Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

It is a generic "Super Hero" movie of a C list super hero that is not really that compelling. It was OK but seemed more of a straight to streaming movie Vs a theatrical release. I found it too long could have been a good 90 minute movie. I debated to watch it or not because it is one of the last movie before the actual James Gunn-verse DC reset really kicks off and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It came in as possibly the lest anticipated of the 10 or so Super Hero movies coming out this year as it made less than Shazam in the opening weekend and even when compared to possibly the worst movie in the genre Morbius it is doing awful.

It was not a horrible movie but not one that I will actively try and rematch. It doesn't really do anything special or stick out it's one of those that you'd watch when there really is noting else to watch.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Without being too spoilery...how was Carapax? I'm kinda curious to see Taza (his character from Mayans) as a full-on villain. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Without being too spoilery...how was Carapax? I'm kinda curious to see Taza (his character from Mayans) as a full-on villain. :P
    He was alright. Trujillo did well with the role, but he was essentially a mid-level villain at about the Crossbones level with a twist of Obadiah Stane in terms of having a similar powerset to the protagonist.

I mainly know Trujillo for being the main villain in Apocalypto. He was a badass in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    It is a generic "Super Hero" movie of a C list super hero that is not really that compelling. It was OK but seemed more of a straight to streaming movie Vs a theatrical release. I found it too long could have been a good 90 minute movie. I debated to watch it or not because it is one of the last movie before the actual James Gunn-verse DC reset really kicks off and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It came in as possibly the lest anticipated of the 10 or so Super Hero movies coming out this year as it made less than Shazam in the opening weekend and even when compared to possibly the worst movie in the genre Morbius it is doing awful.

It was not a horrible movie but not one that I will actively try and rematch. It doesn't really do anything special or stick out it's one of those that you'd watch when there really is noting else to watch.

Morbius had great marketing, but turned out to be a crappy movie. Blue Beetle's the opposite.

As for your vitriol toward this fantastic film adaptation of Jaime Reyes, I am appalled by your venemous words. I am a man of refined taste and I have deemed it to be an excellent film. So much so that I'm going to see it a 2nd time this Saturday with a girl I'm seeing, and I'm also watching it a 3rd time with another girl I'm seeing. On top of that, I pre-ordered the 4K steelbook so I can re-watch it in the highest possible quality at my own abode when the 4K arrives in my mailbox. That's how good this movie is, it has replay value galore. What a breath of fresh air compared to all the schlop the DCEU previously gave us the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Morbius had great marketing, but turned out to be a crappy movie. Blue Beetle's the opposite.

As for your vitriol toward this fantastic film adaptation of Jaime Reyes, I am appalled by your venemous words. I am a man of refined taste and I have deemed it to be an excellent film. So much so that I'm going to see it a 2nd time this Saturday with a girl I'm seeing, and I'm also watching it a 3rd time with another girl I'm seeing. On top of that, I pre-ordered the 4K steelbook so I can re-watch it in the highest possible quality at my own abode when the 4K arrives in my mailbox. That's how good this movie is, it has replay value galore. What a breath of fresh air compared to all the schlop the DCEU previously gave us the past 3 years.
    Blue Beetles marketing wasn't terrible, yeah with the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike the actors couldn't actively promote the film. But with the current trend of actors putting their foot in there mouth that really may not be a negative. As the marketing strategy has not been disclosed to the public I'll only have to go with my own meandering experience with the pre-release of the film. They successfully partnered with Toyota that was also featured heavily in the movie. And there were many spots ran on YouTube which happens to be the most watched "steaming" service along with ads on Facebook. And there was a grass roots hashtag on Twitter or X (somehow Twitter has become prince in the 90s being the platform formally know as). No, Morbius as a character seemed more appealing, vampires are cool. Blue Beatle looked like a bland super hero (he is) so he really created no hype and with no real big names attached to the film even more so.

Vitriol? Didn't say the movie was awful just that it was more of the same when it comes to the genre. It really didn't add anything that was remarkable, it was a throwaway popcorn flic. I really hope that the last part of your post was satire.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

He was alright. Trujillo did well with the role, but he was essentially a mid-level villain at about the Crossbones level with a twist of Obadiah Stane in terms of having a similar powerset to the protagonist.
    Yeah most of the reviews I'm seeing both praise him and say he probably should have been the main/only villain, and that it was Sarandon who seemed wasted/bored.

