Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Batman Earth One

Well Volume 3 just came out and spoilers:

spoilers:

It takes place a month after the death of Harvey Dent. Criminals have been getting upgraded weaponry like flamethrowers, grenades and rocket launchers terrorizing Gotham.

But Batman has also been upgrading with new capes, new motorcycles and a new Batmobile. Killer Croc has also been an ally, helping him found a new base of operations. The Batcave in the Earth One Universe is the abandoned Arkham Manor subway station. It is below Arkham Manor, and tunnels to an abandoned factory down the road from Wayne manor. The subway station was shut down due to the Arkham’s mental health issues trying to close off the entrances as a way to “ward off evil spirits. This is why Gotham is a maze, either with dead ends or spiraling into each other; the Arkhams was trying to confuse the Ghosts who haunted them.

In His Bruce Wayne identity, He is trying to make the city a safer place for those who call it home by improving it he social and urban infrastructures of Gotham including helping funding the Harvey Dent Home for the Homeless. He still is friends and trust Jessica. She also feels like Batman should also expand his circle of “outsiders”

Alfred is untrusting of Bruce’s new allies, preferring just him and Bruce being the only ones fighting crime in Gotham

Croc overhears about a deal that is gonna be held over at the new Harvey Dent home and finds a new pet which he names Bat Dog

Harvey Bullock is still spiraling downwards while Jim struggles with being Captain of police. Some officers think Gordon is corrupt who uses the Batman to climb the ladder any way he can.

Bruce gets a call that Adrian Arkham, his grandfather, is still alive. At first he is suspicious because his grandfather was shot and killed by his wife before jumping off Arkham manor in front of a young Martha Wayne. But apparently there is proof that suggests it’s actually Adrian.

In the midst of breaking up a weapon’s deal in Harvey’s home, Bruce encounters Selina, who now wears a Cheshire Cat get up and goes by the Cat. She helps Batman only to get away with money from the deal

Batman and Croc interrogates a henchmen from the deal who said it was Harvey who hired him, using information that only Harvey knew

Bruce is visited by his grandfather who is mentally unhinged and looking for Martha, They eventually bond and Adrian reveals he faked his death hoping the Arkham curse wouldn’t get to him too. Alfred doesn’t trust Adrian but Bruce doesn’t want to leave him in Gotham Mental Hospital because of Martha’s history of both trying to shut it down and being a patient there for a brief period of time.

The mystery of Harvey Dent is deepened by Harvey’s grace having no body in it, Jessica getting called by a Harvey’s phone despite it being disconnected and several other hints

Harvey feels like he is given a second chance to condemn the most guilty party of all: Gotham City.
    Batman uses Catwoman by paying her to find out more about Harvey‘s plan.

We find out more about the Arkhams and the curse of Gotham. When the Arkhams were building Gotham, underneath they found bats who attacked them. They believed that it was the evil spirits of the people they driven out and it was the madness that overtakes the Arkhams.

Turns out Martha had a twin brother who died in the womb. The Brother’s name? Bruce. Adrian’s wife believed that Martha killed Bruce because of the Arkham curse. This book tries to delve into how the Arkham curse led to the Batman and whether Bruce is really insane after all

Later it is revealed that Jessica has been riding around with Harvey’s corpse and Two Face is actually Harvey’s personality overtaking Jessica. She’s been working with Adrian to mess with Bruce and destroy Gotham

Killer Croc and Catwoman attempt to prevent the chaos in Gotham from getting worse . She uses Winslow Schott, a weapons dealer from Metropolis to signal the criminals he’s armed to razing Gotham.

Adrian wants to free Bruce from the Gotham madness by setting Arkham manor on fire with him in it.

Alfred contacts Gordon to help Save Batman from Arkham Manor. Jim attempts to make a plea to Bullock to help stop the Arms Deal/save Batman. Harvey can’t go into Arkham manor after the first time he entered that place forcing Gordon to save Batman by himself.

It’s revealed that Bruce’s “grandfather” was a disguise by a man who posed as Preston Payne, Matt Hagen and Basil Karlo. But who’s the Earth One Clayface? He doesn’t even know. Essentially taking New 52 Cheetah and John’s Brainiac and using it on Clayface, merging all takes to make one Clayface combined with the Clayface from the Gotham tv show.

