Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 110
  1. #76
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,688

    Default

    Speaking of dead men, this issue teases us that Deadman will come back later on. Awesome to know. That dude deserves some fun.

  2. #77
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    We need to get Azz back so we can get slvn back. (I've never read any posts from this poster...)

    Yeah Deadman needs some s'plaining to do because he said he was sent to watch over Diana, but by whooooo? (Probably the Quintessence )

    Wonder if what happened at the end of this issue will imminently tie into Wonder Girl... Probably not.

    Still cant figure out of WW & WG take place on top of each other or if one takes place before the other...

  3. #78
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    What are you talking about? Pre-Crisis CBR is always relevant to conversations that have nothing to do with it.

    There certainly is a turn-and-burn built into the readership, but I do think the arguments past posters have made can be relevant to discussion. There are quite a few voices that have left for whatever reason that I miss hearing from.

    Hell, I wonder sometimes which of us is nex






    Robanker died returning to his home planet.
    I miss Carol Strickland and Andy Mangles, both well known Wonder Woman historians. Also Aegis Bearer he was a super cool mod too.

  4. #79
    Spectacular Member HestiasHearth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Themyscira
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Starting the run with a depowered as well as an amnesia Diana wasn't good, at least for me. It's not like the readers don't know who Diana is, but we have to have a 4 issue arc about her finding herself. Also, the Siggy CW character relationship seemed forced upon us too fast. I would have liked for it to spread out even longer since Diana rarely has relationships with men, so it did seem fast for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

    Now, the things that actually do somewhat bother me in this arc is how Diana seems to somewhat enjoy violence, whereas to me what she should enjoy are challenges. In other words, Diana likes to tussle, but once people start getting hurt she should resort to incapacitating instead of fighting, unless it is necessary, and even then no joy should come from it.
    ^^^^^Agreed with their three points. Is it me, or do lots of writers who start a run in an established character's book love to do the whole "amnesiac/depowered" thing? I don't see the point, but to each their own.
    The thing about enjoying violence goes without saying. No amount of "but she's a warrior!!!!" will convince me that Diana enjoys, relishes, and gets a kick out of inflicting pain. That goes against the essence of who she is.
    And the less said about Siggy, the better. I want him to go back to whatever CW teenage dreamboat show he came from.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 06-10-2021 at 12:19 PM.

  5. #80
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,688

    Default

    Siggy isn't the unusual quirky type of person I want Diana with but I didn't think they really forced much. They had them have fun with each other and Diana was worried about him because he was a virtuous person that helped her, but she wasn't on her knees over heels for him, nor was there much drama. It was light and simple. So the "relationship" didn't bother me at all. I don't want to see her in a long term relationship with him though (nor do I want her in a long term relationship with Steve Trevor anymore).

    And the reason why the amnesiac plot worked is because Diana actually did feel like the cool Diana in a way she hasn't in a while. Whereas most stories have Diana know who she is and yet not act like an actual person. This was a funny Diana with quirks and atitude, while still having strong values. Her comfort with violence was only a minor part of 2 or 3 moments through the whole storyarc, so it's just a minor problem I sort of have. And again, at least it was clear that she knew everyone there would come back if they died and that they all desired battle.

  6. #81
    Just crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Siggy isn't the unusual quirky type of person I want Diana with but I didn't think they really forced much. They had them have fun with each other and Diana was worried about him because he was a virtuous person that helped her, but she wasn't on her knees over heels for him, nor was there much drama. It was light and simple. So the "relationship" didn't bother me at all. I don't want to see her in a long term relationship with him though (nor do I want her in a long term relationship with Steve Trevor anymore).

    And the reason why the amnesiac plot worked is because Diana actually did feel like the cool Diana in a way she hasn't in a while. Whereas most stories have Diana know who she is and yet not act like an actual person. This was a funny Diana with quirks and atitude, while still having strong values. Her comfort with violence was only a minor part of 2 or 3 moments through the whole storyarc, so it's just a minor problem I sort of have. And again, at least it was clear that she knew everyone there would come back if they died and that they all desired battle.
    You say that this Diana felt like the cool Diana she hasn't been, but at the same time she also felt out of character with her one night stand with Siggy.

    When has she been in character where she met a person and then seemingly was pining away for him and saying that she would save him, etc...? I don't think she did that with Trevor initially. It took time for her relationship with Trevor to be established.

    I don't want her with Trevor, but if they were going to have her hook up with Siggy, at least they could have set it up better than they had. He also gives off the CW vibe that has been mentioned before.

  7. #82
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    You say that this Diana felt like the cool Diana she hasn't been, but at the same time she also felt out of character with her one night stand with Siggy.

