Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57
  1. #1
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,446

    Cool Mr. Terrific Appreciation 2021- A man with an aptitude for aptitudes

    "When you lap the field in a race, for a while you look like you're behind. So it seems to people from the outside you're in, let's say, this place. When in fact you're just biding your time until you lap them again.



    Boasted as being the “third smartest man in the DC Universe,” to say Michael Holt is a genius would be an understatement. He holds Ph.D. degrees in 14 different disciplines, including Engineering, Physics, Law, Psychology, Chemistry, Political Science, and Mathematics. Not to mention he’s a self-made multi-millionaire. Before joining the costume community, Michael Holt was an Olympic Gold Medalist with an IQ that would make Lex Luthor jealous. In translation, Michael Holt is so smart he can build a particle accelerator while giving a detailed lecture on String Theory.

    His decision to enter the world of super-heroics as Mr. Terrific stemmed from a series of personal tragedies. He’s aided in his actions by T-Spheres, weapons of his design. Capable of everything from firing lasers to holographic projection to flight, the T-Spheres make Mr. Terrific just that much more of a force to be reckoned with.



    Show some respect to the smartest man in the DC Universe!


    Possesses 14 PhDs (two in engineering and physics—including doctorates and master's degrees in law, psychology, chemistry, political science, and mathematics)
    A self-made multi-millionaire
    A gold-medal-winning Olympic decathlete
    Chairman of the JSA
    Leader of Checkmate
    Inventor of the T-Sphere
    Leader of the Terrifics
    Savior of the Multiverse
    Explorer of the Dark Multiverse


    Terrifics1_1_5a977dabeb9fa5.16327984.jpg

    Abilities
    • Genius Level Intellect: Holt is described as having "a natural aptitude for having natural aptitudes;" picking up complicated skills quickly and retaining them, such as performing emergency surgery on teammate Alan Scott after reading about the procedure in a medical textbook. As Holt himself put it, "everyone has a talent...Mine is learning."
    • Eidetic Memory: Holt also possesses an eidetic memory, meaning that he never forgets anything and has perfect recall.
    • Polymath: Holt is also a polymath who has specialized in multiple fields of medicine, engineering, and science. He possesses 14 Ph.D.'s (two of which are in engineering and physics-including assorted doctorates and masters in degrees in Law, Psychology, Chemistry, Political Science, and Mathematics).
    • Chemistry
    • Electrical Engineering
    • Law
    • Medicine
    • Political Science
    • Psychology
    • Science
    • Tactical Analysis: Holt is good in strategy, playing chess against two opponents with eyes closed.
    • Business Management: Holt is the Billionaire C.E.O of Holt Industries aka HoltCorp, a high-tech firm he founded himself. He's also an Engineer, Inventor, Industrialist, and Scientist.
    • Multilingualism: Holt is also multilingual, though the extent of this has not been revealed. He has been shown to speak the language of the nation of Kahndaq. Given Holt's propensity for learning, it likely that he speaks several other languages as well.
    • Gymnastics: Olympic Gold Medalist in the decathlon.
    • Peak Human Condition: Mr. Terrific's bodily functions are at the pinnacle of human conditioning and very athletic.
    • Peak Human Strength: His strength is superior to any normal human.
    • Peak Human Agility: His agility is pushed to the very limit of human capability
    • Peak Human Reflexes: His reflexes are heightened to the peak of human potential.
    • Peak Human Endurance: He has a highly developed musculature that generates fewer fatigue toxins than the musculature of most other humans, enabling him to gain greater endurance. While fighting the Tomorrow Thief, he was able to survive in Arctic temperatures with two broken ribs.
    • Martial Arts: He is a black belt in six different martial arts disciplines.
    • Investigation: Holt was recommended by Batman to investigate Adam Strange after he requested him to send someone just as good at investigation as him.
    • Multilingualism: Holt is also multilingual, though the extent of this has not been revealed. He has been shown to speak the language of the nation of Kahndaq. Given Holt's propensity for learning, it likely that he speaks several other languages as well.




    Equipment
    • T Spheres: Floating robotic spheres can do many things including project holographic images, create laser grids, serve as cameras, link with outside data networks, allowing him to fly by bearing his weight, self-destruct, generate powerful electrical charges, and strike as flying projectile weapons. They respond to his mental and vocal commands.

