’s handling of Rey and Kylo, I’d recommend it t9 them as a better example fo the tripe they became addicted to. If someone hated the way the ST handled Rey and Kylo because they have standards or simply remembered Rey was a character, not a reward for Ben Solo, I’d still recommend it as an example of how the same tropes and archetypes that Reylo was supposed to have can actually be good in a well written story.
    Is that a novel?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It's a well worn trope at this point, going back at least as far as that Shakespeare fellow and his plays.
    It's a stupid trope IMO. I liked how the movie went, and I prefer when romances begin between people who actually like each other.

Lost Stars is a young adult novel released around the time TFA came out.

It was later adapted into a Japanese manga series, which was then translated over to English.

The writer Claudia Gray quickly became one of the main writers of the new EU, working on Bloodlines (Post ROTJ Leia novel dealing with the end of her political career and the start of the resistance) Master & Apprentice (Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan novel), a High Republic novel, as well as another YA adult novel about Leia detailing her early days with the Rebellion and her friendship with Holdo

Extraordinary Member

Only problem with LS was that the small universe stuff. Both characters are pretty much at every major OT event or somehow involved-and Ciena's crashed Star Destroyer just happens to be the exact one from TFA.
    I honestly think most “small universe” complaints are overblown wherever they show up - at least as far as characters go. It’s a shared universe, so your VIPS are better used when they can interact with each other or share experiences from different perspectives.

I mean, I’m really hoping that we end up seeing Sabine show up on The Mandalorian alongside Finn Rau in some manner.

Ultimate Member

Lost Stars is a young adult novel released around the time TFA came out.

It was later adapted into a Japanese manga series, which was then translated over to English.

The writer Claudia Gray quickly became one of the main writers of the new EU, working on Bloodlines (Post ROTJ Leia novel dealing with the end of her political career and the start of the resistance) Master & Apprentice (Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan novel), a High Republic novel, as well as another YA adult novel about Leia detailing her early days with the Rebellion and her friendship with Holdo
    Ok. Is it based around the TFA era?

It pretty much covers from shortly after ROTS to a year after ROTJ, at the battle of Jakku. Basically two people grow up together, go to the Imperial academy etc but when the war starts, one remains loyal to the Empire (despite knowing that it's kind of rotten) while the other joins the alliance. Apart from Jakku there's also some further hints towards the sequels, as the main character scouts D'qar, eventually the site of the Resistance base from TFA and the start of TLJ. (This was part of the "Journey to the force awakens" publishing initiative, which were mainly OT-era stories but which contained many hints about the upcoming movie).

There hasn't been any sequel I don't think that shows what happens to the characters later on, although the novel does leave a little bit of hope.

Ultimate Member

It pretty much covers from shortly after ROTS to a year after ROTJ, at the battle of Jakku. Basically two people grow up together, go to the Imperial academy etc but when the war starts, one remains loyal to the Empire (despite knowing that it's kind of rotten) while the other joins the alliance. Apart from Jakku there's also some further hints towards the sequels, as the main character scouts D'qar, eventually the site of the Resistance base from TFA and the start of TLJ. (This was part of the "Journey to the force awakens" publishing initiative, which were mainly OT-era stories but which contained many hints about the upcoming movie).

There hasn't been any sequel I don't think that shows what happens to the characters later on, although the novel does leave a little bit of hope.
    Ok. Does it have a lot of the YA tropes and cliches?