    When has she been in character where she met a person and then seemingly was pining away for him and saying that she would save him, etc...? I don't think she did that with Trevor initially. It took time for her relationship with Trevor to be established.

    I don't want her with Trevor, but if they were going to have her hook up with Siggy, at least they could have set it up better than they had. He also gives off the CW vibe that has been mentioned before.
    She was like that with Steve in the Golden Age.

    She left the Island to be with him... (wasn't the whole reason, but like 70% of it)

  8. #83
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    She was like that with Steve in the Golden Age.

    She left the Island to be with him... (wasn't the whole reason, but like 70% of it)
    Pretty much

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    You say that this Diana felt like the cool Diana she hasn't been, but at the same time she also felt out of character with her one night stand with Siggy.
    I honestly don't understand why people enjoy how closed off Diana's romantic exploits have been. I loved Diana finally being carefree and comfortable with fun and romance in that regard. I get why Clark Kent would only want serious long term relationships and why Bruce Wayne would be afraid of letting women get too close to him, but Diana should be open to affection and romance and fun. There's no real reason why she has to be so uneventful.

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    When has she been in character where she met a person and then seemingly was pining away for him and saying that she would save him, etc...? I don't think she did that with Trevor initially.
    She wasn't pining for him dude. She was worried because he was her friend (with benefits) and a virtuous soldier that had helped her, and had gone missing. She wasn't looking for a boyfriend, and in fact they both parted ways after the war was over, without much drama on either side. They just enjoyed each other's company for a little while, that's it. No big deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I don't want her with Trevor, but if they were going to have her hook up with Siggy, at least they could have set it up better than they had. He also gives off the CW vibe that has been mentioned before.
    I don't understand the CW reference.
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-10-2021 at 01:38 PM.

  9. #84
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    I don't think people know how badly Golden Age Diana wanted Steve back then, lol. She stalked him everywhere in her civ identity, she was head-over-heels for this man. It didn't stop her from being strong and independent, but I'm pretty sure if it wasn't taboo to depict someone in a deep romantic relationship out of wedlock back then, she would have been involved with him pretty fast.

    Back to Siggy, I always took Diana to be a good judge of character, so I don't really see it as out-of-character for her for her to sleep with him.

    Edit: And to add to that, ancient Greek culture wasn't exactly known for being shy about sexual relationships.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-10-2021 at 02:42 PM.

  10. #85
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I miss Carol Strickland and Andy Mangles, both well known Wonder Woman historians. Also Aegis Bearer he was a super cool mod too.
    I just drowned in a wave of nostalgia. Damn. I gotta pour one out for them.

  11. #86
    Spectacular Member HestiasHearth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Themyscira
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

    I don't understand the CW reference.
    LOL It was just me. I mentioned earlier that the way he was drawn in the book was, to me, very reminiscent of the typical hunky male supermodel that the CW often uses in their teen dramas. He was a long-lashed, long-haired, lean-yet-muscular, square-jawed, six-packed dreamboat, with big ass pecs that had just the right amount of hair so as to make him manly enough (but not too in-your-face virile). They even had a lovingly designed panel of him sleeping, with that glorious mane framing his flawless face. On one hand, it was cool having the dude being objectified by a very female/gay male gaze, but on the other hand, him being so preternaturally handsome took me out of the story. Lol

  12. #87
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    The writers descripted Siggy as a "thirst trap".

    And yes, yes he was.

  13. #88
    Astonishing Member Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,569

    Default

    This run is so fun, I love the creative team's take on Diana. Feels like a breath of fresh air after years and years of terrible decompressed stories.
    I'm also realy enjoying the back-ups. They're way more entertaining and insightful than I initially expected.

  14. #89
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    This run is so fun, I love the creative team's take on Diana. Feels like a breath of fresh air after years and years of terrible decompressed stories.
    I'm also realy enjoying the back-ups. They're way more entertaining and insightful than I initially expected.
    The lesbian energy of the backup had me seeing all colors of the rainbow.

  15. #90
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    LOL It was just me. I mentioned earlier that the way he was drawn in the book was, to me, very reminiscent of the typical hunky male supermodel that the CW often uses in their teen dramas. He was a long-lashed, long-haired, lean-yet-muscular, square-jawed, six-packed dreamboat, with big ass pecs that had just the right amount of hair so as to make him manly enough (but not too in-your-face virile). They even had a lovingly designed panel of him sleeping, with that glorious mane framing his flawless face. On one hand, it was cool having the dude being objectified by a very female/gay male gaze, but on the other hand, him being so preternaturally handsome took me out of the story. Lol
    So he has maximum attractiveness. The other person seemed to be implying that there was something negative about it. Thanks for the explanation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •