Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Betsy has been a failure as Captain Britain - which sucks, because she should be Captain Britain. Her entire reason back at X of Swords was practically "cause I wanna be". And this issue showed that she's neglected her duties in the actual UK so much that they don't even want her there anymore and her reaction is pretty petty. Not saying Coven Akkaba are right - they're not, they're wrong. But Tini Howard's desire to write Betsy as a "selfish princess" is really to the detriment of the book because they keep showing her as her own worst enemy and she seems really incompetent (when we know she isn't).

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    Well...i really want to like this book...but I'm almost always disappointed. The dialogue is always artificial for me. And I still don't feel like this is Betsy Braddock.

There were some good moments of course, but overall, I'm still wishing this books get a new creative team.

I do love Betsy and Rachel's bond....but as friends. I don't like when every good chemistry has to get sexual at one point.
    There are things about the series I don't love but there's enough that I do love so I mostly focus in that direction.

I'm intrigued about the Betsy/Rachel stuff especially because in Betsy's mind she saw Rachel and Kate together. The drama!

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    I thought it was a fine enough issue. The Brian, Kurt, Meggan stuff was great. Intrigued by the Richtor druid stuff. UK rejecting Krakoa and killing Wisdom is a fine enough plot. Betsy commented about the cats was the only thing that stood out as bad. But why was shatterstar covered in blood?
    He was just rescued from Mojoworld where he was brainwashed to be a gladiator for the ratings. His rescue happened in the last X-Factor.
    Last edited by JB; 06-09-2021 at 03:48 PM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    I thought it was a fine enough issue. The Brian, Kurt, Meggan stuff was great. Intrigued by the Richtor druid stuff. UK rejecting Krakoa and killing Wisdom is a fine enough plot. Betsy commented about the cats was the only thing that stood out as bad. But why was shatterstar covered in blood?
    In X-Factor 9, Shatterstar freed former team-mate Theresa (Siryn) Cassidy from being possessed by the Morrigan, an ancient Celtic goddess of Death. As she lay dying, the Morrigan placed a spell/curse on Shatterstar that included Rictor (presumably because the two have a psychic link caused by 'Star's teleporting ability that made Ric an anchor). I don't know of the time it took between that combat and the Gala, but 'Star must have booked it over there without changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    Betsy has been a failure as Captain Britain - which sucks, because she should be Captain Britain. Her entire reason back at X of Swords was practically "cause I wanna be". And this issue showed that she's neglected her duties in the actual UK so much that they don't even want her there anymore and her reaction is pretty petty. Not saying Coven Akkaba are right - they're not, they're wrong. But Tini Howard's desire to write Betsy as a "selfish princess" is really to the detriment of the book because they keep showing her as her own worst enemy and she seems really incompetent (when we know she isn't).
    Betsy did a really poor job as captain britain, she is really letting it down.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    So this issue was not bad. Obviously, I am critical of the writing, art, and coloring. But I think this is a step in the right direction.

I'm hoping in the upcoming arc we get a Betsy we are more familiar with moving forward.

Now that Rogue is gone here's hoping TH gives Gambit something to do other than complain and be Rogue's husband.

Although I'm an NOT into Rictor being a druid. I think being a Druid King is kind of a big deal, no?

Jubilee I just have no hope for her other than being the character that always has a baby in her arms.

Are we to assume that Meggan is preggo? I hope not because I wanted her to be a full member of the team.

My only concern is the Captain Britain/Patriotic/UK focus or angle will pull Betsy away from or limit her role in some major X-Men events that may be coming down the line.

I want her to be more involved in the Hickman/Ewing storylines as well.

My last thought though is that Pete Wisdom was an idiot in this issue.

And I find Coven Akkaba uninteresting.
    Well, Megan’s either pregnant or it a deliberate misdirect, because she holding her stomach, won’t drink champagne, etc..

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Well, Megan’s either pregnant or it a deliberate misdirect, because she holding her stomach, won’t drink champagne, etc..
    Brian isn't drinking either. Maybe Tini Howard was a fan of that mpreg thread that started on here a while back...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Salemdelight View Post
    Not too keen on the UK turning their back on the Mutants on the say so of a Cult. The Clan robbing the nation of much needed medicine that would be a godsend to the struggling NHS. I predict a riot.

Rictor and Betsy were awful to Shatterstar. At least they made up at the end.
    Well the UK turned its back on one of the greatest trading unions in the world on the say so of a cult. The same cult which is now, by stealth, selling off the NHS to the highest bidder. So, yeah, it's entirely possible, and is actually one of the most realistic takes on UK politics in a comic book ever. Just those cult leaders need to look like Johnson and Farage.

