Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Gambit already stole Excalibur sword, visited Outworld and became a champion of it, had a great bromance with Pete Wisdom and history with everyone except Rictor, fought magic villains before, he is a fan of Harry Potter world and read all books.
    It just never were mentioned or used in Excalibur cause Tini never bothered to make her research or read this stories.

Could he fit better X-Force or Hellions? Definitely.
    Was he miscast on Excalibur? No. He just was badly written or just used as punching bag or wallpaper here. With a good writer he would be a really fun team member for Excalibur.
    Yes to all of this. Gambit never seemed like a bad fit for this book to me. This cast could have worked beautifully with a writer who wanted to make it work.

I don’t think Tini Howard lacks talent, but I don’t think she was interested in anyone in this cast except Apocalypse and made no real effort to hide that in her writing.
    Last edited by Psyknight; 06-10-2021 at 10:31 PM.

Fantastic Member

I've been reading comics for 25+ years and I honestly think Excalibur might be one of the worst I've ever read.

It's just a failure on every front. I feel like the author has no idea how to craft even a basic story. How did she break into the industry when she can't even do her craft 101?

It's literally a 0/10 comic.

The connection and comparison to the right wing politics of real world UK reals like a stretch. It breaks down when you look at what's happened in this series. Akkaba might be jackasses, but they're argument in this issue was pretty solid and weirdly civil. Until they got home and killed Pete for vague reasons, at least. That moment felt like a cartoon moment where you need to have them do something really awful just to make it clear they are the bad guys after they'd acted reasonable all issue to that point.

Betsy has totally failed as Captain Britain, giving people ample reason to suspect her motives and loyalties. They put a puppet king in charge of Avalon after invading it under false pretenses! Rictor ripping apart the literal land of the UK to make his own island is straight up an act of war. Howard has written this weird situation where the supposed heroes act like selfish villains but are still portrayed as genuine heroes. I really think she just doesn't think any of these political ramifications through.

Another great issue. Howard is leaning heavily into Betsy’s UK/Krakoa conflict which I love (excited to see how the UK responds to the new island - i noticed from the data page that there’s a political dispute), and I enjoy Betsy and Rachel becoming closer. It’s so fun to see the things which Claremont et al intended but could never write actually manifest.

Overall this book continues to be a fav, but then, anything that isn’t ‘paint by numbers’ comics or ‘my personality is punching’ is a winner. I get why White and Hickman champion Howard so greatly, it’s because she gives her characters personalities which include sadness, regret, crisis and poor judgment. It’s surprising more comics don’t do this (excluding indie).

Edit: just noticed how many people on this forum want this book to be cancelled, but continue to buy it so they can tell a female creator how she should do her job. Very on brand for this forum lol.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-11-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Another great issue. Howard is leaning heavily into Betsy’s UK/Krakoa conflict which I love (excited to see how the UK responds to the new island - i noticed from the data page that there’s a political dispute), and I enjoy Betsy and Rachel becoming closer. It’s so fun to see the things which Claremont et al intended but could never write actually manifest.

Overall this book continues to be a fav, but then, anything that isn’t ‘paint by numbers’ comics or ‘my personality is punching’ is a winner. I get why White and Hickman champion Howard so greatly, it’s because she gives her characters personalities which include sadness, regret, crisis and poor judgment. It’s surprising more comics don’t do this (excluding indie).

Edit: just noticed how many people on this forum want this book to be cancelled, but continue to buy it so they can tell a female creator how she should do her job. Very on brand for this forum lol.
    I don't believe it has anything to do with the fact that tini is a female. Kelly Thompson received very high marks all across this forum because what she wrote was brilliant. Excalibur has been abysmal in terms of both storytelling and character growth. Most of this book happens off panel, characterizations thrown out the window, "plot" points really go nowhere, this book has been one of my least favorite reads featuring one of my favorite casts.

