Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Is there an organic way to combine fun, fiesty, and punchy Etta with military hard-ass Etta? If they could, it'd be kinda awesome and the kind of character that really should be in a WW comic.
    I don't like the idea of Etta being in the military, but I'm sure there is a way to do both. But remember, the fun part about Etta is that she is all those things while also being audacious and quirky. She puts herself in front of Diana to protect her, even though Diana is obviously far more powerful and is in no danger, while Etta is. She also has this unique love of her own body and nobody can make her feel insecure about that.
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-09-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Is there any reason from the end of issue 769 to the beginning of this arc in issue 770 that Diana has no memory and she is in Asgard's afterlife (if that is what it can be called)? (I never read issue 769, so I am confused).

Also, based on word of mouth on this messageboard, I went to comixology and bought issues 770-773 and I am not sure where all the praise is coming from for this arc as yet. I now kind of wish I had waited for the trade paperback because I would have received more bang for my buck than the comixology price.

Here are some questions or criticisms I have of this run:

1) As has been mentioned before, she was depowered at the start of the run and I believe it was mentioned that people like Siggy had lost whatever powers they might have had, yet somehow Diana just gains hers with no reasoning why she would when others didn't. The rules the writers set are fairly loose, kind of like the wishstone in WW84.

2) Even if she was depowered, she is still a skilled amazon, probably the best warrior of her kind and hence probably the finest warrior that earth has, yet she gets killed off frequently like she is a rookie. Why would she think she was invulnerable to weapons? She gets shot by bullets, clawed by the Cheetah as well as having taken cuts by swords before, and yet she thinks she is invulnerable? Why have bracelets?

3) Her romance with Siggy! It seems very much out of character for her to be so 'loose' with someone that she just met for a day on the battlefield. Where was the romance, the attraction? Because they were warriors on the battlefield? Then why not any other warrior? I don't have anything against Siggy, but he sure does seem like one of those CW guys that someone mentioned on this board already.

4) Unless something was said in the issues and I missed it, I think only a total of 4-5 days was spent in this afterlife. That seems way to short for a burgeoning romance between Siggy and Diana to culminate in sleeping together. At least the way I see her character. And I am no fan of Steve Trevor by the way.

5) So, was she dead and now somehow alive and gets transported to Olympus/Themyscria?

6) I like the fact that they used Dr. Psycho.

7) If I was looking for action, all I really got was the lackluster fight between her and Thor.

8) This is a better written arc than alot of arcs of recent history but I hope they can show us her power and not 'judiciously' use it like Azz did. They need to remember that they have an unlimited budget with respect to what gets on the printed page.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Is there any reason from the end of issue 769 to the beginning of this arc in issue 770 that Diana has no memory and she is in Asgard's afterlife (if that is what it can be called)? (I never read issue 769, so I am confused).

Also, based on word of mouth on this messageboard, I went to comixology and bought issues 770-773 and I am not sure where all the praise is coming from for this arc as yet. I now kind of wish I had waited for the trade paperback because I would have received more bang for my buck than the comixology price.
    You don't have to read issue #769. That arc doesn't tie into these events at all.

Here are some questions or criticisms I have of this run:

1) As has been mentioned before, she was depowered at the start of the run and I believe it was mentioned that people like Siggy had lost whatever powers they might have had, yet somehow Diana just gains hers with no reasoning why she would when others didn't. The rules the writers set are fairly loose, kind of like the wishstone in WW84.
    I just took it as her powers being linked to her memories so the more she remembered about her life the stronger she got.

2) Even if she was depowered, she is still a skilled amazon, probably the best warrior of her kind and hence probably the finest warrior that earth has, yet she gets killed off frequently like she is a rookie. Why would she think she was invulnerable to weapons? She gets shot by bullets, clawed by the Cheetah as well as having taken cuts by swords before, and yet she thinks she is invulnerable? Why have bracelets?
    Cheetah's got magic claws so I wouldn't lump them in with normal swords/bullets. She became bulletproof(?) in issue #83

3) Her romance with Siggy! It seems very much out of character for her to be so 'loose' with someone that she just met for a day on the battlefield. Where was the romance, the attraction? Because they were warriors on the battlefield? Then why not any other warrior? I don't have anything against Siggy, but he sure does seem like one of those CW guys that someone mentioned on this board already.

