Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    So, having watched all 9 films Clone Wars, Rebels and so far Mandalorian, romance I feel like should be more in the foreground without overshadowing the main narrative. Like with Ahsoka, she should've been given a love interest, and that wouldn't need to overshadow her bad-assery or friendship with Anakin. Just something to add to the story.
    It has been awhile now but i thought that Ahsoka and Korkie Kryze or someone who was a son of a senator were being built up to something resembling a teen romance in Clone Wars
    Last edited by Tofali; 06-08-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok. Does it have a lot of the YA tropes and cliches?
    Depends exactly on how you mean that.

For instance, there isn’t any true love triangle present at all - a villain has a crush on the girl, but she’s only freaked out because he’s a creepy madman who’s embraced the Imperial Doctrine to a truly disturbing degree. The drama in the romance is strictly between two people who were in love and end up on opposite sides afterwards.

There is an entire section set at the Imperial Academy, a bit like a twisted Hogwarts for Navy Officers and TIE pilots, and a full on dance scene very much like a prom. But, you know, it’s the Empire so there’s some genuine intrigue and a lot of the stuff being done there is so that the war part of the story feels a lot more developed when classmates start dying.

The thing wound up being adapted pretty faithfully as a manga, if that helps you pin down more of its mood and tone. Our heroes are highly ambitious “want to be the very best” types at first, and things get highly dramatic but dangerous; it’s melodramatic on the way a manga is, even in the book version.

As a dude who read Alex Rider as a kid then Red Rising as a young adult, Lost Star was highly entertaining to me... and the female fans I know love it as well, if that helps,
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Depends exactly on how you mean that.

For instance, there isn’t any true love triangle present at all - a villain has a crush on the girl, but she’s only freaked out because he’s a creepy madman who’s embraced the Imperial Doctrine to a truly disturbing degree. The drama in the romance is strictly between two people who were in love and end up on opposite sides afterwards.

There is an entire section set at the Imperial Academy, a bit like a twisted Hogwarts for Navy Officers and TIE pilots, and a full on dance scene very much like a prom. But, you know, it’s the Empire so there’s some genuine intrigue and a lot of the stuff being done there is so that the war part of the story feels a lot more developed when classmates start dying.

The thing wound up being adapted pretty faithfully as a manga, if that helps you pin down more of its mood and tone. Our heroes are highly ambitious “want to be the very best” types at first, and things get highly dramatic but dangerous; it’s melodramatic on the way a manga is, even in the book version.

As a dude who read Alex Rider as a kid then Red Rising as a young adult, Lost Star was highly entertaining to me... and the female fans I know love it as well, if that helps,
    Ok. I'm only semi familiar with YA but I've noticed plenty of cliches, like the oft hated love triangle. Idk why they always have to be there. Good to know this doesn't have those tropes

Extraordinary Member

Ok. I'm only semi familiar with YA but I've noticed plenty of cliches, like the oft hated love triangle. Idk why they always have to be there. Good to know this doesn't have those tropes
    While I was very happy to not have a true love triangle in this book, I do feel like it might still be YA in style... but well done, which can make all the difference in the world.

And I’ve liked it enough I now own a physical copy, a digital version of the manga adaptation, and an audio version.

I listened to it today while going to a job interview, and it occurs to me, it wouldn’t be that hard to adapt it to a TV show, if Disney ever wanted to try making a romantic Star Wars TV show.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

While I was very happy to not have a true love triangle in this book, I do feel like it might still be YA in style... but well done, which can make all the difference in the world.

And I’ve liked it enough I now own a physical copy, a digital version of the manga adaptation, and an audio version.

I listened to it today while going to a job interview, and it occurs to me, it wouldn’t be that hard to adapt it to a TV show, if Disney ever wanted to try making a romantic Star Wars TV show.
    Ok.

I can't see SW making a show dedicated mainly to romance, but it's not impossible

Extraordinary Member

Ok.

