Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

I really enjoyed the film and it's the only comic film to date that has enticed me to purchase the comics. Also, shout out to the recent posters for pulling this back and focusing on Blue Beetle.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Spoilers obviously.

These Pitch Meetings are consistently funny.

I enjoyed the movie, although I don't have a ton of things to say. It's about time DC did a decent legacy movie (they are more about legacy than Marvel is, and Marvel's Ant-Man movies were all about passing the torch), and Blue Beetle is one of their best bets. Ted's legacy never overshadows Jaime. A sequel with more Ted and the Reach could be epic.

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on who we think Jenny's mother is. Someone mentioned a possibility a few pages back, and I had the same thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I enjoyed the movie, although I don't have a ton of things to say. It's about time DC did a decent legacy movie (they are more about legacy than Marvel is, and Marvel's Ant-Man movies were all about passing the torch), and Blue Beetle is one of their best bets. Ted's legacy never overshadows Jaime. A sequel with more Ted and the Reach could be epic.

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on who we think Jenny's mother is. Someone mentioned a possibility a few pages back, and I had the same thought.
    I feel dumb for not thinking of that. She definitely could have been Beatriz da Costa. Angel Manuel Soto said there were other JLI Easter eggs in the movie. Apparently there are some of Martian Manhunter’s Oreos/Chocos cookies in the Bug ship.

Extraordinary Member

How is this doing these days, will it make its money back? A small profit perhaps? Been a while since I checked, so I'm curious.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    How is this doing these days, will it make its money back? A small profit perhaps? Been a while since I checked, so I'm curious.
    Even with its small budget it's not terribly likely that it breaks even
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Even with its small budget it's not terribly likely that it breaks even
    Aquaman needs to be a success.

Blue Beetle made over $120 million at the box office. It won't be enough to break even, given its $150million budget.

Yeah it's going to be a flop. Another DC movie flop

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Blue Beetle made over $120 million at the box office. It won't be enough to break even, given its $150million budget.

The budget is actually estimated to be around $104 million.

It will finish with around $70 million domestic and $120-125 million total. Not great but it’s to be expected with how things are going with DC/WB.

Looking on the bright side it was originally supposed to be a direct to streaming movie. So any box office profit is far more than it would have made going directly to Max (which would have been nothing). And because of the writers and actors strikes the films stars couldn't promote the movie which means WB didn’t have to pay for appearance fees and a chunk of the usual promotion budget. So the studio saved money there but of course not being able to promote the movie definitely hurt it’s box office.

After Black Adam, Shazam 2, and the disaster that was The Flash there was zero momentum (negative momentum) leading up to this movie about a basically unknown character. It’s a miracle it’s gonna hit $70 million.
    Last edited by Robotman; 09-17-2023 at 11:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post

So, the studio has about $60 million from the movie. Not nearly enough to cover costs. That said, at least it will be less of a flop than some recent releases.

It stands at 119.9 global as of today. Luiz Fernando projects it will end at 135 million. Just ahead of Shazam which made 133.8 globally. It's important BB beat Shazam as it is a much better film.

Cost was 120 million or 104 million depending on whom you believe. Probably somewhere in between. Marketing was 50 - 75 million. So BB will lose money on its theatrical run. If you take lower estimated production/marketing cost 154 million. Total run of 135 million leaves the studio with 67 million for a loss of 80 million plus. Much better than the Flash and Shazam.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    It stands at 119.9 global as of today. Luiz Fernando projects it will end at 135 million. Just ahead of Shazam which made 133.8 globally. It's important BB beat Shazam as it is a much better film.

Cost was 120 million or 104 million depending on whom you believe. Probably somewhere in between. Marketing was 50 - 75 million. So BB will lose money on its theatrical run. If you take lower estimated production/marketing cost 154 million. Total run of 135 million leaves the studio with 67 million for a loss of 80 million plus. Much better than the Flash and Shazam.
    A good argument for lower cost movies; the downside is limited---but still there.

Astonishing Member

Next movie will be the League of Money Losers:

Members: Flash, Blue Beetle, Shazam.

By the way, I said BB would flop and folks said NO - his giant comic fan base would - never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post

By the way, I said BB would flop and folks said NO - his giant comic fan base would - never mind.
    I don't believe the next one will flop actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post

Damn man, why were you so offended by this movie?