4) Unless something was said in the issues and I missed it, I think only a total of 4-5 days was spent in this afterlife. That seems way to short for a burgeoning romance between Siggy and Diana to culminate in sleeping together. At least the way I see her character. And I am no fan of Steve Trevor by the way.
    But was her romance with Steve or Superman any slower? I guess she never had sex with Steve until rather recently. She never had sex in her comic at all until Trevor.

Anyways, In the 2017 movie she tapped Steve pretty fast.

5) So, was she dead and now somehow alive and gets transported to Olympus/Themyscria?
    No, she's still dead. Olympus was where she was supposed to go after she died but she got sent to Asgard instead (for reasons still unknown).

6) I like the fact that they used Dr. Psycho.

7) If I was looking for action, all I really got was the lackluster fight between her and Thor.

8) This is a better written arc than alot of arcs of recent history but I hope they can show us her power and not 'judiciously' use it like Azz did. They need to remember that they have an unlimited budget with respect to what gets on the printed page.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-09-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    You don't have to read issue #769. That arc doesn't tie into these events at all.

I just took it as her powers being linked to her memories so the more she remembered about her life the stronger she got.

Cheetah's got magic claws so I wouldn't lump them in with normal swords/bullets. She became bulletproof(?) in issue #83

But was her romance with Steve or Superman any slower? I guess she never had sex with Steve until rather recently. She never had sex in her comic at all until Trevor.

No, she's still dead. Olympus was where she was supposed to go after she died but she got sent to Asgard instead (for reasons still unknown).
    Yeah, the first person she had sex with was Superman in their comic, the first person in her own was Steve. Three partners in 80 years is an incredibly low body count, so hooking up with Siggy was hardly Diana being "loose". She was with Nemesis for months and she eventually offered him sex but he turned it down because she only did it to placate him after lying to him about being in love. He didn't want pity sex and I don't blame him.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 06-09-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Anyways, In the 2017 movie she tapped Steve pretty fast.

Then Siggy should have been fully powered up since he seeemed to have total recall of his life. I don't buy the excuse that her powers were linked to her memories. Is Superman inherently strong, or would he always have to remember he is strong. Same argument for Diana, the rules that the writers set forth don't make much sense just like the wishstone in the WW84 movie.

Besides Cheetah, Diana has been shot and gotten sliced by swords, so her thinking she was invulnerable is not a good excuse. Besides, in this issue 83 which I don't recall, when was it said she was bulletproof and why didn't other writers get the memo.

True, her romance with Steve Trevor in the 2017 movie was fast which I also felt was out of character, but it did happen.

And again, I would like to know what happened between issue 769 and the start of their arc. 4 issues in should tell us more in my opinion.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Then Siggy should have been fully powered up since he seeemed to have total recall of his life. I don't buy the excuse that her powers were linked to her memories. Is Superman inherently strong, or would he always have to remember he is strong. Same argument for Diana, the rules that the writers set forth don't make much sense just like the wishstone in the WW84 movie.
    Who says Siggy isn't fully powered? Why would he be in a Superman or Wonder Woman class of power to begin with? Are there Norse legends where he flies and displays strength levels of those two?

Stands to reason Superman would be in a similar position as Diana if he was in Asgard without his memories. It's just not relevant because this isn't his title.

And again, I would like to know what happened between issue 769 and the start of their arc. 4 issues in should tell us more in my opinion.
    She's here as a result of the Metal and Infinite Frontier stuff, not 769.

It's also meant to be an ongoing mystery, so there is no rule that the 4 issues need to tell us more than they did. We also already knew from solicits that the Norse chapter is only one part of this larger arc of Diana in the God Sphere,

She was in the wrong afterlife and Siggy wasn't, so it was messing with her. IDK what else to say besides that.