    • T-Mask: He is invisible to all forms of electronic detection. This ability is tied to nanotechnology woven into his specially designed "T-Mask" (which is molecular-bonded to his face and can disappear at will) and costume. Mister Terrific was the only super-hero whom the OMACs could not detect. His mask also protects his face from chemicals and relays mental commands to his T-Spheres by detecting the subtle movements on his face. The mask works in conjunction with an earpiece to acts as a communications system. Through his mask, Holt can change instantaneously into costume and back again.
    • Holt's mask also doubles as a encephalic broadcaster, picking up aggregate thought waves, allowing him to communicate with his T-Spheres and even project a speaking hologram of himself, even if he is injured or too weak to speak.


    Enemies:
    -Ahk-ton
    -Kobra Cult
    -----Ariadne Persakis
    -Nazis, Fourth Reich
    -----Baroness Blitzkieg
    -----Baron Gestapo
    -----Captain Nazi
    -----White Dragon
    -Brainstorm
    -Brother Eye
    -Doctor Chaos
    -Gog
    -Java (Doc Dread)
    -Johnny Sorrow
    -Jokerborg
    -Joseph Martin (Atomic Skull)
    -Killer Wasp
    -Major Force
    -Mister Terrible
    -Black Barax
    -Blackbriar Thorn
    -Catalyst
    -Crypt
    -Dr. Polaris
    -Geomancer
    -Kulak
    -Rag Doll
    -Richard Lusk
    -Scythe
    -Sebastian Stagg
    -Shiv
    -Simon Stagg
    -Sportsmaster
    -Thinker
    -Tomorrow Thief
    -Ultra-Humanite
    -Wizard
    -Klu Klux Klan






    Recommended Reading:
    The Terrifics (a must read!)
    Strange Adventures
    JSA vs Kobra
    Justice Society of America
    JSA
    JSA Classified


    Animation:
    Justice League Unlimited
    Justice League Action
    Justice League vs. the Fatal Five


    sources:
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Michael_Holt_(New_Earth)
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Michael_Holt_(Prime_Earth)
    https://www.writeups.org/mister-terr...olt-dc-comics/
    The J-man

  2. #2
    Mighty Member MoneySpider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,699

    Default

    One of the things I think is cool about Mr. Terrific is that his sanctuary is located in another dimension.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

  3. #3
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,413

    Default

    I can't say enough about how important this guy COULD be in DC.


    He's their "Universal Builder" to quote Hickman.


    The best image of him is the "Fairplay" tattoo on his back in Future's End #3

    He deserves a better catchphrase than the 3rd smartest man in the world. Please D.C. do away with that forever.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,161

    Default

    Yeah if the past decade or so has done anything its show just how important Terrific is to the DC universe, from multiverse exploration and defense to building tech and being the brain power that other heroes turn to when they have problems they can't solve. I mean Barry Allen has called Terrific twice now with Speed Force issues and Multiverse jumping.

    DC needs to give him a bigger place in the universe, a movie or tv show and certainly an ongoing series where he belongs and show how cool he is.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  5. #5
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    22,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    . . . DC needs to give him a bigger place in the universe, a movie or tv show and certainly an ongoing series where he belongs and show how cool he is.
    Well, at least it looks like he is suppose to be included with the Justice Society some time in the future:



  6. #6
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    "When you lap the field in a race, for a while you look like you're behind. So it seems to people from the outside you're in, let's say, this place. When in fact you're just biding your time until you lap them again.



    Boasted as being the “third smartest man in the DC Universe,” to say Michael Holt is a genius would be an understatement. He holds Ph.D. degrees in 14 different disciplines, including Engineering, Physics, Law, Psychology, Chemistry, Political Science, and Mathematics. Not to mention he’s a self-made multi-millionaire. Before joining the costume community, Michael Holt was an Olympic Gold Medalist with an IQ that would make Lex Luthor jealous. In translation, Michael Holt is so smart he can build a particle accelerator while giving a detailed lecture on String Theory.