I dont think anyone cares the gender of the creative team as long as they are doing something... creative. Tini has done none of these characters any favors, save maybe rictor in terms of his abilities (only to throw his character in the toilet). I think it is sad that x-factor is being canceled when Leah actually did character research and seems to enjoy her team while this rubbish lives on to tell another tale (or not because nothing actually happens in this book).
    Last edited by Muffinman; 06-11-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Clearly you are someone who enjoys staring into the toaster watching the bread turn brown. That about the equivalence this dumpster fire of a series is doing as it plods onwards without contributing anything of any relevance or worth.

You speak of the series invoking "sadness, regret, crisis and poor judgment". If it wasn't for the expressive art we wouldn't even see those emotions depicted properly because the dialogue between characters is so contrived and without substance. It would be nice to have context to understand WHY the characters are feeling as they do with some appropriate backstory. For example: I'm still trying to grasp how Apocalypse and Rictor became so close because there was nothing ever depicted on panel except contrived banter.

Howard has fans. I get it. Look at the eye-rolling Twilight series. Some readers just want to check their brain at the door and read a comic without being burdened by a character's history. But some of us, I would say the majority, follow some of these characters very closely and have a variety of emotional attachments and we get very perturbed when a writer can't do them the courtesy of a simple Wiki check or read some back issues to find their appropriate voice. Howard is guilty of that affront.

As clarification, people want the series improved not cancelled. They want to be heard. Don't pull BS gender biases into this thread. It isn't about Howard being a female author and you know it. I'm female and collect the series for the art and if I want to complain about its writing direction, I will continue to do so. If you have such a skewed perspective of this forum you don't have to be here.

Not everyone that's critical of this run has any issue with TH being a woman.

It has more to do with what she as a writer decides to tell on the page and what she expects the reader to understand and read through the lines. I think its a thin line making that work and she is not executing it well.

Things bounce around story wise that we are just expected to understand. And yeah I get that she's 'trusting' the reader to understand. BUT IMO some of the stuff she leaves out needs to be on panel.

Well maybe she is because you seem to love this series which is great. We have different perspectives of whats expected from story telling.

And its great that we are getting a perspective of a woman writing Betsy going through it with as you say "sadness, regret, crisis and poor judgement." But some of it just doesnt make sense.

It seems like she is writing Betsy as being reset and forgetting everything that she's already been through. And I understand that good writing is putting your characters in situations the reader is not comfortable with; but man its 21 issues in and we still havent had any sort of payoff IMO others will disagree. The Kwannon Betsy issue was better for Kwannon and did nothing for Betsy in my view.

Regarding payoff: Some of you will say that we got the CB Corps back. Ok thats cool. But Betsy wasn't even a part of that. 616 Betsy (our Betsy) was shattered into pieces. And then when they tried bringing her back she didnt want to come back all of a sudden. And she wasnt even in the epic Pepe Larraz battle.

She doesn't know how to write a team book. She's better when she focuses on one or two characters. And she's not great at writing action or intrigue IMO

What we got in 6 issues with Vita Ayala (a woman), Leah Willaims, (a woman), Al Ewing, and Zeb Wells in 6 ISSUES is way better than what Excalibur has given us in 21 issues.

I just don't understand how you can have half of the X-Men Blue team and then just waste it. You can honestly tell me that Rogue, Gambit, and Jubilee have done ANYTHING of substance in this run?
    Last edited by CGAR; 06-11-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Not everyone that's critical of this run has any issue with TH being a woman.

It has more to do with what she as a writer decides to tell on the page and what she expects the reader to understand and read through the lines. I think its a thin line making that work and she is not executing it well.

Things bounce around story wise that we are just expected to understand. And yeah I get that she's 'trusting' the reader to understand. BUT IMO some of the stuff she leaves out needs to be on panel.

Well maybe she is because you seem to love this series which is great. We have different perspectives of whats expected from story telling.