In the aftermath Gotham is in disarray with criminals getting more theatrical and dangerous. Alfred wonders if Gotham can be saved.

But Batman makes a group of Outsiders as an network to help Batman save Gotham (composed of an African American Dick Grayson, Batgirl, Ragman, Bat Dog, Alfred Pennyworth, Killer Croc and Catwoman). Jim Gordon is now named chief of police and Bullock is getting drunk and fighting bartenders.

Bruce creates an Arkham Asylum as a more positive answer to Gotham Mental Hospital with him keeping his promise to visit Jessica every Sunday

Toyman is released by a man who wants to murder a lot of children and pets.

Winslow: “who are you?” (Maybe he’s the clown who killed the Flying Graysons in this take?)

Joker: “I’m nobody.” He looks like a mix of Earth 2 Joker from John’s JSA run and Jeremiah Valeska from the Gotham series finale. Hinting at a volume 4 in the works.
    end of spoilers

Thoughts? Not just on volume 3 but the entire series? Think we might get a volume 4? Will it take 6 years to get here?
    Last edited by ironman2978; 06-08-2021 at 01:20 PM.

About Book 3. One of the very few downsides: it took so damn long for book to come out. I completely forgot what happened in the previous one except Catwoman, Batgirl and Two-Face teasers.
    Well... I enjoyed it more than I've thought I will.
    spoilers:

Chemistry between characters is great. No major plot-twists for me... except Clayface one. That was kinda unexpected. Also not sure what was the point in having Bullock in this book. Just because?... Also- didn't like Catwoman's design AT ALL, it looks too funny. Maybe if it was drawn by someone like Fabok or Jimenez, but it just doesn't work for me.
    On the other hand, the action is pretty cool and some pages deserve to be framed. I really like this different take on Batman. Kinda sad that Batgirl was left as a teaser yet again, but I hope there will be a continuation. Come on, Joker on the last page for a reason!
    end of spoilers

I wouldn't call Batman Earth One a masterpiece, but it's a pretty decent read. 7.5/10.

Well, it definitely sounds like a Batman Earth One book .

Boo I say to

spoilers:
    to the Joker popping up. Best thing about the first two was not a hint of his existence
    end of spoilers.

Gary Frank dropped a teaser on Twitter when someone commented too bad this is the last Batman Earth One. He commented not necessarily.... At one time they had plans for like 6 volumes. And they said they have a unique origin / back story for a certain character, so we shall see. I hope to pick this up soon. All the copies at my LCS were spoken for, he has ordered additional.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Boo I say to

spoilers:
    to the Joker popping up. Best thing about the first two was not a hint of his existence
    end of spoilers.
    spoilers:
    Not so surprising for me after Three Jokers, book which basically serves as a love letter for the character (and Alan Moore ahem ahem). A weird one, but still
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

I have...mixed thoughts overall.

spoilers:
    There's a ton of stuff I liked that continues in this series, like Croc as Batman's unusual partner, and how he later brings the "Bat-Dog" into there. I liked the banter between him and Alfred. Story ideas like the rise of Two-Face, Catwoman, and Bruce's grandfather are interesting overall.

However, most of these stories are pretty rushed. It really felt like Johns was trying to cram all his Vol. 4 ideas here since the Earth One line seems to be dead. Any two stories out of those three would've been fine, but one more was just overkill. As a result, major characters like Alfred and Bullock have pretty much nothing to do. The Batmobile is introduced after being hyped for two volumes, then nothing happens with it. Catwoman's costume makes sense for this version of the character, but it is kind of an eyesore and her characterization isn't really that different anyway.

Jessica as Two-Face had potential, but they tried to be too "realistic" with her, so she barely resembled a Two-Face. Her face is barely scarred and I swear they forgot to draw the scars at certain times. Again, the whole "Adrian Arkham" thing could've been its own volume and tying it into Jessica's plot felt forced. Nice use of Clayface, though. I saw it coming, but I liked the idea of tying in all the other versions together.

