Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    You may be right. It is a very strange memo from Marvel. Why? Writing 2 and sometimes more issues a month seems very prolific to me. With Non-Stop there are plenty of Adult Peter issues a month. I wonder if this is simply a polite way of removing him from the book due to the unnecessary length and complexity of Kindred?
    But it isn't without precedent.

You may be right. It is a very strange memo from Marvel. Why? Writing 2 and sometimes more issues a month seems very prolific to me. With Non-Stop there are plenty of Adult Peter issues a month. I wonder if this is simply a polite way of removing him from the book due to the unnecessary length and complexity of Kindred?
    It wouldn't necessarily be Marvel pushing a writer out, as much as a writer exiting.

There are other potential explanations. Nick Spencer may have more on his plate with Sinister War coming up soon, or some kind of other assignment that needs his time.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It wouldn't necessarily be Marvel pushing a writer out, as much as a writer exiting.

There are other potential explanations. Nick Spencer may have more on his plate with Sinister War coming up soon, or some kind of other assignment that needs his time.
    Here is the other part of this. Most people would consider Amazing more prestigious then say Hulk or Venom. If Spencer was voluntarily leaving Amazing then why would Ewing ( Venom) or ( especially) Cates ( Hulk) not want Amazing. That combined with the number of plot lines still hanging over Kindred ( not to mention OMD) that should be dealt with ( unless Marvel wants another JMS and Sins Past type of story left uncompleted).

Cates would literally be coming straight off another Spider book - Venom is a Spider-Man sub-franchise. Also, unlike Venom, Spider-Man requires humour because of Spidey's quips in battle. Is that really his strong suit? Hulk, of course, isn't a jokester.

Ewing seems to prefer either horror (like Hulk) or teams (like Avengers and GOTG). I can see why he picked up Venom.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

It also could be Marvel accelerating the schedule so a specific issue/ story/ status quo is on the shelves for the winter movie release
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I don't necessarily buy all the Spencer leaving stuff, but it does feel like his run is accelerating.

I get a strong feeling Peter is going away for a little bit after Sinister War and Kindrid's full assault. Maybe Marvel wants to do the "Peter is back!" in time for Far From Home's release (as they did with ASM2).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Here is the other part of this. Most people would consider Amazing more prestigious then say Hulk or Venom. If Spencer was voluntarily leaving Amazing then why would Ewing ( Venom) or ( especially) Cates ( Hulk) not want Amazing. That combined with the number of plot lines still hanging over Kindred ( not to mention OMD) that should be dealt with ( unless Marvel wants another JMS and Sins Past type of story left uncompleted).
    too many expectations i guess. I mean you can take hulk and venom and do whatever you want with them and it will be generally positive reaction. Spider-man is probably limited in the sense you cant go too crazy with the story or it will be look down upon.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I don't necessarily buy all the Spencer leaving stuff, but it does feel like his run is accelerating.

I get a strong feeling Peter is going away for a little bit after Sinister War and Kindrid's full assault. Maybe Marvel wants to do the "Peter is back!" in time for Far From Home's release (as they did with ASM2).
    Maybe if they have him take a vacation with MJ and Miles take over for an issue of two it would work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    too many expectations i guess. I mean you can take hulk and venom and do whatever you want with them and it will be generally positive reaction. Spider-man is probably limited in the sense you cant go too crazy with the story or it will be look down upon.
    I guess the way I look at it is this: As a professional, I would rather have the challenge of say playing for the Lakers then say the Sacramento Kings ( much higher level of pressure but greater rewards). Same applies to comics. I would rather write Peter and MJ and know that if I mess up I will hear about it for decades then write Archie and Betty romance stories, but if I do well I will never be forgotten about ( unlike who cares about who writes for Archie?).

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I wouldn't read too much into it. Not everyone likes Spider-Man, or wants to write Spider-Man, or thinks they have enough good Spider-Man ideas for a full run on the book.

I guess the way I look at it is this: As a professional, I would rather have the challenge of say playing for the Lakers then say the Sacramento Kings ( much higher level of pressure but greater rewards). Same applies to comics. I would rather write Peter and MJ and know that if I mess up I will hear about it for decades then write Archie and Betty romance stories, but if I do well I will never be forgotten about ( unlike who cares about who writes for Archie?).
    thats a good point i cant how many times i see players play great in lower markets only to not replicate that same success when on a bigger market looking at you Andre Drummond
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

the explanation is that spencer is not that fast and needs co-writers because he's fallen behind the absurd schedule and marvel doesn't care because they want fan dollars and #900 out in time for the amazing fantasy anniversary
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

This might have something to do with it.

The platform ******** hired Nick Spencer as their comics ambassador.

https://www.***************.com/****...fiction-2021-6

* Edit- Wow, a lot of that got ****ed.

Here's a new link. It's an article about Sub-stack at Bus-iness In-sider (adding dashes to avoid ****)
    https://tinyurl.com/y9pvnt8b

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    the explanation is that spencer is not that fast and needs co-writers because he's fallen behind the absurd schedule and marvel doesn't care because they want fan dollars and #900 out in time for the amazing fantasy anniversary
    Do we know this for sure?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

This might have something to do with it.

The platform ******** hired Nick Spencer as their comics ambassador.

https://www.***************.com/****...fiction-2021-6

* Edit- Wow, a lot of that got ****ed.

Here's a new link. It's an article about Sub-stack at Bus-iness In-sider (adding dashes to avoid ****)
    https://tinyurl.com/y9pvnt8b

Do we know this for sure?
    Bleeding Cool is reporting this. Does it mean he is leaving the book? That still remains to be seen

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Cates would literally be coming straight off another Spider book - Venom is a Spider-Man sub-franchise. Also, unlike Venom, Spider-Man requires humour because of Spidey's quips in battle. Is that really his strong suit? Hulk, of course, isn't a jokester.

Ewing seems to prefer either horror (like Hulk) or teams (like Avengers and GOTG). I can see why he picked up Venom.
    Cates does want a run on Amazing. He has stated it a few times. Hence why him taking on Hulk is a sign Spencer might not be done because, if he was, Cates would have likely pushed to be given a shot.