Page 75 of 77 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1144

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Avengers Academy, The initiative, strange academy work as homes for characters in limbo and backdrops for solo.
    I personally realized years ago that I just enjoyed team books more than solo titles. 20+ charactes might not get equal page-time, but you can mix things up and just... switch focus and have something different without redefining what the book is.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I personally realized years ago that I just enjoyed team books more than solo titles. 20+ charactes might not get equal page-time, but you can mix things up and just... switch focus and have something different without redefining what the book is.
    I dont mind team books but often they can feel like dumping grounds. Im more character driven so giving me a solo tends to be prefferable.

Team books are fine but can be hit or miss.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-15-2024 at 08:38 AM.

Ultimate Member

Definitely team books for me as well. Even if I don't love every member of a team, I recognize from pretty much everything in life, that not *every* dish on the table is gonna be specifically *my* personal favorite. Other people like stuff too, and some of those characters I don't love are *their* favorites.

That said, I prefer teams that include a mix of new and old characters. A book that introduces a bunch of all new people I've never seen before is a bit much all at once for me. I like some familiar faces, as well.

When it comes to solos, the supporting cast has to be stellar. I'm that odd guy who read Iron Man back in the '80s because I loved Mrs. Arboghast's snark (his personal secretary at the time), or enjoyed Alfred's banter with Bruce sometimes more than the adventures of Batman.

I'm the same. I find myself always getting more fun out of team books over solo ones. My favorite comic reads involve teams. Solos are tricky if you don't like the character or just don't like the direction there's no reason to keep following it. Team books have a whole cast of characters and they play off one another. There's a few characters where I'm not interested in their solos but in a team I enjoyed them quite a lot playing off a group.

I dont mind team books but often they can feel like dumping grounds. Im more character driven so giving me a solo tends to be prefferable.

And now to go off this. This is also true about being a hit or miss. If you just throw a team together and are not really trying to tell a story with them and just having them be there to get a sale or something then yeah, the team won't be good because there's no heart to it. Just being a dumping ground to stick a character you have no plans for is not a good thing for the team book or the story.

I really like how the classic Avengers had a rotating door in the old days with members coming and going, then coming back for awhile then going off again then, then returning for a teamup etc. it felt like most of the characters during that period that joined the team had something to do and brought a dynamic to the team. Not just with powers but personality and stories. I wish there was a current secondary Avengers book that brought that back.

I also like team books that have a smaller but focused roster on those characters and their family/team dynamics as well. That's what I enjoyed about the classic New Mutants.

Some of the most memorable character moments even in "solo" books... aren't the main character.

The moment when you realize that Scorch is trying to decide if she wants to kick Despero's ---- is amazingly well done. Also that run of "Superman" had non-stop guest characters. :Ţ

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Definitely team books for me as well. Even if I don't love every member of a team, I recognize from pretty much everything in life, that not *every* dish on the table is gonna be specifically *my* personal favorite. Other people like stuff too, and some of those characters I don't love are *their* favorites.

That said, I prefer teams that include a mix of new and old characters. A book that introduces a bunch of all new people I've never seen before is a bit much all at once for me. I like some familiar faces, as well.

When it comes to solos, the supporting cast has to be stellar. I'm that odd guy who read Iron Man back in the '80s because I loved Mrs. Arboghast's snark (his personal secretary at the time), or enjoyed Alfred's banter with Bruce sometimes more than the adventures of Batman.
    I'm a team guy also. I love the interdynamics. A good writer can bring out nuances in the different interactions, and, for me, that makes all the difference.

Peace

The Asian superhero recruits from Agent of Atlas.

They were a cool bunch and a good initiative poorly promoted.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-16-2024 at 04:45 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The Asian superhero recruits from Agent of Atlas.

They were a cool bunch and a good initiative poorly promoted.
    Alas, yeah. Some of them have continued to appear in other comics, though, like White Fox in South Korea's Tiger Division (and occasional team-ups with the Black Cat) and Luna Snow, of whom Cindy Moon/Silk is a pretty big fangirl (and later friend).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Luna Snow will also be a playable character in the upcoming Marvel Rivals game.

Amazing Member

Rachel Van Helsing!! From the amazing comic Tomb of Dracula. She was a GREAT character! She would be the Marvel's Integra Hellsing from the Manga Anime Hellsing. Rachel VH.jpg

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by romiross View Post
    Rachel Van Helsing!! From the amazing comic Tomb of Dracula. She was a GREAT character! She would be the Marvel's Integra Hellsing from the Manga Anime Hellsing. Rachel VH.jpg
    Pretty cool. And good on you for the Hellsing name drop. I was actually inspired to do a Nightstalkers build with her in the context of a Marvel vs. Capcom fic I did once centering around Spider-Man (for Marvel) and Darkstalkers (plus Devil May Cry, eventually, for Capcom), and Integra Hellsing was a heavy influence on my depiction of her.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I might be alone on this, but I think it would be fun to bring The Aquarian back, just to see how the modern-day MU would react to such a figure... would the "jesus" jokes wear thin quickly, or become a running gag? lol

Mighty Member

MU versions of punisher MAX bad guys. Barracuda could be a try hard kingpin. His brutality is heavily implied. A revised origin could have him as a violent street thug he joined the army after 9.11 to escape arrest. He loved the horrors of Iraq and Afghanistan and became a top black ops agent. Lately he's gotten ambitious....

Mighty Member

Marvel hated Rachel Van Helsing for some reason, so they had her killed.
    Last edited by williamtheday; 04-19-2024 at 01:12 PM.

Paul Jenkins introduced a group of young inhumans who went to Empire State university (Tonaja, Alaris, San, Nahrees, Jolen, Dewoz). I wouldnt mind seeing them again.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-19-2024 at 02:29 PM.