I can't see SW making a show dedicated mainly to romance, but it's not impossible
    Yeah, I don’t see them doing it either - the last few years have strongly implied that LFL is usually more cautious when it comes to genre bending. Rogue One being a war film was the only real success they had at that, while their first stab at a smaller scale heist film in Solo lost money thanks to BTS issues, Resistance never took off as a racing show, and the ST saw a lot more infighting of what direction things should go than it did actual experimentation.

The Acolyte and Rogue Squadron might be their next real attempts at getting mildly out of their comfort zone, and even then, Star Wars has a long history of starfighter media and dark siders aren’t out of their comfort zone by very much.

A dedicated romance series would be something they likely wouldn’t see as a good use of resources... and that I wouldn’t trust them with given how lackluster they’ve handled it so far in this era.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I don’t see them doing it either - the last few years have strongly implied that LFL is usually more cautious when it comes to genre bending. Rogue One being a war film was the only real success they had at that, while their first stab at a smaller scale heist film in Solo lost money thanks to BTS issues, Resistance never took off as a racing show, and the ST saw a lot more infighting of what direction things should go than it did actual experimentation.

The Acolyte and Rogue Squadron might be their next real attempts at getting mildly out of their comfort zone, and even then, Star Wars has a long history of starfighter media and dark siders aren’t out of their comfort zone by very much.

A dedicated romance series would be something they likely wouldn’t see as a good use of resources... and that I wouldn’t trust them with given how lackluster they’ve handled it so far in this era.
    Idk about genre bending as a whole. I like seeing different ideas, although IMO the idea of "genre-izing" movies just makes them more prone to repeated tropes. But I would like to see Star Wars step out of it's comfort zone, especially with how massive the galaxy is. Maybe have an alien protagonist for once

But specifically with romance, I don't see it happening, for the reasons you pointed out. I'm not a huge romance fan so that doesn't bother me, although others may like this idea.

Idk about genre bending as a whole. I like seeing different ideas, although IMO the idea of "genre-izing" movies just makes them more prone to repeated tropes. But I would like to see Star Wars step out of it's comfort zone, especially with how massive the galaxy is. Maybe have an alien protagonist for once

But specifically with romance, I don't see it happening, for the reasons you pointed out. I'm not a huge romance fan so that doesn't bother me, although others may like this idea.
    Merely having a speaking alien be a major cast member in a non-animated show would be huge, even if they aren't the core protagonist.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Merely having a speaking alien be a major cast member in a non-animated show would be huge, even if they aren't the core protagonist.
    It’s likely Thrawn will occupy that role in the F&F series as a primary villain for some time period, but he’s a classic “low-effort” alien with skin tone, eye color, and maybe a rubber forehead.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Yeah, I'd just like to see it in live action.

Ultimate Member

It’s likely Thrawn will occupy that role in the F&F series as a primary villain for some time period, but he’s a classic “low-effort” alien with skin tone, eye color, and maybe a rubber forehead.
    Like the kinds of aliens you see more often in Star Trek

I think maybe Zahn's reasoning behind that is that at that point in the films the Empire's starfleet is seen as entirely human (especially compared with ROTJ's version of the Rebels), and therefore in the EU was "speciest" but Thrawn was "close enough" to be given a shot.

This kind of thing sort of started to lose it's sort of canon with Palpatine having an alien Sith apprentice, as well as a good chunk of his staff/advisors/conspirators also being aliens and it's mostly been ignored by Disney I think.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think maybe Zahn's reasoning behind that is that at that point in the films the Empire's starfleet is seen as entirely human (especially compared with ROTJ's version of the Rebels), and therefore in the EU was "speciest" but Thrawn was "close enough" to be given a shot.

This kind of thing sort of started to lose it's sort of canon with Palpatine having an alien Sith apprentice, as well as a good chunk of his staff/advisors/conspirators also being aliens and it's mostly been ignored by Disney I think.
    I've always thought the Empire was somewhat human-centered but I couldn't be sure.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I've always thought the Empire was somewhat human-centered but I couldn't be sure.
    That was definitely part of the old EU and I still think it largely fits even today.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That was definitely part of the old EU and I still think it largely fits even today.
    Seems so. I think the Rebels are more multispecies, although the main characters are still mostly human anyway