Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

One change Disney has made is more human diversity in the Empire than the original films.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

With the Empire aliens always seemed to be 2nd class citizens. The only way to climb the ranks as a non human in the Empire was to just be so good at your job they could not ignore you like Thrawn was.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    With the Empire aliens always seemed to be 2nd class citizens. The only way to climb the ranks as a non human in the Empire was to just be so good at your job they could not ignore you like Thrawn was.
    Even then;
    1. Thrawn is an incredibly humanoid alien.
    2. His race is from the Unknown Region, therefore, not actually part of the Empire/Republic.

He also had a lot of information-although he kept it mostly to himself-about regions of the galaxy the Republic/Empire were largely in the dark about, and that could possibly be a threat (In the old EU it was mainly the Vong, in the new Disney one there's some sort of Vong-esque aliens called the Grysk although they lack a lot of the weirder elements of the Vong such as a lot of the organic technology), so Palpatine probably thought that was an asset (and of course he had his own secrets in the Unknown regions too).

The Old EU even implied-in Outbound Flight-that the reason the Empire was so militarized was because a younger Thrawn warned Chancellor Palpatine about the Vong.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    He also had a lot of information-although he kept it mostly to himself-about regions of the galaxy the Republic/Empire were largely in the dark about, and that could possibly be a threat (In the old EU it was mainly the Vong, in the new Disney one there's some sort of Vong-esque aliens called the Grysk although they lack a lot of the weirder elements of the Vong such as a lot of the organic technology), so Palpatine probably thought that was an asset (and of course he had his own secrets in the Unknown regions too).

The Old EU even implied-in Outbound Flight-that the reason the Empire was so militarized was because a younger Thrawn warned Chancellor Palpatine about the Vong.
    As much as I kind of liked that idea back then, I’ve since come to feel that the more logical and dramatic way to play Thrawn’s “pragmatism” in supporting the Empire would be to have his decision disproven in a cruel irony - that regardless of how well he’s judged the UR threat, it turns out to be less dangerous and less destructive to his people than the Empire.

The Chiss Ascendancy occupies the same area that the First Order shelters in after ROTJ; a creatively brutal bit fo karma for Thrawn would be that after or as he is defeated in the TV shows, he becomes aware that the Imperial Remnant is starting to conquer, enslave, and wipe out the Ascendancy so that it can use the resources for itself, and his ostensibly logical if cruel judgement of the situation was wrong, and the cost of him believing he must sacrifice the innocent of the larger Galaxy for the sake of order and his people is him realizing that order will inevitably be betrayed by his allies, and his people as well.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

According to the Aftermath trilogy, Thrawn's knowledge of the Unknown Regions was the main reason he was accepted into service despite not being human. (That said, the Aftermath trilogy has been invalidated on a number of points, so who knows if that applies anymore.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I liked how Han & Leia grew into a couple (Organa-ically).

Luke & Mara Jade were a great couple. Shame Disney trashed it.

Ultimate Member

Idk if Mara Jade was ever going to be in the Disney SW Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    I liked how Han & Leia grew into a couple (Organa-ically).

Luke & Mara Jade were a great couple. Shame Disney trashed it.
    Yeah, I enjoyed it myself. There's a lot Disney tossed by the wayside, though.

Extraordinary Member

I could see a way to bring back Mara and a general relationship with Luke… but you’d almost have to make it part of a generally “that’s not at all what the ST suggested…” move on LFL’s part.

Basically, exploit the crap out of how many people are totally okay with The Mandalorian’s version of Luke fits more the expectation of his character and has a student who’s unlikely to be killed by Ben “Darth Affluenza” Solo: make Mara one of a handful of other possible students/peers Luke trains with before setting up his temple, some of whom could make an appearance after the ST’s over as well, so that it’s not just a gigantic depression cloud when it’s all over,
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP