Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I mean it wasn't the best thing ever but it wasn't as bad as you keep saying ether....
    I think I said it was bad in two posts in two different threads. But yeah, was as bad as a superhero could be. Beyond the generic story with everyone a cliche. The family was such a stereotype it was cringeworthy. If I was Mexican American, I would not be happy with this, I would be insulted. The incessant "we are a family" was almost a parody. George Lopez looked and sounded like a Cheech and Chong bit.
    As I said, every scene had me saying WTF.
    YMMV
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    If you talking about power levels then no,not in the mcu or comics or more so the current comics.
    Now if you are talking about strength level ,then yes.
    Doctor fate is normally stronger since he has superstrength and doctor strange normally does not have it.
    He is in the comics I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think I said it was bad in two posts in two different threads. But yeah, was as bad as a superhero could be. Beyond the generic story with everyone a cliche. The family was such a stereotype it was cringeworthy. If I was Mexican American, I would not be happy with this, I would be insulted. The incessant "we are a family" was almost a parody. George Lopez looked and sounded like a Cheech and Chong bit.
    YMMV
    That's your opinion but I disagree I think it's far from the worst CBM

Astonishing Member

Having lived in a Latino town for decades and working, playing, studying in that context - I agree it was stereotypical piece. Perhaps Disney was trying to pander with exaggerated ethnicity for folks who don't know those folks. The multicolored neighborhoods, etc. - give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Having lived in a Latino town for decades and working, playing, studying in that context - I agree it was stereotypical piece. Perhaps Disney was trying to pander with exaggerated ethnicity for folks who don't know those folks. The multicolored neighborhoods, etc. - give me a break.
    I am not Latino so I don't know if it's offensive, but I do know that when I saw it, the Latino families that were in the theater with me, were laughing and seemed to have a good time. Everytime they referenced the Telenovelas like Marķa la del Barrio, they hooted and laughed. I saw this in San Diego so there is more than a few Latino families around.
    Last edited by krazijoe; 11-21-2023 at 03:29 PM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

WB made the movie, but they hired a Hispanic writer, director, and cast. They probably trusted that the talent would know and be sensitive to the culture.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    He is in the comics I think.
    Doctor strange and doctor fate are around the same powers levels normally.
    At times in the past doctor strange was more powerful but normal doctor fate i think was abit more powerful.
    Current doctor strange from what i read had a power boost and currently is more powerful then doctor fate.

So a conservative white man is gonna tell Latinos, like myself, what is offensive to Latinos because you’ve “lived among them”. Please sit the f*^% down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    YMMV
    I'm not sure what stereotypes you're referring to - the uncle was a near-genius inventor/engineer who has anti-government paranoia, the grandmother was a former revolutionary in her youth, the sister is ... a teen with slightly dark sensibilities and a bad work ethic. So, a teenager. Jaime's parents weren't much beyond immigrants looking to create a better life for their kid, but I mean that describes my parents. I don't know if that's a Mexican stereotype. The truck playing "la cucaracha" was silly, but I was more surprised they risked reminding people of "Ant-Man." But as you say, ymmv.

Mighty Member

As a Mexican immigrant, I didn't find it stereotypical in any way besides maybe some stuff with Rudy's truck. The dialect and the Spanglish was spot-on, and a lot of the references and in-jokes aren't the usual suspects you see in stereotypical portrayals. It didn't treat Jaime's heritage like an afterthought like a lot of his non-comics interpretations usually do.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

This was not a good movie. I wanted to like it because I like the character, but man this was a hard watch. Every scene with the sister was just painful to watch with how utterly unlikable she was. Most of the family stuff just felt way to over the top. I liked Blue Beetle himself and hope we get to see that actor in the role again, but under much better writers and directors

If Blue Beetle is as bad as it sounds, no wonder it bombed at the box office. Even comic book fans hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    If Blue Beetle is as bad as it sounds, no wonder it bombed at the box office. Even comic book fans hated it.
    Yeah, because normally comic book fans never hate on anything...

You know there are other comments where comic book fans didn't hate it, right?