And its great that we are getting a perspective of a woman writing Betsy going through it with as you say "sadness, regret, crisis and poor judgement." But some of it just doesnt make sense.

It seems like she is writing Betsy as being reset and forgetting everything that she's already been through. And I understand that good writing is putting your characters in situations the reader is not comfortable with; but man its 21 issues in and we still havent had any sort of payoff IMO others will disagree. The Kwannon Betsy issue was better for Kwannon and did nothing for Betsy in my view.

Regarding payoff: Some of you will say that we got the CB Corps back. Ok thats cool. But Betsy wasn't even a part of that. 616 Betsy (our Betsy) was shattered into pieces. And then when they tried bringing her back she didnt want to come back all of a sudden. And she wasnt even in the epic Pepe Larraz battle.

She doesn't know how to write a team book. She's better when she focuses on one or two characters. And she's not great at writing action or intrigue IMO

What we got in 6 issues with Vita Ayala (a woman), Leah Willaims, (a woman), Al Ewing, and Zeb Wells in 6 ISSUES is way better than what Excalibur has given us in 21 issues.

I just don't understand how you can have half of the X-Men Blue team and then just waste it. You can honestly tell me that Rogue, Gambit, and Jubilee have done ANYTHING of substance in this run?
    These are interesting characters just wasted on this book. They are just deluxe extras.

I think kwanon on and Malice received more attention than half of the regular cast.

Betsy story is a big mess. The way Howard choose to tell stories is very chaotic and change depending of the plot

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    As clarification, people want the series improved not cancelled. They want to be heard. Don't pull BS gender biases into this thread. It isn't about Howard being a female author and you know it. I'm female and collect the series for the art and if I want to complain about its writing direction, I will continue to do so. If you have such a skewed perspective of this forum you don't have to be here.
    Many very much do want it cancelled and have said so, repeatedly. They read it then call for it to be cancelled. For over one year now. It's tired.

But I do agree that it hasn't had anything to do with Tini being a female, at least that's not the impression I ever got. But I personally love the book and have had private conversations with others who do too. It's very easy to get steamrolled by the "CANCEL IT NOW" crew so the ones who enjoy it don't bother saying anything anymore.

And yes, I enjoy staring at the toaster watching the bread turn brown. Gets me fired up.
    Last edited by JB; 06-11-2021 at 09:45 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I feel sorry for those who do not find anything to like and enjoy about this book...and have not done so for 21 issues.
    I will pray for them.

My toaster setting is at the "darkest". And I stand there with tea steeping at the side...watching and patiently waiting...
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 06-11-2021 at 09:39 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I feel sorry for those who do not find anything to like and enjoy about this book...and have not done so for 21 issues.
    I will pray for them.

My toaster setting is at the "darkest". And I stand there with tea steeping at the side...watching and patiently waiting...
    It really is the best, right? My toaster knows I'll never cancel it.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    I also do not understand Clan Akabba at all. Apocalypse is a mutant. A mutant started clan. But they are anti mutant? Dumb.
    This was in issue 4.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    The connection and comparison to the right wing politics of real world UK reals like a stretch. It breaks down when you look at what's happened in this series. Akkaba might be jackasses, but they're argument in this issue was pretty solid and weirdly civil. Until they got home and killed Pete for vague reasons, at least. That moment felt like a cartoon moment where you need to have them do something really awful just to make it clear they are the bad guys after they'd acted reasonable all issue to that point.
    They're open bigots who hate mutants and have been since the beginning. So to me that vitiates any of their "arguments" because they're based on hate and makes their intentions to improve their country flimsy.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    It really is the best, right? My toaster knows I'll never cancel it.
    NEVEERRRRRR!!!! lol
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I will pray for them.

I like the Braddock sibling dynamic and that Otherworld is expanded.

And when I say I'd want it cancelled I mean refreshed and rebooted with a new creative team. Not that it matters. But yeah.
    Last edited by CGAR; 06-11-2021 at 10:03 AM.