View Poll Results: Which of these movies would you like to watch?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • JJ Abrams/Coates standalone 'black' Superman movie

13 20.00%
  • Supergirl movie with Sasha Calle

15 23.08%
  • Jon Kent Superman movie

9 13.85%
  • Solo Superman movie starring Henry Cavill

40 61.54%
  • None of these (suggest alternatives in the comments)

15 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Which of these hypothetical Superman movies would you like to watch?

While there has been no concrete announcement of the next Superman movie, based on a combination of rumors and behind-the-scenes manuevers we know that there are several different ideas for what the next Superman movie could be. Not to mention a lot of fairly popular ideas debated on this forum beyond those. And while the merits of one possibility over the other has been endlessly debated across various threads, I thought it might be a good idea to get all the likely options up on one poll to take the temperature of the forum, to to speak...

The way I see it, the broad options that we're aware off, as of today, are:

1. The JJ Abrams/Coates standalone Superman project, which is widely believed (but NOT confirmed!) to involve a black Superman.

2. A Supergirl movie with Sascha Calle, who's being introduced in the Flash film. Not a Superman movie per se but it is rumored that in the short-term, Supergirl will be 'replacing' Superman on film.

3. Jon Kent taking over as Superman. This is really more just fan speculation combined with rumor, but given how much its discussed, and how much the ''son of Superman taking over'' idea seems to be cropping up off-late, including in the source material itself, this is an option worth putting up there.

4. Henry Cavill in a new standalone Superman film. As far as I'm aware, there are no plans for this, but technically, it hasn't been 100% ruled out either, and with all the volatility behind-the-scenes, who knows what can happen?

And of course, there are a myriad of other possibilities, but these are the ones which have been discussed the most off-late.

I've made the poll multi-option, so pick as many options as you want...
    Last edited by bat39; 07-11-2021 at 05:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member

There's a good Superman movie out there; but none of these are it. No interest at all in seeing a Supergirl movie after so much of the character on TV. Don't like Cavill, so that's out. No interest at all in the Abrams-Coates movie. To the extent I care about Jon it's as Superman's young son, not as Superman, so that's out. Maybe fifteen years ago I might have felt different, but for me, now, Superman is overexposed in vastly inferior movies and TV. I await someone who will come up with a fresh take on the superhero movie, and especially on Superman, one that still respects the core of decency that no one for me after Reeve really seemed to capture on screen.

I am of the opinion that WB shouldn't make a SM movie just because they can; they should only make one when they actually have a great script, cast an actor who can match Reeve, and a Lois to match Kidder or NN, and a director who understands and loves the character AND movie making. Well, a Donnor in fact...
    Last edited by achilles; 07-11-2021 at 03:33 AM.

2: is a potentially interesting alt-U as presented so far.

the others?.... need a lot of... work to be ready.

Ultimate Member

I'd most likely see another movie with Cavill or a solo Supergirl movie, or one with both of them. I'm not a huge fan of creating another separate continuity Superman.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Either a Cavill stand alone or a hard reboot. Which we'll probably get anyway. Batman gets yet another reboot while Superman is still treading water.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Either a Cavill stand alone or a hard reboot. Which we'll probably get anyway. Batman gets yet another reboot while Superman is still treading water.
    Superman did get a reboot about 8 years ago now - it was called Man of Steel. But this version of Superman proved to be ''divisive'' among audiences, critics, and now it seems, the executives as well. Hence, the current confusion over what to do with the character.

It seems that as far as DC/WB, critics, and indeed many fans go, the ideal option is to basically find a way to redo the Donner/Reeve films. Their other option seems to be replacing Superman with an alternate version (be it a black alternate universe variant, his cousin/daughter from an alternate universe, or his son). But the appetite to do a 'straight' reboot of the traditional Superman seems to be missing, since that's what they got with the Snyder/Cavill take and it didn't seem to have thrilled them...

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Their reluctance to give Cavill another movie speaks volumes about how much faith they have in him and that particular universe. Affleck is gone so that world is without a Batman now. Fisher isn't coming back so that JL has fallen apart. I don't see what we now call the DCEU lasting much longer. If they want to rehash the Donner verse, fine, then do that. But at least make it stable. Place the next Superman in the same universe as the Pattinson Batman and just move on. That seems to me the most stable thing to do. Admit that things fell apart with the DCEU and try again. It's more honest than just trying to Frankenstein monster a patchwork universe together with the remnants of older franchises. Between that and the Snyder-bros demanding he be allowed to finish his "vision", that entire universe seems toxic right now. Bang out another WW and Aquaman and just move on.
    Assassinate Putin!

I would really like to see Cavill get another chance at playing Superman, this time free of Snyder's themes and pathos that only dragged the character down. See someone like McQuaire, who approached WB with Cavill to pitch a movie, take a shot would be cool. Make one last movie, a fairwell to Cavill's Superman and then reboot it.

Ultimate Member

I'd like to see him in a movie about him in outer space, searching for Kryptonian remnants and meeting other aliens, including Supergirl and maybe Martian Manhunter. Then he goes back to Earth and writes some articles about it at the Daily Bugle. It would be an action/adventure movie

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Was initially intrigued by the possibility of a Calvin Ellis movie. Would like to see that, but not with Abrams though.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I'm cool with all of them.

Lightbulb

Supergirl movie with Sasha Calle would be my top choice followed (closely) by a "Black" Superman movie but only if it is written by someone else (JJ Abrams more so than Coastes) and the character is NOT a race-bent Clark Kent (such a creatively lazy option).
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-11-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'll go with either a standalone henry cavill movie without david s goyer or zack snyder being involved but rather a compotent writer and director with broad vision and talent who respect the character and his mythos or a hard reboot with someone else at the helm starting everything from scratch to wipe the slate clean and restore the characters reputation.

None of the above. I'm only truly interested in Clark/Kal-El, and with the latest incarnation there damaged beyond repair, it'd have to be a reboot. Doesn't need to be another origin but you gotta start over. Whether that's fair to Cavill or whatever has been debated time and again but its just the reality at this point. That doesn't mean I'd have zero interest in a Kara movie, I very much could but it wouldn't be my ideal is all. I'm a fan of Superman first. But Kara is the only other idea I would have a remote interest in.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-11-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Supergirl movie with Sasha Calle would be my top choice followed (closely) by a "Black" Superman movie but only if it is written by someone else (JJ Abrams more so than Coastes) and the character is NOT a race-bent Clark Kent (such a creatively lazy option).
    Yeah honestly, I'd be more enthusiastic for the black Superman movie if we knew for sure it was Calvin Ellis. A race-bent Clark Kent cements this character as the ''black'' Superman...Calvin Ellis can be remembered as President Superman My point is that Calvin Ellis has a (largely unexplored) mythology of his own that goes beyond him just being a black version of Superman. And if you want the film to tread political waters, the idea of an America and a world where the world's most powerful superhero is a black man who also becomes POTUS is a very intriguing premise.

One thing I'm iffy on when it comes to the rumors we've heard about this film is the period piece setting. I feel a 1930's Superman movie is an interesting idea to explore on its own...combining it with the black Superman idea is a bit strange. Then again, it may well be a great movie - we just know so little at this point.