The volume's not done till issue #779 I believe, so we might get more clarity or we might not.

Besides Cheetah, Diana has been shot and gotten sliced by swords, so her thinking she was invulnerable is not a good excuse. Besides, in this issue 83 which I don't recall, when was it said she was bulletproof and why didn't other writers get the memo.

True, her romance with Steve Trevor in the 2017 movie was fast which I also felt was out of character, but it did happen.

Oh, I misread your message, though you wanted to know if issue 769 mattered for this arc.

It's kind of a long story but to trim it down as much as possible, The Batman who Laughs was re-writing and destroying the multiverse and Diana got a power-up so she could warp reality to combat him. She kills him but dies as a result, and the Hands (who create multiverse's) decide to repair the DC universe and have her ascend.

Diana is offered a position on the Quintessence, who are a team of very powerful characters that watch the events of the DC universe. But she turns them down since she doesn't want to watch, she wants to participate, so she leaves and wakes up in Asgard for reasons still unknown.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-09-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Who says Siggy isn't fully powered? Why would he be in a Superman or Wonder Woman class of power to begin with? Are there Norse legends where he flies and displays strength levels of those two?

Stands to reason Superman would be in a similar position as Diana if he was in Asgard without his memories. It's just not relevant because this isn't his title.

It's also meant to be an ongoing mystery, so there is no rule that the 4 issues need to tell us more than they did. We also already knew from solicits that the Norse chapter is only one part of this larger arc of Diana in the God Sphere,
    He also makes reference in the issue of to being able to speak to birds and dialogue suggests he still has it, so seems he still has some powers of whatever he had when alive.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Who knows how powerful the Norse heroes are, but suddenly Siggy was flying I think in the third issue of this arc.

I was just using Superman as an example. Take that for what you will.

And I don't want a decompressed storyline telling us our 'mystery' in what seems like forever. And, I along with probably some other people, don't want to read more storylines with the amazons or Greek Gods gone or dead. This seems to be storyline that every writer has been using as of late.

Who knows how powerful the Norse heroes are, but suddenly Siggy was flying I think in the third issue of this arc.

I was just using Superman as an example. Take that for what you will.

And I don't want a decompressed storyline telling us our 'mystery' in what seems like forever. And, I along with probably some other people, don't want to read more storylines with the amazons or Greek Gods gone or dead. This seems to be storyline that every writer has been using as of late.
    I believe that was because he was essentially just a spirit/ghost by that point.

She was in the wrong afterlife and Siggy wasn't, so it was messing with her. IDK what else to say besides that.

The volume's not done till issue #779 I believe, so we might get more clarity or we might not.

Oh, I misread your message, though you wanted to know if issue 769 mattered for this arc.

It's kind of a long story but to trim it down as much as possible, The Batman who Laughs was re-writing and destroying the multiverse and Diana got a power-up so she could warp reality to combat him. She kills him but dies as a result, and the Hands (who create multiverse's) decide to repair the DC universe and have her ascend.

Diana is offered a position on the Quintessence, who are a team of very powerful characters that watch the events of the DC universe. But she turns them down since she doesn't want to watch, she wants to participate, so she leaves and wakes up in Asgard for reasons still unknown.
    Thanks for the recap

Just as an aside, doesn't it sound ridiculous to refer to Batman as the Batman who Laughs?
    Last edited by BiteTheBullet; 06-09-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks for the recap

Just as an aside, doesn't it sound ridiculous to refer to Batman as the Batman who Laughs?
    100%

(10 Char)

I don't understand why this would affect your enjoyment of the story. It's a fair question, but the drama and the intrigue, abd tge fun, works anyway.

Yes, yep, and yeah.

True, but I didn't exoect to enjoy this story either, and yet I loved it. So I'm optimistic about the next arc, even though it has the over used elements you mentioned