The ending works fine, teasing more Two-Face, the Outsiders, Joker, etc., for an "and the adventure continues" ending but you could tell Johns wanted to do more with it. This is the third time we've been teased with the Outsiders after Beware the Batman and Black Lightning without anything else to follow on it.
    end of spoilers

Boo I say to

spoilers:
    end of spoilers.
    spoilers:
    I guess the one nice thing about this likely being the final volume is that the Joker only remains a tease.
    end of spoilers

Boo I say to

spoilers:
    end of spoilers.
    spoilers:
    Hey, it took three volumes and he only appears at the tail end, so that's something...
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

What were the first two Earth One books like? Yet to read them. Thanks for using spoiler tags for the third volume.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    What were the first two Earth One books like? Yet to read them. Thanks for using spoiler tags for the third volume.
    I re-read them to prepare for Vol. 3 and I think they're pretty fun. They're simple, but strong stories that put neat twists on most of the usual Batman characters. While the execution isn't always great (Bruce is a little TOO bumbling), they keep things fresh enough.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    I re-read them to prepare for Vol. 3 and I think they're pretty fun. They're simple, but strong stories that put neat twists on most of the usual Batman characters. While the execution isn't always great (Bruce is a little TOO bumbling), they keep things fresh enough.
    Bruce isn't bumbling he's still learning how to be Batman and Far from Batgod crap. Earth One is great. Can't believe the same guy wrote 3 Jokers

Incredible Member

I liked Brad Anderson’s colors and a lot of the pencils & inks, but not much else. Of course, Gary Frank draws a few standout panels - just seeing Bruce’s eyes shut, behind the eye slits in his mask, is actually pretty novel. Johns and Gary made a big deal early on about how they wanted us to be able to see Batman’s eyes, rather than just the white slits, and I appreciate that. It’s cool to see the emotion in Batman’s eyes and makes for some gorgeous art.

Story-wise, I was left wanting. As usual with Geoff John’s work. All due respect, because the guy is clearly doing something right, but I practically feel the need to wash it down with Morrison’s run. There is something about his stories that feel ...hokey? I’m having a hard time putting my finger on it. I will say one of the twists was extremely predictable and way overdone. It earned a big eye-roll from me. If I had to say something nice about the story, it’d be that I do appreciate the low stakes and a senses that Bruce may actually be in danger.

That said, the tease at the end left me curious. I’m going to pass this book on, with the caveat that if they do release this series in Absolute Edition, I’ll probably pick it up. Some of those Gary Frank panels really are hot.
    Last edited by Johnatellodi; 06-09-2021 at 06:19 AM.

Incredible Member

3 volumes on and this is still my favorite version of Batman in recent times.

While there are certain things I'd change (aesthetically), it's generally a well-told story which has progressed organically since volume 1. Overall, an interesting take on the Bat-Universe/mythos.

I'd love to see more and more volumes but low-key reluctant. The more it expands, the more its susceptible to fall into old habits and implode. Just like the Ultimate Universe...

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    3 volumes on and this is still my favorite version of Batman in recent times.

While there are certain things I'd change (aesthetically), it's generally a well-told story which has progressed organically since volume 1. Overall, an interesting take on the Bat-Universe/mythos.

I'd love to see more and more volumes but low-key reluctant. The more it expands, the more its susceptible to fall into old habits and implode. Just like the Ultimate Universe...
    Yes. Just take your time developing the story and make this series last the next ten years.

Received my copy of Friday. After a couple read thru, I really enjoyed Volume 3 for the most part.

I enjoyed seeing how Bruce / Batman has grown since volume 1.

The interactions between Croc and Alfred are golden. You see Alfred softening a bit towards Croc as the book goes on.

Catwoman I found fun, not sure about her costume design. It had the feel of an outfit a girls roller derby team would wear (sans the mask) It was just silly.

I enjoyed the Adrian Arkham story a lot more than the Harvey / Jessica / Weapons story. They tried to make a mystery of is Harvey alive?, although the end of volume 2 kind for told the direction Jessica / Two face was going. Adrian as the Earth one version of Clay Face was a nice twist though. The weapons / declaring war on Gotham story had some buildup but was over like that.

Why was Harvey Bullock in this book? I guess to show despite him being an alcoholic, he is the one person Gordon could count on?

Overall, very enjoyable. The ending has me intrigued to see if we get a volume 4 or not. Considering this book was originally scheduled to come out in 2018, not sure what the plans were for a follow up Volume 4 currently. I definitely would like to see where Johns would go with that character, considering they have stated in the past to having a unique idea in mind for an origin.
    Last edited by chachi; 06-13-2021 at 08:08 PM.