Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Can someone clarify if Rictor and Shatterstar broke up before this run? Because if not then it’s not really a case of an ex just popping up on you and moreso a case of your significant other going missing/ getting kidnapped while you emotionally cheated with a big blue daddy and didn’t look for them.

Betsy DEFINITELY could have read that man’s mind and cooled down the situation, but nah she said lemme be terrible to the mind control victim even though I have personal experience with the horrors of Mojoworld.
    Before Excalibur, the last time Rictor and Shatterstar interacted was during the Shatterstar miniseries. They were on the rocks in that series because Shatterstar was having trouble coping with not living in Mojoworld and adjusting to life. Shatterstar had started an apartment complex that rented to people who were castaways/runaways/etc. of odd alternate universes. By the end of the mini they had gotten back together after Shatterstar's love and connection to Rictor let him jump across all of space and time to get home.

Everything else, including Rictor suddenly having trouble with his powers, was invented for this series. Last we saw them they were happy and together and running that apartment complex with all of the rescued tenants.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, not gonna lie, while there’s been no shortage of contrivances and OOC moments in the Hickman era; Excalibur’s has always been the most blatantly inorganic

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Before Excalibur, the last time Rictor and Shatterstar interacted was during the Shatterstar miniseries. They were on the rocks in that series because Shatterstar was having trouble coping with not living in Mojoworld and adjusting to life. Shatterstar had started an apartment complex that rented to people who were castaways/runaways/etc. of odd alternate universes. By the end of the mini they had gotten back together after Shatterstar's love and connection to Rictor let him jump across all of space and time to get home.

Everything else, including Rictor suddenly having trouble with his powers, was invented for this series. Last we saw them they were happy and together and running that apartment complex with all of the rescued tenants.
    Good times. Good times . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    Good times. Good times . . .

I liked the one on new mutants that shatterstar is only using a apron to cook hahah

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post

That is the ompletely opposite of what Excalibur want you to think.

They do't explain why they break up or that Rictor even miss shatterstar.
    Last edited by Rang10; 06-10-2021 at 11:18 AM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    Congratulations Tina Howard! You've managed the impossible: I now dislike Rictor and absolutely HATE Betsy. Talk about RAF. [slow clap]

So the first time I read this I was distracted at how appalling Rictor's reaction was that I skimmed right over Star's "Your alive!" speech bubble and didn't realize what it suggests and how it makes Rictor's reaction even worse. Shatterstar didn't know Rictor was alive because he left for Mojoworld before the Age of X-Man ended and the characters stuck in that reality returned to the 616. Which helps explain why Star got to Mojoworld. But this means Rictor returned from AoXM, couldn't find Star (did he even look for him?), and just assumed that they were broken up when he didn't even really know if Star was alive at all. And this is how he reacts to seeing him again for the first time since before AoXM. The only way his reaction would have made a bit of sense is if they had an epically bad break up, but there wasn't even a break up! Terrible writing, just terrible.

This was a good issue! I felt like this was probably the most interesting Clan Akkaba has been and I loved Wisdon's breakdown of how they've been dragging Betsy's name. She's been letting a lot of her responsibilities to Britain fall to the wayside in favor of Krakoa/Avalon but if the Council needs her to repair those relationships she'll need to find a reason to care. I was pleased Betsy finally actually said something and asserted her position and power. She was feeling herself around the paparazzi too which was super cute.

Rictor is awful and the most unlikable character in the book but creating Braddock Isle was a cute moment! I still don't care about him as a Druid though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    Betsy has been a failure as Captain Britain - which sucks, because she should be Captain Britain. Her entire reason back at X of Swords was practically "cause I wanna be". And this issue showed that she's neglected her duties in the actual UK so much that they don't even want her there anymore and her reaction is pretty petty. Not saying Coven Akkaba are right - they're not, they're wrong. But Tini Howard's desire to write Betsy as a "selfish princess" is really to the detriment of the book because they keep showing her as her own worst enemy and she seems really incompetent (when we know she isn't).
    Idk about petty but I think it fits where she is. Betsy is a Captain Britain who doesn't actually care about Britain. She's a minority (mutant) that's in a position of power that should reflect the governing state, but said state also oppresses minorities. This conflict of identity vs duty is what I can see making her come off as incompetent (ouch) in certain ventures because she's genuinely not paying much attention to a part of the board.

even tying into the gala, this issue still just bores me to tears. I just don't like the writing or the characterization. It's just been the most dull of all the x-books. X-factor is a close second though

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Idk about petty but I think it fits where she is. Betsy is a Captain Britain who doesn't actually care about Britain. She's a minority (mutant) that's in a position of power that should reflect the governing state, but said state also oppresses minorities. This conflict of identity vs duty is what I can see making her come off as incompetent (ouch) in certain ventures because she's genuinely not paying much attention to a part of the board.
    She is a rich woman, she isn't a minority. She doesn't care about anything, she did everything Apocalypse asked her even murder innocent animals.
    she is a failure

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    She is a rich woman, she isn't a minority. She doesn't care about anything, she did everything Apocalypse asked her even murder innocent animals.
    she is a failure
    She’s a mutant. Mutants are a minority lol.
    She cared about her brother, Avalon, and Otherworld. And the animals had it coming so oh well.
    She is failing. That’s why it’ll be all the more satisfy when she wins! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    She’s a mutant. Mutants are a minority lol.
    She cared about her brother, Avalon, and Otherworld. And the animals had it coming so oh well.
    She is failing. That’s why it’ll be all the more satisfy when she wins! Cheers!
    mutants have their own country, not a minority.

If she cared about them she wouldnt follow blindly a villain.

If she ever wins, because she is terrible on herjob and Tini still didn't jusfied her being Captain Britain
    Last edited by Rang10; 06-10-2021 at 05:35 PM.

mutants have their own country, not a minority.

If she cared about them she wouldnt follow blindly a villain.

If she ever wins, because she is terrible
    lol okay

Blindly follow a man whose motives we literally saw her question leading to him letting her into his Grimoire, and they expanded on that foundation of trust after the warwolves? That's crazy!

Terrible to great. We love a Cinderella story! Glad you're joining in on the ride!

Fantastic Member

This book onlly has a chance because of Krakoa setting giving some hype. You get jubilee, gambit, rogue and they were only wallpapers, that is how bad this book is.

Ram v is a great writer, seems like he doesnt miss. The problem of taking over Excalibur is that the book already lost lot of hype, readership. Marvel probably want him to takeover books with a fresh #1

There is also the x-men writers that are pretty tight and a new writer kicking other out might not be good.
    They've already shuffled creative teams a few times on New Mutants, and canceled Fallen Angels and X-Factor, so there's nothing too outrageous about changing the Excalibur team. Howard can still make her mess on X-Corp.
    Heck, Chris Claremont kept bringing his favorite characters and plots to whichever series he was currently writing (Deathbird and Mystique debuting in Ms.Marvel?)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    I think if you don't live in the UK you'd perhaps not pick up on the subtle nuances of some of what's going on. I'm happy to see it pointed out this way.

Unfortunately I think people find right wing politics unrealistic because they find the idea of themselves being right wing horrible, and most would claim not to be.
    Much appreciation for the insight. I find the whole UK/Krakoa row very intriguing and the parallels to the real world are interesting.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

How can Brian not realize that Meggan is pregnant again, from all of that?

Maybe he’s “too close” to her to realize the obvious.
    But I mean, c’mon, it’s ssssoooooo obvious.