Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    At least it might have a theater level budget
    Kind of what I meant by them being serious about making it look good - these streaming sites are putting in theatrical level budgets in the CGI and effects.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Kind of what I meant by them being serious about making it look good - these streaming sites are putting in theatrical level budgets in the CGI and effects.
    Yeah, so i think it's possible this might be just as good as a theatrical release

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Society is in a new era for movies. Being a made for stream movie is not like saying "made for TV movie" even 10 years ago.
    Movies do better going straight to streaming then trying to go to the cinema or charge extra. E.g. Soul and Army of the Dead vs Raya andTenet
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    So because Jaime is brown skinned it means he only got a movie because of tokenism?

See, that argument can be made both ways.
    I think Jaime got a movie because he's more well-known outside of comics and appeals to people who want a young Hero.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It was robotman who was saying stuff like that not me I would love Jaime to have a movie I just prefer Ted.
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to attack you because you like Ted. That's just your preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    So because Jaime is brown skinned it means he only got a movie because of tokenism?

See, that argument can be made both ways.

I just don't think people realize how insane the lack of Latino characters in pop culture really is. I can count the number of movies with Hispanic/Latino leads over the past 30 years on just one hand. That's mind blowing considering Hispanic/Latinos make up almost 20% of the US population and contribute a **** ton of money to movie theaters and the box office. Jezus, what's the one ethnicity that still doesn't have a Disney princess?!?

Jaime getting a movie isn't just about "hey one of my favorite characters is getting a movie". It's culturally significant to a large number of people.

So yeah it is kind of tokenism but that's more about DC and Marvel not having a lot of Hispanic characters to choose from. That's something that should be brought up with the people in charge of those companies.

From John Rogers' (co-creator of Jaime Reyes) Twitter when asked what that nicest/coolest/friendliest/most touching thing a viewer/reader/player/consumer/fan/stranger has ever done or said in response to or in support of his work:

Right, we're at SDCC, first time I even met @rafaalbuquerque face to face after working on BLUE BEETLE together for a year. We're doing a signing, one of my first A Hispanic kid comes up, maybe 10, blows right by me to get Rafael's sketch and autograph, because he's 10 and writers don't mean **** to him. But, bemused, I look at the young dad, a guy about my age and he's crying. Silently, sure, but his face is just soaked. I ask, "Hey, man, are you okay?" And he says "... I just never thought he'd have a superhero who looked like him." Now let's get this straight -- it was Keith Giffen's decision to have Jaime be of Mexican-American descent. I went along with it, I liked the choice but put zero thought into it. Just tooled along, bulled through the fan backlash. But that moment, as a white guy, it just fucking punched me. Sure, I was a good liberal, blah, blah, but I'd never seen the real power of representation, up close, like that before...

https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/958200801297444864
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-13-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

From John Rogers' (co-creator of Jaime Reyes) Twitter when asked what that nicest/coolest/friendliest/most touching thing a viewer/reader/player/consumer/fan/stranger has ever done or said in response to or in support of his work:

Right, we're at SDCC, first time I even met @rafaalbuquerque face to face after working on BLUE BEETLE together for a year. We're doing a signing, one of my first A Hispanic kid comes up, maybe 10, blows right by me to get Rafael's sketch and autograph, because he's 10 and writers don't mean **** to him. But, bemused, I look at the young dad, a guy about my age and he's crying. Silently, sure, but his face is just soaked. I ask, "Hey, man, are you okay?" And he says "... I just never thought he'd have a superhero who looked like him." Now let's get this straight -- it was Keith Giffen's decision to have Jaime be of Mexican-American descent. I went along with it, I liked the choice but put zero thought into it. Just tooled along, bulled through the fan backlash. But that moment, as a white guy, it just fucking punched me. Sure, I was a good liberal, blah, blah, but I'd never seen the real power of representation, up close, like that before...

https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/958200801297444864
    And the thing is....

That is how a lot of black folks felt when Black Panther came out.

Same with Static.

And probably same with Shang Chi.

What folks don't understand is the behind scenes stuff that happens. How many POC lead films/comics got tossed aside because SOMEONE had an issue with the lead's race?

Remember Static Shock was suppose to be about a WHITE kid if the WB had their way. Marvel had to REMOVE someone to get Black Panther made.

Extraordinary Member

I just don't think people realize how insane the lack of Latino characters in pop culture really is. I can count the number of movies with Hispanic/Latino leads over the past 30 years on just one hand. That's mind blowing considering Hispanic/Latinos make up almost 20% of the US population and contribute a **** ton of money to movie theaters and the box office.

