Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I don't remember Azz's run getting as much acclaim as this one is during the New 52. Fans (at least here) were pretty split on it.
    Are you kidding me? The critics were raving over Azz's run, saying that Daddy Zeus just made sense among other things.

Also, based upon volume, the positive posters outnumbered those who didn't like the run. Or it could be that many posters just left the Wonder Woman messageboard because they didn't like the run. Silly me, I stayed on the Azz ride until issue 25 before I quit the series. Lots of wasted spending on something that I was trying hard to like but just couldn't. I quit Wonder Woman altogether because of Azz, although I have bought some trade paperbacks since besides the 4 most recent issues on comixology.

I remember one poster that went by the name slvn or silvanus that would write Phd dissertations on the Azz run, and if you somehow implied in a post a negative or critical aspect of the run, he would write a minor essay into why you were wrong.

Google Azz Wonder Woman and I am sure all the old reviews raving about his run are still out there.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Are you kidding me? The critics were raving over Azz's run, saying that Daddy Zeus just made sense among other things.

Also, based upon volume, the positive posters outnumbered those who didn't like the run. Or it could be that many posters just left the Wonder Woman messageboard because they didn't like the run. Silly me, I stayed on the Azz ride until issue 25 before I quit the series. Lots of wasted spending on something that I was trying hard to like but just couldn't. I quit Wonder Woman altogether because of Azz, although I have bought some trade paperbacks since besides the 4 most recent issues on comixology.

I remember one poster that went by the name slvn or silvanus that would write Phd dissertations on the Azz run, and if you somehow implied in a post a negative or critical aspect of the run, he would write a minor essay into why you were wrong.

Google Azz Wonder Woman and I am sure all the old reviews raving about his run are still out there.

While I agree with most of what you said. I think Nyssane is correct in that the opinions on Azz's run were way more split than they are on the current run. Not to discount your opinion, but from what I've seen, you are 1 of only 2 people I've seen that have voiced mostly negativity about the current run. I do think you are correct however in that many readers stopped reading WW during Azz's run and left the message boards too. In fact I know of a few that left because of SLVN and other prominent defenders of Azzarello here on the these boards as some of Azz's defenders expected a praise or be silent behavior on these parts. I'm really enjoying the current run but if you aren't I'm sorry. Maybe you'll warm up to it and if not, maybe the next run will be better suited for your taste.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I think criticism is healthy for any work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    While I agree with most of what you said. I think Nyssane is correct in that the opinions on Azz's run were way more split than they are on the current run. Not to discount your opinion, but from what I've seen, you are 1 of only 2 people I've seen that have voiced mostly negativity about the current run. I do think you are correct however in that many readers stopped reading WW during Azz's run and left the message boards too. In fact I know of a few that left because of SLVN and other prominent defenders of Azzarello here on the these boards as some of Azz's defenders expected a praise or be silent behavior on these parts. I'm really enjoying the current run but if you aren't I'm sorry. Maybe you'll warm up to it and if not, maybe the next run will be better suited for your taste.
    I am critical of the current run, but only with respect to the apparent lavish praise that it seems to be getting from the posters here. It's what got me to fork over some money for the last 4 issues, and it was underwhelming. So I am more negative in the sense that I don't see where all the hype is concerning the current run.

Otherwise, the writing seems good, although as I have said I like to see more 'rules' in effect instead of what I consider lazy writing tools.

And sure, the Azz run was split amongst many of the people here, but it was a critical darling for reviewers.

Starting the run with a depowered as well as an amnesia Diana wasn't good, at least for me. It's not like the readers don't know who Diana is, but we have to have a 4 issue arc about her finding herself. Also, the Siggy CW character relationship seemed forced upon us too fast. I would have liked for it to spread out even longer since Diana rarely has relationships with men, so it did seem fast for me.
    Last edited by BiteTheBullet; 06-10-2021 at 05:44 AM.

Was that your old screenname? Cuz you seem to be doing that with this run.

So I am more negative in the sense that I don't see where all the hype is concerning the current run.
    As far as I'm concerned, because it's actually a really fun book to read while having an intriguing story to tell, and it has been a while since I actually liked to read Diana. I'm one of the people that was interested in the stories that Steve Orlando wrote, and liked some character moments, but even then Diana lacked proper personality. I don't like Diana to be a list of proper values. I want her to be someone that has some joy in being alive and does captivating things, and more than this, she should be funny without being slapstick. That's what Becky Cloonan and Michael Conrad did with this first story.