    His decision to enter the world of super-heroics as Mr. Terrific stemmed from a series of personal tragedies. He’s aided in his actions by T-Spheres, weapons of his design. Capable of everything from firing lasers to holographic projection to flight, the T-Spheres make Mr. Terrific just that much more of a force to be reckoned with.



    Show some respect to the smartest man in the DC Universe!


    Possesses 14 PhDs (two in engineering and physics—including doctorates and master's degrees in law, psychology, chemistry, political science, and mathematics)
    A self-made multi-millionaire
    A gold-medal-winning Olympic decathlete
    Chairman of the JSA
    Leader of Checkmate
    Inventor of the T-Sphere
    Leader of the Terrifics
    Savior of the Multiverse
    Explorer of the Dark Multiverse


    Terrifics1_1_5a977dabeb9fa5.16327984.jpg

    Abilities
    • Genius Level Intellect: Holt is described as having "a natural aptitude for having natural aptitudes;" picking up complicated skills quickly and retaining them, such as performing emergency surgery on teammate Alan Scott after reading about the procedure in a medical textbook. As Holt himself put it, "everyone has a talent...Mine is learning."
    • Eidetic Memory: Holt also possesses an eidetic memory, meaning that he never forgets anything and has perfect recall.
    • Polymath: Holt is also a polymath who has specialized in multiple fields of medicine, engineering, and science. He possesses 14 Ph.D.'s (two of which are in engineering and physics-including assorted doctorates and masters in degrees in Law, Psychology, Chemistry, Political Science, and Mathematics).
    • Chemistry
    • Electrical Engineering
    • Law
    • Medicine
    • Political Science
    • Psychology
    • Science
    • Tactical Analysis: Holt is good in strategy, playing chess against two opponents with eyes closed.
    • Business Management: Holt is the Billionaire C.E.O of Holt Industries aka HoltCorp, a high-tech firm he founded himself. He's also an Engineer, Inventor, Industrialist, and Scientist.
    • Multilingualism: Holt is also multilingual, though the extent of this has not been revealed. He has been shown to speak the language of the nation of Kahndaq. Given Holt's propensity for learning, it likely that he speaks several other languages as well.
    • Gymnastics: Olympic Gold Medalist in the decathlon.
    • Peak Human Condition: Mr. Terrific's bodily functions are at the pinnacle of human conditioning and very athletic.
    • Peak Human Strength: His strength is superior to any normal human.
    • Peak Human Agility: His agility is pushed to the very limit of human capability
    • Peak Human Reflexes: His reflexes are heightened to the peak of human potential.
    • Peak Human Endurance: He has a highly developed musculature that generates fewer fatigue toxins than the musculature of most other humans, enabling him to gain greater endurance. While fighting the Tomorrow Thief, he was able to survive in Arctic temperatures with two broken ribs.
    • Martial Arts: He is a black belt in six different martial arts disciplines.
    • Investigation: Holt was recommended by Batman to investigate Adam Strange after he requested him to send someone just as good at investigation as him.
    • Multilingualism: Holt is also multilingual, though the extent of this has not been revealed. He has been shown to speak the language of the nation of Kahndaq. Given Holt's propensity for learning, it likely that he speaks several other languages as well.




    Equipment
    • T Spheres: Floating robotic spheres can do many things including project holographic images, create laser grids, serve as cameras, link with outside data networks, allowing him to fly by bearing his weight, self-destruct, generate powerful electrical charges, and strike as flying projectile weapons. They respond to his mental and vocal commands.

    • T-Mask: He is invisible to all forms of electronic detection. This ability is tied to nanotechnology woven into his specially designed "T-Mask" (which is molecular-bonded to his face and can disappear at will) and costume. Mister Terrific was the only super-hero whom the OMACs could not detect. His mask also protects his face from chemicals and relays mental commands to his T-Spheres by detecting the subtle movements on his face. The mask works in conjunction with an earpiece to acts as a communications system. Through his mask, Holt can change instantaneously into costume and back again.
    • Holt's mask also doubles as a encephalic broadcaster, picking up aggregate thought waves, allowing him to communicate with his T-Spheres and even project a speaking hologram of himself, even if he is injured or too weak to speak.


