Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Sorry, but he is unknown to the general public, the sorts WB need to come out and buy seats.
    Agreed. Blade was also unknown to the general public, when the Wesley Snipes film came out in theaters. But the box office success is due to Wesley Snipes' rising star power.

Aside from Cobra Kai which I watched, I don't know much about the actor who is playing Blue Beetle. How many people are familiar with the Blue Beetle actor?
    Last edited by Zauriel; 07-23-2023 at 04:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Agreed. Blade was also unknown to the general public, when the Wesley Snipes film came out in theaters. But the box office success is due to Wesley Snipes' rising star power.

Aside from Cobra Kai which I watched, I don't know much about the actor who is playing Blue Beetle. How many people are familiar with the Blue Beetle actor?
    AFAIK, that's pretty much what people will know him from. I mean the guy's got credits, but nothing most people will ever have seen. He seems to be a decent actor, but just not up to say RDJ standard. He's not going to charm Beetle into people's hearts like RDJ did with Tony Stark. And his movie seems to be fine, but bog standard in a field where that's been done a hundred times.

Astonishing Member

The Actors can't even promote the film because of the strike. And they desperately needed to see the faces of these guys as part of marketing. They will have a tough road ahead keeping this release date with no ability to use the actors to promote at all. They can't even do premiere appearances and get even that exposure.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Bro chill out he us basically right the average person on the street has no clue who BB is also Blade only had 1 tv show.
    I think he also had a short cartoon series.

And the Blade live action series lasted for only 13 episodes that's hardly an example for success.

With a more obscure character like Blue Beetle you need some catch to get the general audience interested, and I don't think that this movie has that (unfortunatly).

CBR article with the director: https://www.cbr.com/blue-beetle-dire...-blockbusters/

Nothing said there makes me want to see the movie. I prefer a world-saving adventure (heck, even just saving the city) rather than something "grounded and relatable" in my super-hero movie.(maybe 10% relatable, 90% take me outside of my world, please) Between this and the first trailer (I'll avoid the others since I will likely see it when it hits streaming), this is a pass for me unless there's great word of mouth once it opens.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    CBR article with the director: https://www.cbr.com/blue-beetle-dire...-blockbusters/

Nothing said there makes me want to see the movie. I prefer a world-saving adventure (heck, even just saving the city) rather than something "grounded and relatable" in my super-hero movie.(maybe 10% relatable, 90% take me outside of my world, please) Between this and the first trailer (I'll avoid the others since I will likely see it when it hits streaming), this is a pass for me unless there's great word of mouth once it opens.
    Kind of the opposite myself - save the world/city stuff is so overdone, it's 99.99% of all superhero movies. To me "grounded and relatable" means "personal" and those usually hit harder, like the animated Under the Red Hood or Deadpool. I prefer smaller but more personal stakes over the world saving stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Kind of the opposite myself - save the world/city stuff is so overdone, it's 99.99% of all superhero movies. To me "grounded and relatable" means "personal" and those usually hit harder, like the animated Under the Red Hood or Deadpool. I prefer smaller but more personal stakes over the world saving stuff.
    Like anything else, a good balance is usually the way to go. I definitely would want personal stakes attached to saving the city/world, but the director saying they won't be doing that at all dampens my enthusiasm. But like I say, it's all about execution so if they do a great job, I will gladly reconsider.

As long as there's no skybeam.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Like anything else, a good balance is usually the way to go. I definitely would want personal stakes attached to saving the city/world, but the director saying they won't be doing that at all dampens my enthusiasm. But like I say, it's all about execution so if they do a great job, I will gladly reconsider.
    Agreed with balance - and the 1 film out of 10 that doesn't have that at all in it goes a little way to addressing the imbalance we have now. Again, name 3 big budget superhero films that don't have world/city in peril needs saving plots outside Logan, Deadpool, and Kick-Ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Agreed with balance - and the 1 film out of 10 that doesn't have that at all in it goes a little way to addressing the imbalance we have now. Again, name 3 big budget superhero films that don't have world/city in peril needs saving plots outside Logan, Deadpool, and Kick-Ass.
    Ant-Man 1 and 2? I'm not sure if the entire city was in danger in either film.

Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ant-Man 1 and 2? I'm not sure if the entire city was in danger in either film.

Spider-Man: Homecoming.
    Far From Home, too, right? It was all Mysterio's plan to get back at both Stark and Stark's protege Peter.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

I am all for smaller, more intimate and personal stakes for super hero movies. I mean, post Endgame, how much bigger can you go stake wise...you literally can't.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    I am all for smaller, more intimate and personal stakes for super hero movies. I mean, post Endgame, how much bigger can you go stake wise...you literally can't.
    Me too. I would've loved a smaller Ant-Man and the Wasp 2. I also thought that the weakest part of Ms Marvel was the Clan Destine and their plot that would wipe out two realities or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Far From Home, too, right? It was all Mysterio's plan to get back at both Stark and Stark's protege Peter.
    True, but Mysterio was also basically committing a terrorist attack with those drones and almost killed a bunch of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Me too. I would've loved a smaller Ant-Man and the Wasp 2. I also thought that the weakest part of Ms Marvel was the Clan Destine and their plot that would wipe out two realities or whatever.
    I don't think Clan Destine or even Damage Control really fit the character. They never used any of her actual villains.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As long as there's no skybeam.
    Lol! Haven't they moved on from that though? What's the new or next skybeam?

It's all a bit sad, though. Blue Beetle doesn't look like a terrible movie; it looks...average. If it had been released maybe seven to ten years ago, it might have found enough of an audience to become a minor hit, or at least to make some money. As it is now though, I think its moment has passed.
    Last edited by achilles; 07-27-2023 at 02:04 PM.