Spectacular Member

Default Does anyone else skip issues they’re not interested in?

If I’m reading a comic and I’m not interested in certain issues I’d skip them. Does anyone else do this?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    If I’m reading a comic and I’m not interested in certain issues I’d skip them. Does anyone else do this?
    Depends on how much I enjoy the series overall; if the issues in question are part of an on-going story line or not; if the issues are written / drawn by the regular writer and artist or not; etc.

Not often nor all of the time, but it does happen. Many times it might happen in ensemble books and the next storyline has 4 characters I simply dislike so I might skip that storyline.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Not really. If I'm not interested in an ongoing, I'll drop the book. If I'm reading an older trade or collection of single issues, then I'll just read what I bought, since I bought it for a reason.

BANNED

Not really. Sometimes there is a one issue comic story with bad art thats a filler every here and there but cause it's just 20 something pages I would read it.

Sometimes. If it's a really good run that has me hooked, than I'll keep buying it even if the writer is puts out the odd boring issue.

If it's a run I like but could live without, I'll skip issues, and than eventually drop it until it looks interesting again.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

All the time, I speak with my wallet.

If there is a fill in artist/writer/tie-in issue I read reviews and if it isn't to my taste I skip it.

I try to reward the things I like, you gotta remember this is an expensive hobby and I try to make my dollar work

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    All the time, I speak with my wallet.

If there is a fill in artist/writer/tie-in issue I read reviews and if it isn't to my taste I skip it.

I try to reward the things I like, you gotta remember this is an expensive hobby and I try to make my dollar work
    Unfortunately, saying you "speak with my wallet" doesn't really mean anything to DC comics. They don't have any clue as to what you are or aren't buying.

The only ones who maybe "hear" you are your comic book shop / service if you still are buying paper copies.

an issue? No. A story arc or an entire run? yes

If I skip an issue it means I'm dropping the title or was just busy and missed an issue. If it's a good story each issue should be important/vital to the narrative.

Now if you're just fanning over one character and could care less about the story I'd understand, but then you're probably not paying for the comic anyway because that's a weird way to read. It's different if you're just coming into a story halfway through, but to actively drop an issue or two then pick the same arc back up doesn't make sense to me. I'm all in or all out
    The J-man

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Unfortunately, saying you "speak with my wallet" doesn't really mean anything to DC comics. They don't have any clue as to what you are or aren't buying.

The only ones who maybe "hear" you are your comic book shop / service if you still are buying paper copies.
    I hear ya, that may be true; but that's all the "power" I have in this regard.