So yeah it is kind of tokenism but that's more about DC and Marvel not having a lot of Hispanic characters to choose from. That's something that should be brought up with the people in charge of those companies.
    Blue beetle is a different character then ted and has own powers and will be the main hero in his own movie etc..etc..so it' not tokenism. Plus there are other latinos in main roles in dceu and the upcoming green lantern hbo max show.
    Most likely it will connected to dceu and jessica cruz may show up in a green lantern movie.

Keep in mind most of that 20% of latinos are white latinos in america,so alot poc latinos and other poc folks from what i see don't want that type of representation most of the time.

In other words true representation for latinos will be showing most as white in comics, live action and cartoons.
    Another reason i bring this up because i have been on forums that will have white latino americans and some will say they need to see more white latino representation in comics,live action,cartoons etc.. and they are the true latinos/hispanics because of spain etc..
    You get the idea.

They see most latinos in comics for example as poc and well representated but white latinos are not and that's not fair or right.
    I bring this up because some folks are not aware of this.
    There are some who believe brown latinos(jessica cruz etc..) are really white as well(of course they are wrong).
    You saw me debate a poster who believe that in the green lantern john stewart thread.

The have been alot of Hispanic/latino characters created overtime but now more are showing up in live action tv and movies and cartoons overtime.
    A number of other latinos could be the main lead as well.
    If pennyworth could work for live action in the main lead role then vibe,sideways,fire from dc and white tiger/s,america chavez and even goldballs from marvel could.

Note-
    Hispanic and Latino Americans
    18.4% of the total U.S. population (2019)
    Last edited by mace11; 06-14-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Another thing to keep in mind is Latinos have been own media. The need to be represented is likely not as strong when they have their own outlets to turn to. The amount of Spanish speaking channels and programs are staggering.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is Latinos have been own media. The need to be represented is likely not as strong when they have their own outlets to turn to. The amount of Spanish speaking channels and programs are staggering.
    Are those channels diverse? Because I've heard a lot about how Latin American television is also racist.

Extraordinary Member

Wonder how many ppl here saw In The Heights...
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 06-14-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Are those channels diverse? Because I've heard a lot about how Latin American television is also racist.
    Yes those channels are diverse and some give you a variety of representation.

Now to your other point-it depends on the show in question.

I do watch a lot of Latin American shows-

I have seen a large number of slavery related shows like The White Slave (now on Netflix). I would advise NOT looking at the dvd covers. Always A Witch is another one.

I would not call them racist. I think it is more of you are looking at another culture from a USA view point. Some of those shows would prove that racism in the USA is minor compared to other places.

With those channels-I would not care if the USA ever did a Hispanic/Latino movie or show-I got too many networks that are filling that demand. Same with Asians.

Sad thing with our black networks is they want to do one set of stories.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I never heard of the movie until now and don't have HBO Max.

Also I don't go to movie theaters that often.

Here are the movies I have seen since 2009-2020.

Feel Da Noise, Dope, Star Trek Beyond, Creed, Fruitville Station, Fantastic Four, Black Panther and Into the Spiderverse.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Edit: too slow'd by skyvolt

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I never heard of the movie until now and don't have HBO Max.

Also I don't go to movie theaters that often.

Here are the movies I have seen since 2009-2020.

Feel Da Noise, Dope, Star Trek Beyond, Creed, Fruitville Station, Fantastic Four, Black Panther and Into the Spiderverse.
    I haven't seen Fruitville,Dope or Noise yet. I only saw the first 15min preview of Heights it did seem kinda silly. But it's being reported it's not doing well. Wonder if studios will use that as an excuse to say Latino led movies don't do well. Even though Wilmer would probably make a decent Blue Beetle.

Ultimate Member

I'm not a huge musicals guy. Is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yes those channels are diverse and some give you a variety of representation.

Now to your other point-it depends on the show in question.

I do watch a lot of Latin American shows-

I have seen a large number of slavery related shows like The White Slave (now on Netflix). I would advise NOT looking at the dvd covers. Always A Witch is another one.

I would not call them racist. I think it is more of you are looking at another culture from a USA view point. Some of those shows would prove that racism in the USA is minor compared to other places.

With those channels-I would not care if the USA ever did a Hispanic/Latino movie or show-I got too many networks that are filling that demand. Same with Asians.

Sad thing with our black networks is they want to do one set of stories.
    OK. Because I've heard a lot of Latino networks mostly show White people, and PoC are left out. But I don't watch those networks much

Idk if all that media really helps Latino people in Hollywood, which is the major problem here

I haven't seen Fruitville,Dope or Noise yet. I only saw the first 15min preview of Heights it did seem kinda silly. But it's being reported it's not doing well. Wonder if studios will use that as an excuse to say Latino led movies don't do well. Even though Wilmer would probably make a decent Blue Beetle.
    Any excuse will justify their prejudice. As if musicals of any background are popular now.