Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

That's pretty much what Discovery is doing with third season forward, I think.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Yeah, moving forward rather than back is always a good policy.
    Exactly. I don't get the obsession with prequels

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    After 2 seasons of trying to shoehorn itself into the ToS era.

BANNED

Discovery did go forward in Season 3, however they still could not escape some aspect that made it clear it was still a prequel cast now in the future. There was an episode Michael learned what had become of Spock in the future. However, one of the few good things about Discovery season 3 is they did make some references to Kelvinverse and that is a confirmation the kelvin timeline is part of the Trek multiverse.

Picard is the only true continuation of Star Trek in terms of moving the series directly forward, even if Paramount + does end up making a Section 31 show, that is still going to be a prequel because it is supposed to be a spin off show with Emperor Georgiou, Ash Tyler and maybe other characters from Star Trek Discovery that were left in the past at the end of season 2.

Could Lower Decks count as a continuation as well? Although it's set before PICARD it's after NEMESIS.

Ultimate Member

Could Lower Decks count as a continuation as well? Although it's set before PICARD it's after NEMESIS.
    Technically yeah

BANNED

I don't think Lower Decks has ever officially said where the time setting is placed and that is a good idea since it fits the aloofness and comedic nature of the show. what Lower decks does is just randomly drop casual references to the events of the entire star trek universe.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I don't think Lower Decks has ever officially said where the time setting is placed and that is a good idea since it fits the aloofness and comedic nature of the show. what Lower decks does is just randomly drop casual references to the events of the entire star trek universe.
    It literally ended with Captain Riker saving the day, and since Riker was never a captain of his own ship before Nemesis then it obviously comes after that.

However, one of the few good things about Discovery season 3 is they did make some references to Kelvinverse and that is a confirmation the kelvin timeline is part of the Trek multiverse.
    That was established in the first movie, as I recall.

It's set between Nemesis and Picard season 1, so, set between 2379 and 2399. (The Wiki says it's specifically set in 2380, and that fits with the surprise cameo at the end and all that).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Yeah, moving forward rather than back is always a good policy.
    Yes. Different subject but, if there are any more Star Wars movies (and Disney did not pay billions to not do any more SW moves), I hope they learn that and move on to something new in that universe rather than remaking the original trilogy again or focusing on the original characters in the past.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes. Different subject but, if there are any more Star Wars movies (and Disney did not pay billions to not do any more SW moves), I hope they learn that and move on to something new in that universe rather than remaking the original trilogy again or focusing on the original characters in the past.
    Yeah, we've had enough planet destroyers.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Start Trek embraced the multiverse in 1967. It's time for every other franchise to abandon the multiverse.
    This was the first thing I thought of.

But yeah, Discovery needs to be in its own Universe. Far too many loopholes to fit in with the Original

As far as SW movies are concerned, the only confirmed one so far is Patty Jenkin's Rogue Squadron, although there's a ton of TV series in development (although one had to be canceled perhaps due to the Gina issue).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^
    Wrong thread. Wrong 'Star' based show discussion.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

There were a few posts about Disney and Star Wars just now, but I'll try to stay more On topic.

One thing I think TOS played around with a bit weren't exactly alternate universes but Parallel Earths I think, in which a planet developed much like our own but at some point deviated. The Miri planet even has the same continental makeup.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...ry_Development

Boisterously Confused

There were a few posts about Disney and Star Wars just now, but I'll try to stay more On topic.

One thing I think TOS played around with a bit weren't exactly alternate universes but Parallel Earths I think, in which a planet developed much like our own but at some point deviated. The Miri planet even has the same continental makeup.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...ry_Development
    Yeah, they really had to lean into that when the studio started squeezing them about budget, and using the available backlots.