    Enemies:
    -Ahk-ton
    -Kobra Cult
    -----Ariadne Persakis
    -Nazis, Fourth Reich
    -----Baroness Blitzkieg
    -----Baron Gestapo
    -----Captain Nazi
    -----White Dragon
    -Brainstorm
    -Brother Eye
    -Doctor Chaos
    -Gog
    -Java (Doc Dread)
    -Johnny Sorrow
    -Jokerborg
    -Joseph Martin (Atomic Skull)
    -Killer Wasp
    -Major Force
    -Mister Terrible
    -Black Barax
    -Blackbriar Thorn
    -Catalyst
    -Crypt
    -Dr. Polaris
    -Geomancer
    -Kulak
    -Rag Doll
    -Richard Lusk
    -Scythe
    -Sebastian Stagg
    -Shiv
    -Simon Stagg
    -Sportsmaster
    -Thinker
    -Tomorrow Thief
    -Ultra-Humanite
    -Wizard
    -Klu Klux Klan






    Recommended Reading:
    The Terrifics (a must read!)
    Strange Adventures
    JSA vs Kobra
    Justice Society of America
    JSA
    JSA Classified


    Animation:
    Justice League Unlimited
    Justice League Action
    Justice League vs. the Fatal Five


    sources:
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Michael_Holt_(New_Earth)
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Michael_Holt_(Prime_Earth)
    https://www.writeups.org/mister-terr...olt-dc-comics/
    Mr. terrific is pretty powerful. Cyborg is still my favorite character but i have grown to like Mr. Terrific as well as john Stewart on this forum. It's sad that DC's writers and fans, generally speaking, just want to pigeon hole characters as they are when they first appeared. So Mr. Terrific will only be associated with the JSA and not as an individual character which will make it harder for him to have a solo project. Cyborg has that problem too. Fans mostly only want to associate him with the Teen titans which will make it harder for him to have another shot at a solo project. I would like to see a Mr. Terrific/Cyborg mini-series were they spare with their brains and whit in a friendly type of way. Maybe war games. Mr. terrific is obviously smarter than Cyborg at this point in time atleast from what has been shown in paper. But because Cyborg brain is part cybernetic and reconstructed from a Mother Box made by a God I would say that he has the potential to be the smartest out of everyone in the DC Universe and even more powerful than Darkseid since the entire Universe is composed up of numbers according to the fibonacci sequence. And at the heart of Computer Science are numbers. I have a fan fic in my head where Cyborg's human brain is jealous of the other part of the brain that's cybernetic and starts to compete against it and evolve to become more powerful. I think that something in this realm would make a good Cyborg v Mr. terrific mini-series.
    Last edited by abetterday; 06-10-2021 at 12:08 PM.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member dkrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah if the past decade or so has done anything its show just how important Terrific is to the DC universe, from multiverse exploration and defense to building tech and being the brain power that other heroes turn to when they have problems they can't solve. I mean Barry Allen has called Terrific twice now with Speed Force issues and Multiverse jumping.

    DC needs to give him a bigger place in the universe, a movie or tv show and certainly an ongoing series where he belongs and show how cool he is.
    Completely agree, however we know that DC will never let him cross onto the holy ground of Batman mythos. Especially when you talk about mental skills and tactical prowess.

  8. #8
    Justice Society Chairman Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    235

    Default

    What a great character. Easily in the top 3 for DC's top 3 new creations of the 90's, he's exactly what the DCU didn't know it needed. This man should be cameoing all over the place.

  9. #9
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,446

    Default

    I'd say Mr. Terrific is on a good trajectory since 2018. I don't want o jinx anything because DC doesn't have a great track record of "pushing" certain characters. I'm fairly happy with where he is now. His look. His associations and the general competence writers portray him with. I understand sometimes it's hard for writers to handle super-geniuses. Often you'll see writers force a really smart character down a direction in the service of the story. I was a fan of Mr. Terrific when I was first introduced to him. He always a few nice moments here and there, but the last three years have been really good for him. He's being established as more of a Reed Richards or Doc Savage of the DC Universe. I love the Terrifics and hope those characters stick as a team.

    I'm not sure what DC will do with the JSA and Justice League, but I expect Mr. Terrific to interact with both teams. If not being a full member of one or the other.

    Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    Mr. terrific is pretty powerful. Cyborg is still my favorite character but i have grown to like Mr. Terrific as well as john Stewart on this forum. It's sad that DC's writers and fans, generally speaking, just want to pigeon hole characters as they are when they first appeared. So Mr. Terrific will only be associated with the JSA and not as an individual character which will make it harder for him to have a solo project. Cyborg has that problem too. Fans mostly only want to associate him with the Teen titans which will make it harder for him to have another shot at a solo project. I would like to see a Mr. Terrific/Cyborg mini-series were they spare with their brains and whit in a friendly type of way. Maybe war games. Mr. terrific is obviously smarter than Cyborg at this point in time atleast from what has been shown in paper. But because Cyborg brain is part cybernetic and reconstructed from a Mother Box made by a God I would say that he has the potential to be the smartest out of everyone in the DC Universe and even more powerful than Darkseid since the entire Universe is composed up of numbers according to the fibonacci sequence. And at the heart of Computer Science are numbers. I have a fan fic in my head where Cyborg's human brain is jealous of the other part of the brain that's cybernetic and starts to compete against it and evolve to become more powerful. I think that something in this realm would make a good Cyborg v Mr. terrific mini-series.
    I'll try to be short. As some know I carried the torch for Cyborg around here from about 2010 to 2014. I was a fan of the character since his Teen Titans days. I thought he had a lot of potential at the start of the New 52. I still think he has a lot of unrealized potentials, but I'm not holding my breath on any big changes to the character. I think DC's made it clear about how they will handle Cyborg. There are areas where Mr. Terrific and Cyborg can co-exist and differ. I made another thread about Super-Geniuses collaborating. I think given the right scenario Terrific, Cyborg, Steel, Toy Master, Veritas, and others could collaborate on solving digital or engineering problems.

    So given their backgrounds there can be a significant amount of overlap, but ideally they both inhabit different spaces. Oh and John Stewart inhabits a very different "space" and has a much different role in the DC Universe.

    Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Completely agree, however we know that DC will never let him cross onto the holy ground of Batman mythos. Especially when you talk about mental skills and tactical prowess.
    I think they can inhabit different spaces. If Batman's off on a solo adventure and is the best at everything fine, but when he interacts/teams up with other heroes there should be a give and take. Narratively, speaking I feel like Mr. Terrific, Luthor and a few others should have some aptitudes over Batman. Bruce doesn't need to be the best fighter and the smartest person in the room at all times. There are areas Mr. Terrific should have an edge and there are areas Bruce can have an edge. There both Renaissance characters who are great at very many things. I believe Mr. Terrific should lean more into the formal, natural, and applied sciences whereas Batman should lean a little more into martial combat and investigation. They'd still be great at other things and some of the same things, but that's how I see them diverging beyond how they conduct themselves because obviously, Michael's approach is very different than Bruce's. Fair Play vs a more any means approach.
    Last edited by Jabare; 06-10-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    The J-man

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Completely agree, however we know that DC will never let him cross onto the holy ground of Batman mythos. Especially when you talk about mental skills and tactical prowess.
    Actually that might work to Holt’s advantage as a character, everyone mostly sees Batman as some edgy loner who sticks to Gotham to fight madmen. Where as Holt can go anywhere and do anything, put him in the JSA or the Justice League or his own team? Sure. Have him be a multiverse adventurer? Why not. Have him guard the multiverse and be called when very question of science in the universe is at stake? Hell yeah, do it.

    Holt has the capacity to be anything because he’s not weighed down by the expectations of past history.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  11. #11
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,446

    Default

    The J-man

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    4,635

    Default

    For a character that came nowhere near living up to his potential in live action, his costume was actually pretty damn good.


  13. #13

  14. #14
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,446

    Default




    I do like that DC is slowly starting to play up a Luthor and Holt rivalry




    Also, I highly recommend people start reading Strange Adventures. We're getting some good Mr. Terrific moments

    The J-man

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,564

    Default

    Love the character. I think he has the potential to be a big deal and I love that it seems like DC are finally starting to realize that.
    It's been nice seeing him show up in Flash and Infinite Frontier. Hope he can get a solo or his own movie/TV show someday soon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •