Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I'm not a huge musicals guy. Is it any good?

OK. Because I've heard a lot of Latino networks mostly show White people, and PoC are left out. But I don't watch those networks much

Idk if all that media really helps Latino people in Hollywood, which is the major problem here

Any excuse will justify their prejudice. As if musicals of any background are popular now.
    I haven't watched Heights yet. From what I saw it did seem unintentionally funny. Not really a good sign for what I think is supposed to be a drama of some sort. But yeah any excuse is right.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I'm not a huge musicals guy. Is it any good?

OK. Because I've heard a lot of Latino networks mostly show White people, and PoC are left out. But I don't watch those networks much

Idk if all that media really helps Latino people in Hollywood, which is the major problem here

Any excuse will justify their prejudice. As if musicals of any background are popular now.
    I grew up on those networks as that's what my parents watch. There is plenty of diversity there. Those networks are the only place I ever see dark skin Hispanics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I haven't watched Heights yet. From what I saw it did seem unintentionally funny. Not really a good sign for what I think is supposed to be a drama of some sort. But yeah any excuse is right.
    Idk if I'll even watch this movie. It looks corny.

For some reason these corporate executives can't look to all the flops starring generic White male protagonists and say "Lack of diversity doesn't sell." Yet the reverse is somehow true to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I grew up on those networks as that's what my parents watch. There is plenty of diversity there. Those networks are the only place I ever see dark skin Hispanics.
    Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Wonder how many ppl here saw In The Heights...
    I did not - but then, I don't watch musicals outside of Blues Brothers, Grease, and Disney pictures. It's just not a genre that interests me much, so I only watch the ones I grew up with rather than try out new ones. Pretty much for new films I only watch superhero, sci-fi, horror, mystery, kaiju/monster, and action stuff - with the occasional western. So basically DC/Marvel/superhero, Star Wars/Robocop, Halloween/Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street/slasher, Sherlock Holmes, Godzilla/Kong/Dracula/Frankenstein, James Bond/Indiana Jones/John Wick, etc. Nerd through and through.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I hate to say it, but until recently (say 3-4 years ago maybe) I didn't even know that light or dark skinned Hispanics were a thing, I had always assumed it was just one racial/ethnic homogeneous group, like white people and black people. I also used to have the same notion of Asian people, but learned that's wrong. Chances are you can probably break up white people and black people into more diverse groupings as well. I guess there's always been a tendency in the US to over simplify race and ethnicity and culture that we're only now breaking away with. It's more complicated, but also more enriching.

Ultimate Member

The problem is the term Latino lumps together distinct ethnic groups of different geographical origin, unlike White and Black. Asian also does that to some extent

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I hate to say it, but until recently (say 3-4 years ago maybe) I didn't even know that light or dark skinned Hispanics were a thing, I had always assumed it was just one racial/ethnic homogeneous group, like white people and black people. I also used to have the same notion of Asian people, but learned that's wrong. Chances are you can probably break up white people and black people into more diverse groupings as well. I guess there's always been a tendency in the US to over simplify race and ethnicity and culture that we're only now breaking away with. It's more complicated, but also more enriching.
    Don't feel bad it's an easy mistake if you don't see it that often.

Also we have had cases where those dark skinned Hispanics get cast in shows as black folks here.

Look up Arlen Escarpeta. I think every role he has played has been a black person (even as Bobby Brown) and he's from Belize.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It's something I see often. I'm a dark skin Dominican. I'm often believed to be black or west Indian when I grow out my hair. My sister looks the part more than I do.

Apparently “In the Heights” is getting criticism for its lack of Afro Latino representation.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Apparently “In the Heights” is getting criticism for its lack of Afro Latino representation.
    Hollywood does seem to not realize one can be Black and Latino at the same time, at least from what I've seen

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Sounds like the right call to me for Jaime!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

I can't recall, is this supposed to get big screen treatment or is it straight to HBO Max?
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Last report a few weeks back was exclusive to HBO Max.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    I can't recall, is this supposed to get big screen treatment or is it straight to HBO Max?
    Blue Beetle, Static, and Batgirl are all going to be HBO Max. It’s a bummer but hopefully if the first flick is considered successful, the sequels could get theatrical runs.

With Blue Beetle’s armor design and morphing powers, I think a movie is the best option. He’s a character that wouldn’t work with a CW budget. The armor looked pretty crappy when he appeared on Smallville.

Xolo is such a great choice. He was basically playing Jaime on the first season on Cobra Kai. I’m just excited that there is FINALLY going to be a superhero movie with a Latino lead.