Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Cates does want a run on Amazing. He has stated it a few times. Hence why him taking on Hulk is a sign Spencer might not be done because, if he was, Cates would have likely pushed to be given a shot.
    You don’t really know what the dude wants at this particular point in time, or the other writers who are privately jockeying for a crack at Spidey but not talking about it in interviews, or the back room politics of the Marvel bullpen. There’s been plenty of times a popular writer has wanted to write a flagship character, but for whatever reason Marvel still went in a different direction.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    You don’t really know what the dude wants at this particular point in time, or the other writers who are privately jockeying for a crack at Spidey but not talking about it in interviews, or the back room politics of the Marvel bullpen. There’s been plenty of times a popular writer has wanted to write a flagship character, but for whatever reason Marvel still went in a different direction.
    That's true. But Cates can pretty much write his own ticket over there with the success he had with Venom. The opportunity to have a clean swap between him and Ewing might have also been a factor. Two runs ending and a switcheroo that doesn't necessitate a wholesale rearrangement of the deck chairs.

Can't remember the last time a writer was supposed to get a lengthy run and then editorial went in a different direction. I remember Gillen was supposed to do the relaunched Thor, but they went with Fraction instead.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    the explanation is that spencer is not that fast and needs co-writers because he's fallen behind the absurd schedule and marvel doesn't care because they want fan dollars and #900 out in time for the amazing fantasy anniversary
    That is quite possible. Hadn't thought about the schedule.

If Spencer had kept all these threads in the main book, he'd still be there into the latter half of 2022. Amazing #900 also wouldn't hit until late 2022 as well.

That is likely another factor. This way that issue drops on the anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This might have something to do with it.

The platform ******** hired Nick Spencer as their comics ambassador.

https://www.***************.com/****...fiction-2021-6

* Edit- Wow, a lot of that got ****ed.

Here's a new link. It's an article about Sub-stack at Bus-iness In-sider (adding dashes to avoid ****)
    https://tinyurl.com/y9pvnt8b
    Still can't read it because the site is paywalled - which is probably why linking to it was blocked.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

That's true. But Cates can pretty much write his own ticket over there with the success he had with Venom. The opportunity to have a clean swap between him and Ewing might have also been a factor. Two runs ending and a switcheroo that doesn't necessitate a wholesale rearrangement of the deck chairs.

Can't remember the last time a writer was supposed to get a lengthy run and then editorial went in a different direction. I remember Gillen was supposed to do the relaunched Thor, but they went with Fraction instead.
    I believe Gillen was just supposed to write the Siege tie-ins but ended up doing another arc to give Fraction/Ferry more time to start their run. I’d be very surprised if Gillen, who hadn’t written much at Marvel (maybe only the swiftly canceled SWORD title) would’ve been given one of their top titles over Fraction, who Marvel labeled one of their “architects”—a writer up with Bendis, Brubaker, and Hickman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    I believe Gillen was just supposed to write the Siege tie-ins but ended up doing another arc to give Fraction/Ferry more time to start their run. I’d be very surprised if Gillen, who hadn’t written much at Marvel (maybe only the swiftly canceled SWORD title) would’ve been given one of their top titles over Fraction, who Marvel labeled one of their “architects”—a writer up with Bendis, Brubaker, and Hickman.
    I've been trying to find the interview where it was discussed because, admittedly, my mind is a bit fuzzy on the details (it may have been Fraction or Aaron) but Gillen pitched a run on Thor and editorial nearly went with it. Then there was a late pitch and it was what Marvel was looking for. Might have been the Alonso feature or Cup o' Joe.

If I find it, I'll post it.

BANNED

Much ado about nothing. #68 is very similar to the previous ones, the words are still all Spencer and the plot still runs on Spencer gas (old ongoing threads). Maybe Brisson came up with the Ned twist? In any case, not nearly enough.

Fantastic Member

I've been trying to find the interview where it was discussed because, admittedly, my mind is a bit fuzzy on the details (it may have been Fraction or Aaron) but Gillen pitched a run on Thor and editorial nearly went with it. Then there was a late pitch and it was what Marvel was looking for. Might have been the Alonso feature or Cup o' Joe.

If I find it, I'll post it.
    Gillen might have pitched for Thor during the 2012 Marvel Now! rebranding, when almost all the main books' creative teams were swapping around. (The pitch that would've beaten Gillen's was Aaron's God of Thunder) But Fraction and Ferry were announced and solicited as taking over Thor after Siege, but the issues were resolicited as Gillen/Braithwaite issues.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/rece...d-of-a-gillen/