Ok so I didn’t care did it before but now I just HATE the character Rictor has become. He’s almost an entirely different character at this point.

I wish this book would just be given to Alan Davis and have the original Excalibur reunite (plus Betsy). It’ll never happen though because Kitty and Kurt are already in different books, though Rachel may get freed up soon.

Ughhh, I don't know why I even bothered dipping my toe back in the water. Same story, different day. Tini's style just plain doesn't work for me.

The art was beautiful. Lots of moments that I absolutely loved LOOKING at. Gambit and Rogue after her announcement, Betsy and Rachel dancing, and FINALLY Rictor and Shatterstar reunited.

But the dialogue and way the story is conducted just bring me no joy. I'm so relieved that Rogue is moving on to X-Men and find it funny that Tini even acknowledges that Rogue didn't even choose to be on this team.

The reasoning for Gambit to stay is WEAK. His entire reason he got sucked into this story in the first place was helping Rogue and then staying at her behest. However he's been absolute wallpaper this whole run and now we're supposed to believe Tini has an actual purpose and plan for him? I wish he could just go to another book already so I can stop feeling obligated to even keep up with this story.

Oh ... and apparently Tini will let Meggan have another kid ... so whoopie.

Ok I was TRYING to be positive but reading everyones issues with this title is now reinforcing that I want a new creative team for Betsy and just this series in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Well the UK turned its back on one of the greatest trading unions in the world on the say so of a cult. The same cult which is now, by stealth, selling off the NHS to the highest bidder. So, yeah, it's entirely possible, and is actually one of the most realistic takes on UK politics in a comic book ever. Just those cult leaders need to look like Johnson and Farage.
    You're right. I didn't view the Clan that way, but they are. Ready to screw over the British people while saying they have their best interests in mind, but it's all their interests. Actually the more I think about it the more right you are as the Tories convinced people to vote leave on the promise the NHS would have more money. Only to take that away once they got more power. Exactly like the Clan and the mutant drugs.

And sadly I know what the Tories are doing to the NHS as I work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Lmao I’m always like... you’re reading comics about mutants who do magic and the thing you find most unrealistic is right wing politics?

People do the same thing with not understanding why mutants still are hated and feared lol

After reading the issue a second time, I enjoyed this issue more than I realised.

The fact the UK are backing out of the Krakoan deal was unexpected. I hope the book reflects the impact of this within the UK and Krakoa i.e. angry citizens who need/want the drugs, or a mention in Marauders that the UK will be a country that Hellfire Trading will service on the black market. I assume this will tie into the deal between Homo Verendi and Russia.

The High Priest made a reference to Arthur being the true king of Avalon so I wonder what the relationship here, maybe his family worshipped King Arthur but had to switch to Morgan Le Fey when Arthur disappeared.

I found Coven Akkaba more interesting this issue than ever before, especially as they created a spell to control access of the gates. This should be something the Council needs informing of ASAP. I guess we will see Excalibur vs Morgan round 2 at some point but who knows when that will happen.

Not sure why Pete Wisdom was pally pally with the High Priest. As soon as you left the gala, you ditch that man immediately as you know you cannot trust him!

Rictor becoming the druid king does not follow for me as I do not know what he has done to earn that right, but it is what it is. Also, is Rictor a druid by default just because of his mutant powers? That makes sense but something about it feels off to me but not sure why. However, it was great seeing him and the druid army break off the lighthouse and the portal from the UK, basically a giant FU to the coven (and the UK for being manipulated by a cult).

Moving forward, I hope to see Excalibur get a win at some point against the Coven because at this point, it just seems Excalibur has lost to them at every turn. Or at least go on the offensive instead of waiting for the danger to arrive. Maybe a smear campaign that their UK ambassador to the UN is in a literal witch cult?

Actually, has Excalibur had a real win yet? Everyone in the book always seem sad. They are discovering magic, where is the fun and adventure? The whimsy?! The only happy person appears to be Meggan and that was when she was in Otherworld.

The art was great and Rictor looked better in his outfit than I thought he would.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    Brian isn't drinking either. Maybe Tini Howard was a fan of that mpreg thread that started on here a while back...
    Considering his alcoholism and a drunken Nightcrawler bamfing around, that is probably a good thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    Congratulations Tina Howard! You've managed the impossible: I now dislike Rictor and absolutely HATE Betsy. Talk about RAF. [slow clap]

Betsy has been a crabby bitch since the start of this series. Now Rictor is too.

Poor Shatterstar. He finally escapes being a slave and this is the welcome-home he gets? We're supposed to believe that Rictor had no idea where he's been all this time?

This was not an enjoyable read. What a chore. A whole book full of cunty hideously-dressed dolts.