Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think what throws a monkey wrench in things is the birth of Franklin and Valeria. Now they both are getting to be as tall as their parents. So Reed and Sue became engaged in Fantastic Four #35, got married annual #3 then Franklin is born in annual #6. Marvel kept him at the age of 4 or 5 for a long time to keep everyone from aging to quickly. Valeria, the one that is now in existence, was born in Fantastic Four #54 volume 3. We won't even get into Sue's miscarriage in Byrne's run and how Valeria Von Doom fits in.

These days it does seem like 15 years has to be the sliding time range but soon it will have to increase. The kids seem to be getting older at a faster rate or maybe Marvel just wants to make that one jump and leave them at their current age, whatever that may be, for now.
    15 years appears to be the common period of the Marvel Age of heroes. That is, the FF getting their powers. Regarding Franklin and Valeria Richards, they both spent years away from the 616 Earth and aged at different rates. As far as an accurate metric, they're not really very good. But then again, there really is no official in canon length of time and we seem to be best just going with 15, at least for a while. I do recall 13 was used in the dame unofficial way a few years ago.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Marvel had a sliding timescale where one Marvel year since the debut of the F4 was equal to roughly 4-5 real years as explained in one of their sourcebooks; but it seems that whether it is followed is entirely up to the writer.

Frank and Val are an exception - they, along with the rest of the Future Foundation, aged up five years in the time Ben and Johnny (and the rest of the Marvel Universe) only aged up one.

As for the sliding timescale, it was only actually introduced in the late 60s, characters aged in real time for the first few years (up to Peter's high school graduation at least - he was 15 when he got his powers).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

A good rule of thumb is to ignore any mentions of dates (unless it's a specific real world date. Ex. WWII or 9/11), years (for instance the years on Jean's tombstone don't make any sense anymore), ages (unless it's a character's age when they are introduced. Ex. Peter Parker was 15 when he was bitten, Danny Rand was 19 when he left K'un-Lun) or passages of time (like the eight months after Secret Wars or whatever length it was when Claremont returned to the X-Men for the first time. Just assume a little while, maybe a few days or so, passed).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    As for the sliding timescale, it was only actually introduced in the late 60s, characters aged in real time for the first few years (up to Peter's high school graduation at least - he was 15 when he got his powers).
    This is a bit of a myth. Peter was a high school senior in the Lee/Ditko run when it came out. He was only later retconned to have become Spider-Man at about 15.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    This is a bit of a myth. Peter was a high school senior in the Lee/Ditko run when it came out. He was only later retconned to have become Spider-Man at about 15.
    Or a high school junior, as some of the older comics said or indicated he was 16 when he got bitten by that spider. That said, him being 15 when the spider first bit him was a tidbit from the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, and as Ultimate Marvel got pretty popular pretty quickly in the early-to-mid-2000s, 616 started cribbing certain details from that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Or a high school junior, as some of the older comics said or indicated he was 16 when he got bitten by that spider. That said, him being 15 when the spider first bit him was a tidbit from the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, and as Ultimate Marvel got pretty popular pretty quickly in the early-to-mid-2000s, 616 started cribbing certain details from that.
    Out of curiosity, what is the oldest comic that refers to him as 16?

You're right about Ultimate Spider-Man. I think Bendis was the first to make him 15 at the time of the spider-bite. It's also maybe the youngest you can possibly go with Peter Parker and still have it be believable that he can pass as an adult under that costume. Any younger might not even work for that character's story.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Out of curiosity, what is the oldest comic that refers to him as 16?

You're right about Ultimate Spider-Man. I think Bendis was the first to make him 15 at the time of the spider-bite. It's also maybe the youngest you can possibly go with Peter Parker and still have it be believable that he can pass as an adult under that costume. Any younger might not even work for that character's story.
    I remember it from an early Clone Saga Epic Collection. Maybe Vol. 1 or 2.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think I read something that took place during Civil War that said he was 14 when he got bit. Which is pushing it, IMO. How old would Johnny Storm be? Because if the rocket went up 15 years ago, that would put him in his mid-thirties at this point. Assuming he wasn't a minor at the time the rocket went up.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think I read something that took place during Civil War that said he was 14 when he got bit. Which is pushing it, IMO. How old would Johnny Storm be? Because if the rocket went up 15 years ago, that would put him in his mid-thirties at this point. Assuming he wasn't a minor at the time the rocket went up.
    Civil War said he was 15.

spidermanid2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    He WAS a minor. Johnny is the same age as Peter. Sue was actually his legal guardian, because their parents were dead and she was already in her early 20s.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Most of the original X-Men weirdly feel like they aged at a more rapid rate than Peter and Johnny, even though they debuted around the same time (Iceman is maybe the only exception). I felt this way even prior to OMD and all the attempts to infantilize Spider-Man. Peter and Johnny come off like in their late 20's, maybe 30 tops, while Scott and Jean and Hank sometimes come off like they're in their mid-to-late 30's. I know Peter and Johnny were always supposed to be a bit younger, but they arguably didn't start out that much younger.

Also, I always wondered how old Scott and Jean were supposed to be by the time the love triangle with Wolverine started. I mean, at what point is it "normal" to tell those kinds of stories involving a fully grown man (at least biologically in his 30's) and two characters who started out as teens?
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 06-10-2021 at 08:45 AM.

Astonishing Member

Most of the original X-Men weirdly feel like they aged at a more rapid rate than Peter and Johnny, even though they debuted around the same time (Iceman is maybe the only exception). I felt this way even prior to OMD and all the attempts to infantilize Spider-Man. Peter and Johnny come off like in their late 20's, maybe 30 tops, while Scott and Jean and Hank sometimes come off like they're in their mid-to-late 30's. I know Peter and Johnny were always supposed to be a bit younger, but they arguably didn't start out that much younger.

Also, I always wondered how old Scott and Jean were supposed to be by the time the love triangle with Wolverine started. I mean, at what point is it "normal" to tell those kinds of stories involving a fully grown man (at least biologically in his 30's) and two characters who started out as teens?
    I actually noticed all this, too. For me, anyway, it only really became an issue whenever there'd be a crossover or something and they had Cyclops and Spider-Man in the same room and realizing that they're more or less supposed t be the same age. For a good chunk of time, it seemed like the X-books were in their own little separate universe so it was easier to ignore.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

The X-men are really weird when it comes to ages.

Jubilee was 14 for about a decade before suddenly jumping up 18.
    The original X-men were teens, but more often than not, Cyclops and Jean and written like they're in their 30s, Beast in his 40s, and Iceman just barely in his twenties.
    Xavier has aged in real time.
    Emma Frost has actually gotten considerably younger than when she first appeared.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The X-men are really weird when it comes to ages.

Jubilee was 14 for about a decade before suddenly jumping up 18.
    The original X-men were teens, but more often than not, Cyclops and Jean and written like they're in their 30s, Beast in his 40s, and Iceman just barely in his twenties.
    Xavier has aged in real time.
    Emma Frost has actually gotten considerably younger than when she first appeared.
    The X-men are Exhibit 1A as to how Marvel's Sliding Timescale (MST) is really out of whack. None of them seem to age at the same corresponding rate as their peers in the FF, Avengers, etc. I gave up trying to make sense of it...because it just doesn't make sense. I'm so glad that I follow old guys like Blue Marvel and Namor, whose origin stories are too rooted in actual historical dates to be fudged up by the MST. We can debate how old they should look, but never about the fact that they're old as dirt.