Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Looks good.

This version of Blue Beetle is definitely derivative of Spider-Man in some ways, but there is enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. Especially loves seeing the Beetle Bug -- or Beetlemobile or whatever they call it. I don't know why DC has had trouble with a Jaime BB ongoing. Probably stems from issues with DC continuity changes and the creative teams chosen -- because the concept is pretty sound.
    If this is good maybe it will make BB a A lister. That is what these movies should do if done well enough.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Trailer looked fun.
    That Beetle-mobile is from Ted Kord though so I'm curious what the in-story explanation for it will be.

I've only read a scattering of Jaime but his story feels like it is one part Peter Parker given an Iron Man-esque armor. Which was/has been derivative since Parker. Nova, Speedball, Dark Hawk, Danny Ketch even to some extent, Green Lantern, Firestorm among others were power just seemingly falls into their lap with some backstory created later.

I'll check it out. I mean, hey I saw Shazam 2 I'm not fatigued.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Family riding in a robot beetle, choice of music, and constant jokes. I feel the target audience is a younger age gap and meant to be a family movie.

This particular 44 year old kid felt 'nothing' watching this. Not saying its bad, but just no personal interest.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 08-16-2023 at 03:27 PM.

Yeah, I was hoping something about this movie might pique my interest.

Nada.

Astonishing Member

Trailer looks interesting but the character is an unknown for most. I suspect at best a modest hit as the current DC film universe ends. Why do this character? Trying to break out of the big white guy, pretty white gal mode of heroes? Naomi was an attempt but sadly that show just stunk in terms of plot and acting.

Hope it makes some money. But we won't see him again.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Post Deleted
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 04-03-2023 at 07:26 PM.

Trailer gives me huge spider-man vibes (with the female ai talking to him also) and his family gives me huge ms marvel vibes. You know people will compare the helmet shots to iron man.

Not going to lie. This looks like it could be fun. Nice to see the beetle ship and cave and the ww2 and 2nd beetle costumes. Some didn't like the trailer, but it does look fun to me from it. Nothing big but could be a nice "matinee" saturday.

As for him not known by people--men in black, mask, crow, blade, big hero 6, gotg, ant-man say hi.

That first trailer did nothing to make me want to go out to see it.(I do watch 99% of movies at home though) I got strong Ms Marvel/ Shazam vibes with the lighter tone, young hero and focus on family. The costume looks awesome and the CG looks good so far though. As successful as Spider-Man is, did writers forget that this "teen superhero" story had a really dark hero's journey? It's maybe the best superhero origin ever, but movies in general don't seem willing to make their kid hero start out as a not so great person who makes a fatal mistake to learn a lesson. Hopefully it has more substance than the first trailer is showing.

I also hope the next trailer gives us more story. So far, what do we know he's up against? Susan Sarandon wants to take the Scarab back - that seems to be it. Also, who's Jaime? Generic kid so far. Hope there's more to him, otherwise it'll just be another joke-heavy, forgettable superhero film.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The best thing to make this a "hit" film would be for Gunn to announce that this is the 1st part of Gods and Monsters. That this film kicks off his DC Universe. He needs to do it asap if he wants this one to have a chance.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That first trailer did nothing to make me want to go out to see it.(I do watch 99% of movies at home though) I got strong Ms Marvel/ Shazam vibes with the lighter tone, young hero and focus on family. The costume looks awesome and the CG looks good so far though. As successful as Spider-Man is, did writers forget that this "teen superhero" story had a really dark hero's journey? It's maybe the best superhero origin ever, but movies in general don't seem willing to make their kid hero start out as a not so great person who makes a fatal mistake to learn a lesson. Hopefully it has more substance than the first trailer is showing.

I also hope the next trailer gives us more story. So far, what do we know he's up against? Susan Sarandon wants to take the Scarab back - that seems to be it. Also, who's Jaime? Generic kid so far. Hope there's more to him, otherwise it'll just be another joke-heavy, forgettable superhero film.
    I think losing sight of his origins ended up hurting Peter Parker but I don't think every teen hero needs to have that and it's refreshing to have one with a strong familial support system.

Jaime is a really relateable and likeable guy with aspirations and love for his family that ends up being the right choice to get locked into an alien supersuit .

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    If this is good maybe it will make BB a A lister. That is what these movies should do if done well enough.
    Yup he will out draw and out perform Peter Parker if so.

Extraordinary Member

Kinda reminds me of that Power Ranger movie that came out awhile back.

I like it. Sure nothing about the trailer made me think it'd be some super stellar film to crack my top ten superhero movie list - but it didn't need to. It just needs to be a fun enjoyable movie, and this looks exactly like what I was hoping for, just a plain old good time. Looking forward to it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The best thing to make this a "hit" film would be for Gunn to announce that this is the 1st part of Gods and Monsters. That this film kicks off his DC Universe. He needs to do it asap if he wants this one to have a chance.
    That's not going to happen because it simply isn't true. He'll sell it as best he can, but it was not developed under his watch.

Astonishing Member

Teenager in a supersuit runs around in an origin story. Family dynamics abound. How to control powers! Character no one has heard of. Quips galore.

FLOP!!!