Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

United States of Captain America sounds like something close to DC's Green Arrows or Batmen of all nations back in the fifties. Different characters with identities like the titular hero, but not trying to be them, just live up to their example. Nothing that hasn't been done before, but this time, a 21st century social commentary can be added. Oh, NOOOOOOEES one of the Caps is gay? Cue homophobic outrage.

As for Wolverine, the fist few decades of his appearances were under the comics code and homosexual couples didn't happen. Every Marvel and DC character was straight washed. I take Logan's sexuality like I take Bond's in Skyfall. James Bond is one of fiction's greatest womanizers and he states in the movie he might have. I've seen writings backing this as in a spying setup, sexual linking may not always be hetero to get the job done.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Mighty Member

Fake outrage. Nobody has read it, the characters are inspired by Captain America and don't replace him. Besides some outrage warriors nobody care that much about this arc. Maybe it will be cool, maybe not, but if Stevil didn't change nothing to Captain America, it's not that arc who will change the character.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    I haven't really seen the amount of negativity/resistance to the book the OP is describing but the short answer to me behind any negativity is that there's always going to be somebody complaining about something at any given time so ignore it if you're looking forward to the book and move on.
    Some of them went after the artist for the black female one on Twitter. She had to shut off her Twitter.

1. Are they all calling themselves Captain America? Why? Why not get creative and come up with original names for them.
    2. At what point does the push for diversity become pandering?
    3. After this series...are we ever going to see any of these characters ever again?
    1 They might have actual code names.

2. So we are all suppose to just settle for reading about white heroes? And FORFIET money from those who are looking for POC leads legacy or not. Marvel wants money from those who don't care for Steve Rogers or X-Men or Peter Parker. Or are they not welcomed as super hero sales go down while more shoving of those franchises continue. You have to get the folks who don't care for Steve Rodgers somehow.

3. Lets see folks said the SAME thing about Rocket Raccoon & Squirrel Girl. Squirrel Girl is a New York Times best seller and has more solo issues than all the X-women NOT named X-23.
    If we don't see them again-WHO CARES. Marvel and DC are packed with folks we have not seen again.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Some of them went after the artist for the black female one on Twitter. She had to shut off her Twitter.

2. So we are all suppose to just settle for reading about white heroes? And FORFIET money from those who are looking for POC leads legacy or not. Marvel wants money from those who don't care for Steve Rogers or X-Men or Peter Parker. Or are they not welcomed as super hero sales go down while more shoving of those franchises continue. You have to get the folks who don't care for Steve Rodgers somehow.

3. Lets see folks said the SAME thing about Rocket Raccoon & Squirrel Girl. Squirrel Girl is a New York Times best seller and has more solo issues than all the X-women NOT named X-23.
    If we don't see them again-WHO CARES. Marvel and DC are packed with folks we have not seen again.
    I agree with your points, except I think it's reasonable to ask whether Marvel will commit to keeping new diverse characters around. Idk if that's what he's asking, though

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

2 and 3...No we don't have to settle for white heroes...in fact I am against that. But I think they should invest in diversity and give characters more of a chance to have some longevity. But the way things are most...if not all...of these other Caps are probably not going to be seen anywhere after this series. Just like a whole bunch of characters.

Spectacular Member

There is nothing specific, personally I don't care for any derivative characters. I see it as lazy and copy catting another person's genius. I think follow on artists should respect the work and continue to tell Captain America stories, or whatever character's story in the vein of of what Simon and Kirby created or whoever the creator is or create their own stuff. I think it's both lazy and disingenuous for a writer to tell the story they want to tell but use the creations of someone else to tell it without following the original idea. If they are going to use another persons creation then tell that character's story as if they were a real person that existed independently of themselves. For all intents and purposes since they came from another person's mind they do. It's even worse to create mimics of something and pretend for it to be something new or original. Again, you are just co-opting another person's creative ability for you own purposes.

Ultimate Member

What do you mean by derivative characters?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    cyclops is bottoming for logan every night
    Pics, or it didn't happen.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    In regard to Wolverine's sexuality, I'll be happy to debate it with you

You see, Logan's romance has always been with females in the main continuity. His relationship with Jean and Mariko Yashida have been part of his character and identity.
    Logan is a lost soul who is seen as a wild animal, but inside his a kind and gentle man that only a few know about this side of his.

Having him being bisexual won't fit his character or his history and will cause more questions then answers. It won't work on him like it worked with Constantine, Iceman, or how Marvel is hinting with the Black Cat. These guys have explanations, Constantine because of his history, Black Cat because of her romantic failure with Spiderman, and it just flat out works with Iceman. With Logan, it's different, his life has always been rough and has found solitude with either Jean or Mariko.
    Interesting interpretation.

I offer another possibility -- a devil's advocate, if you will. The sole directive of Logan's mutant physiology is to heal/survive by any means necessary. We all know that environment can drive a living creature's biology down any number of paths, with said creature adapting accordingly in order to meet its prime directive. Lastly, and most importantly, we all know how emotional well-being ties into our overall notion of "good health." It's partly why the idea that Wolverine has a malignant psychosis never really made sense...because one would assume that his brain would inevitably heal from any and all traumas and abnormalities.

Given all of the above, no, it's not completely far-fetched for someone like Wolverine to be bi-sexual. In fact, I'll go a step further and suggest that if Wolverine was eternally confined to a closed system with one other alpha male whom he could not kill or otherwise dominate, Logan would eventually experience changes in his hormonal balance that would effectively make him a female. This change would be the result of his body "healing" from the trauma caused by the biological incompatibility between the two remaining individuals. Crazy? Far-fetched??? Just ask frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    This one looks interesting to me...and I really hope it is who I really hope it is.
    From what I read she's the antagonist and not Filipino-American Cap Ari Agbayani (there are jokes running around the Fil-Am and Filipino communities because "ari" is slang for genitals, though it also means property or possession in general) who is in the backup story. Ari is short for "Arielle".

This is the Peach Momoko variant cover for #4
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Interesting interpretation.

I offer another possibility -- a devil's advocate, if you will. The sole directive of Logan's mutant physiology is to heal/survive by any means necessary. We all know that environment can drive a living creature's biology down any number of paths, with said creature adapting accordingly in order to meet its prime directive. Lastly, and most importantly, we all know how emotional well-being ties into our overall notion of "good health." It's partly why the idea that Wolverine has a malignant psychosis never really made sense...because one would assume that his brain would inevitably heal from any and all traumas and abnormalities.

Given all of the above, no, it's not completely far-fetched for someone like Wolverine to be bi-sexual. In fact, I'll go a step further and suggest that if Wolverine was eternally confined to a closed system with one other alpha male whom he could not kill or otherwise dominate, Logan would eventually experience changes in his hormonal balance that would effectively make him a female. This change would be the result of his body "healing" from the trauma caused by the biological incompatibility between the two remaining individuals. Crazy? Far-fetched??? Just ask frogs.
    This is the internet, so I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. You very well could be.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    This is the internet, so I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. You very well could be.
    I'm mostly just poking fun. Irrational fears and sacred cows seem to go hand in hand with this current era of comics readers.