Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Tom Kings Rorschach *rules*!! (spoilers inside, maybe)

How is this series not a more popular topic of conversation!? I would've expected it to have had 10-20 pages of convo by now!

Issue 9 was amazing, and the entire run is basically golden. I'm loving the untangling of the mystery and the misconceptions most of the main characters have about what really happened in Watchmen.
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Previous thread that really didn't have much love:
    Rorschach #2 Discussion/Spoilers
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ssion-Spoilers

Maybe there's an answer here:
    Is Tom King the most hated writer in comics?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...iter-in-comics

I’ve loved a lot of King’s work but I’m finding this story to be a slog. I got bored halfway through the last issue. Still need to finish it.

I read issue 9 and it picked up steam. Its a bit of a slog but when it hits, it hits.

I’ve been loving this myself, it’s a bit of a slow burn so I figure that’s why many are not discussing but it’s probably the comic I look forward too most these days. I honestly find the mystery gripping and wonder where it’s gonna end up.

It's a very quiet series. Where most superhero comics we read are filled with the events and conflicts, this story here takes the event and brings us through the investigation. This reminds me a lot of the TV Show, The Sinner, where we know who, but a detective digs into why and the why is not as simple as you might think.

There's also the use of comic creators and a blatantly obvious Steve Ditko character. For Tom King, this isn't anythingnw. His Mister Miracle gave considerable time to Funky Flashman and Scott and Barda named their kids Jacob and Roz. The flavor and tone of the uses of creators in the two series are different, though. While Miracle's was gushing praise, Rorschach adds a darker side to Ditko. And I still am not sure about how Frank Miller fits into this.

It is a bit slow but filled with details which I needed to reread. Now, I'm not that sure what the planned result is but I am enjoying the ride considerably.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I read the first two and decided to trade wait for the whole series. It didn't grab me the way King's other books have.

Maybe that's because I'm so wary of anything Watchmen (original series excluded) as its all been garbage.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Does it say anything new about Rorschach?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Does it say anything new about Rorschach?
    It's not about the original character. We follow an unnamed FBI agent tasked with figuring out why someone decided to copycat Rorschach and assisinate a political candidate.

I've been really enjoying the tone of the book, but still don't understand where it's going. I can't quite put together all the different things we've been seeing and what they mean, both thematically and narratively.

After reading the ninth issue, I'm convinced the "talk" between the Kid and the FBI agent is more the method of investigation than anything supernatural. As to the mysterious "you" at the end of issue eight as well as the developments regarding POTUS look like the story is a mystery, but a human level mystery. And then again, the last three issues may have a totally different conclusion.

To be fair, psychics do exist in Watchmen. I'm surprised no one else has picked up on it.

But I guess King might be taking a page from True Detective. Which does have low-key spiritual elements without being outright supernatural.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    To be fair, psychics do exist in Watchmen. I'm surprised no one else has picked up on it.

But I guess King might be taking a page from True Detective. Which does have low-key spiritual elements without being outright supernatural.
    I am certainly open to that possibility of psychics, but I'm still leaning towards human, but exceptional human, abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    After reading the ninth issue, I'm convinced the "talk" between the Kid and the FBI agent is more the method of investigation than anything supernatural. As to the mysterious "you" at the end of issue eight as well as the developments regarding POTUS look like the story is a mystery, but a human level mystery. And then again, the last three issues may have a totally different conclusion.
    I have no doubt he’s imagining that as a detecting strategy.

Also, this series is freaking awesome.