I mainly know Trujillo for being the main villain in Apocalypto. He was a badass in that one.
    It's been so long since I've seen that movie, I forgot he was in it.

There’s a lot of Easter eggs in Blue Beetle but it seem like a lot of people missed a big one. Just curious how many who watched it picked up on a the rather major plot point that was extremely don’t blink or you’ll miss it.

In the opening sequence as the scarabs are flying through space (multi-colored scarabs. nice!) Khaji Da gets hit with a green bean of light. Soto confirmed that that was indeed a Green Lantern trying to stop it. Which I’m guessing is the reason why the scarab malfunctioned.

“At the beginning of the title sequence, for those of you guys that follow the Blue Beetle comics, there's a green light that hits this character, and that's a Green Lantern. If you didn’t catch it, watch it again. Also, in the bug layer, and you see it also at the end, there's a stack of Oreos, and who likes to eat Oreos?”

Hey, J’onn eats Chocos. Get it right Soto!
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-22-2023 at 06:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    There’s a lot of Easter eggs in Blue Beetle but it seem like a lot of people missed a big one. Just curious how many who watched it picked up on a the rather major plot point that was extremely don’t blink or you’ll miss it.

In the opening sequence as the scarabs are flying through space (multi-colored scarabs. nice!) Khaji Da gets hit with a green bean of light. Soto confirmed that that was indeed a Green Lantern trying to stop it. Which I’m guessing is the reason why the scarab malfunctioned.

“At the beginning of the title sequence, for those of you guys that follow the Blue Beetle comics, there's a green light that hits this character, and that's a Green Lantern. If you didn’t catch it, watch it again. Also, in the bug layer, and you see it also at the end, there's a stack of Oreos, and who likes to eat Oreos?”

Hey, J’onn eats Chocos. Get it right Soto!
    Definitely missed it.

But I thought the opening sequence was great, it reminded me of Godzilla vs Kong, and that had footage from actual previous movies.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Hear, hear! Too bad that you're only seeing two girls, otherwise you could really drive up the box office.

You've inspired me to pre-order a ton of copies of the 4k steelbook to give out as a Christmas gift. Won't my friends and family be surprised and delighted!

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Hear, hear! Too bad that you're only seeing two girls, otherwise you could really drive up the box office.

You've inspired me to pre-order a ton of copies of the 4k steelbook to give out as a Christmas gift. Won't my friends and family be surprised and delighted!
    Where can I order the 4k steel book?🤔

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'd think it will be at least 30-45 days before they announce that, IF they decide to give it that treatment in physical media at all.
    It will likely be at least a few weeks after they announce where it will be available to Rent/Purchase on a Streamer platform.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Are the box office numbers in hit, mediocre, flop, let's keep this guy around or let him fade range?

Extraordinary Member

You know, it occurred to me that they missed a bet to make it actually a bit more interesting. They have the actress who played the pretty young woman Arnold and his crew capture in Predator...or at least that's what I've heard, I did not recognize her. But if so, why not have her play that character years later? Why not have Jaime's bad guy be some Predators? Why not have Arnold show up for a small part as Dutch, there to supply exposition? Or have the scarab, (not even going to try to spell the name), relate it's own experiences with them?

That might have worked.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    You know, it occurred to me that they missed a bet to make it actually a bit more interesting. They have the actress who played the pretty young woman Arnold and his crew capture in Predator...or at least that's what I've heard, I did not recognize her. But if so, why not have her play that character years later? Why not have Jaime's bad guy be some Predators? Why not have Arnold show up for a small part as Dutch, there to supply exposition? Or have the scarab, (not even going to try to spell the name), relate it's own experiences with them?

That might have worked.
    ...because DC and WB don't own Predator?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...because DC and WB don't own Predator?
    Buy it, Disney is having a fire sale, everything must go. Selling a franchise is a bit less than they'd probably thought, but it still is money, and they need a LOT of that, far more than they have, for the beginning of next year when they must buy Hulu. Might as well buy Aliens too, since they could use that for a slightly different vibe with an appropriate superhero from their catalog.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Buy it, Disney is having a fire sale, everything must go. Selling a franchise is a bit less than they'd probably thought, but it still is money, and they need a LOT of that, far more than they have, for the beginning of next year when they must buy Hulu. Might as well buy Aliens too, since they could use that for a slightly different vibe with an appropriate superhero from their catalog.
    They're not having a fire sale though...they're consistently either the #1 or #2 studio year in and year out.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!