Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Bob Iger selling Disney shares

Disney puts out these kind of announcements every so often about the top brass salary figures and earnings. Like, why? Who cares? "Hi, I'm a rich CEO who has a bunch of shares in Disney, I sold $90 million, but still have some shares, so I'm a slightly LESS rich CEO"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Disney puts out these kind of announcements every so often about the top brass salary figures and earnings. Like, why? Who cares? "Hi, I'm a rich CEO who has a bunch of shares in Disney, I sold $90 million, but still have some shares, so I'm a slightly LESS rich CEO"
    Does it mean I can buy some of those shares?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Does it mean I can buy some of those shares?
    You can buy all the Disney shares you want on the NYSE.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Publicly traded companies have to disclose when investors of influence (generally meaning 5% or more of ownership) or executive officers buy or sell stock in the firm. It's intended to give outside investors a way to look for signs that insiders are running from trouble.

BANNED

I mean, I guess Marvel movies are going to be less profitable without Iron Man/Captain America/Black Panther and you have the pandemic killing box office and Star Wars is waiting on whatever the next idea is so I could see stock taking a slight dip (also, what else is there to buy?), but still seems like a long-term good investment. And I say this as someone who dislikes the Mouse. He might have a million reasons for this though, hard to know.

He still has tons of stock left, probably just cashing out to continue his exit from the company

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You can buy all the Disney shares you want on the NYSE.
    I'll just go talk to my stockbroker!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Publicly traded companies have to disclose when investors of influence (generally meaning 5% or more of ownership) or executive officers buy or sell stock in the firm. It's intended to give outside investors a way to look for signs that insiders are running from trouble.
    Precisely.

People on the board buying large wedges of their own shares (if at full market price rather than some sweetheart deal) is a fairly good sign that’s all’s well and large disposals by board members without apparent explanation is often a bad sign.

Astonishing Member

Actually, he's likely a slightly MORE rich CEO. Aside from the occasional dividend (which tend to be small at most corporations), stocks are worth only what you get for them when you sell them. Before that, they're just pieces of paper. Iger is converting virtual money into actual money.

Stock options are part of his pay. He might have felt his investments were too weighted with Disney stock, so he divested. The market is pretty high now.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I mean, I guess Marvel movies are going to be less profitable without Iron Man/Captain America/Black Panther and you have the pandemic killing box office and Star Wars is waiting on whatever the next idea is so I could see stock taking a slight dip (also, what else is there to buy?), but still seems like a long-term good investment. And I say this as someone who dislikes the Mouse. He might have a million reasons for this though, hard to know.
    He probably wants a multi-million dollar property or yacht or private jet, and needs the cash.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Stock options are part of his pay. He might have felt his investments were too weighted with Disney stock, so he divested. The market is pretty high now.
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    He probably wants a multi-million dollar property or yacht or private jet, and needs the cash.
    Kirby's probably right. He's probably buying something that tends to rise when entertainment stocks fall as insurance.

The internet says his net worth is $650 million. So if he is selling half his stock for around $100 million, that means $200 million or almost a third of his wealth was Disney stock. Way to much to have in one asset.

Astonishing Member

True, the general rule of thumb is not have more than 5-10% of your investments in the company you work for. That’s just not diversified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I'll just go talk to my stockbroker!
    I know you’re joking, but there are a fair amount of low cost options for investing, (though mutual fund are generally better for most people) no stock broker needed.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    True, the general rule of thumb is not have more than 5-10% of your investments in the company you work for. That’s just not diversified.

I know you’re joking, but there are a fair amount of low cost options for investing, (though mutual fund are generally better for most people) no stock broker needed.
    For little people like us, a Stock Index Fund will do as well or better than trying to pick individual stocks.