Now, the things that actually do somewhat bother me in this arc is how Diana seems to somewhat enjoy violence, whereas to me what she should enjoy are challenges. In other words, Diana likes to tussle, but once people start getting hurt she should resort to incapacitating instead of fighting, unless it is necessary, and even then no joy should come from it.

But Asgard was over all a weird place for her and it seems like she kind of grew into herself through the story, specially that ending with knocking some sense into Thor and then having a negotiation. It was a fun way to end a war.

Starting the run with a depowered as well as an amnesia Diana wasn't good, at least for me. It's not like the readers don't know who Diana is, but we have to have a 4 issue arc about her finding herself. Also, the Siggy CW character relationship seemed forced upon us too fast. I would have liked for it to spread out even longer since Diana rarely has relationships with men, so it did seem fast for me.
    Diana didn't remember who she was and didn't use her powers, but her personality was actually one of the best aspects of the story right from the beginning, and felt totally refreshing.

As far as Siggy, I would rather have Diana date some trully unusual people instead of the Steve Trevor and Siggy type, but I loved that she found some she enjoyed being with and was able to be with them right away without any uncertainties. I really think that's how Diana should look at life. She forma deep bonds with the people she meets and tries to support from then on, but Diana is never stuck in ine place. She should keep looking for new things to experience and new places to transform.

There is a huge difference between me and slvn. Some of my posts are long, but you can easily double or triple my longest posts and that would give you a typical post from slvn. That and the fact he posted with far more frequency than me.

Funny how the Azz run ended, I have rarely seen a post from him anymore on this board.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Now, the things that actually do somewhat bother me in this arc is how Diana seems to somewhat enjoy violence, whereas to me what she should enjoy are challenges. In other words, Diana likes to tussle, but once people start getting hurt she should resort to incapacitating instead of fighting, unless it is necessary, and even then no joy should come from it.
    I agree with her stance on challenges. I think it works in Asgard though because Asgard is consequence free until Ragnarok: people die bloody deaths, but they are resurrected to do it all over again, and it's the ideal after life for everyone there. That combined with her amnesia works for her rolling with it for a little while, but once things start getting weird (Siegfried vanishing) I like that she starts being all business and resolves things peacefully between Thor and the Valkyries.

There is a huge difference between me and slvn. Some of my posts are long, but you can easily double or triple my longest posts and that would give you a typical post from slvn. That and the fact he posted with far more frequency than me.

Funny how the Azz run ended, I have rarely seen a post from him anymore on this board.
    Slvn probably did the flip side of the posters who disliked the Azzarello run; I don't think they liked Rucka's second run at all, chiefly because it was undoing the Azzarello run and taking shots at it (personally, I feel the shots were deserved). So if they were chiefly an Azz fan, they'd have little reason to stick around.

Long posts aside, I don't recall slvn being that disrespectful though. They just really liked a run that most of the rest of us had issues with. I think there were other posters who were worse.

Lol! I Like you moderating soooooo much more than she who shall not be named.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Slvn probably did the flip side of the posters who disliked the Azzarello run; I don't think they liked Rucka's second run at all, chiefly because it was undoing the Azzarello run and taking shots at it (personally, I feel the shots were deserved). So if they were chiefly an Azz fan, they'd have little reason to stick around.

Long posts aside, I don't recall slvn being that disrespectful though. They just really liked a run that most of the rest of us had issues with. I think there were other posters who were worse.
    I agree that slvn was respectful, but he was infuriating in the sense that he would argue against any point that was made in criticism or threw shade at the Azz series. I think he was even defending the rape/pirate storyline.

He certainly could have earned his Phd in Azzology just based on all the posts he had as both slvn or Silvanus.

I don't have much overall fondness for the Azz run but seems a bit unnecessary to bring up posters who don't even post here that much anymore based off a run from years ago.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I don't have much overall fondness for the Azz run but seems a bit unnecessary to bring up posters who don't even post here that much anymore based off a run from years ago.
    What are you talking about? Pre-Crisis CBR is always relevant to conversations that have nothing to do with it.

There certainly is a turn-and-burn built into the readership, but I do think the arguments past posters have made can be relevant to discussion. There are quite a few voices that have left for whatever reason that I miss hearing from.

Hell, I wonder sometimes which of us is nex

Robanker died returning to his home planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Maybe he can be brought back to the fold!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Robanker died returning to his home planet.
    I shall now take his place. His house, car, parents, wife and his children will be mine! They will learn to respect me as they respected him.